Minimum IPD on 5k+

@anon74848233 @Doman.Chen

1 Like

Aside from IPD, some others with even above 70mm IPD reports that it is not possible to have a perfect focus if you look directly straight through the lenses with one eye closed. You have to look 10 degree left or right for perfect focus depending on your closed eye. Once you find perfect crisp focus with one eye than unfortunately other eyes get unfocused and needs 20 degree rotation of the eye/head. Neither vertical nor horizontal alignment of your head with the Pimax solves this.

I also tested with mine same result aside from IPD range issue. Either lenses, or angled panels or both are the reason obviously.

I got a IPD of 64, my IPD on VIVE was 64,5 and the image was clear on both eyes. But on PIMAX even on 59.9 there are missing some mm, maybe 2-3 to get a clear image on both eyes. Wrote a ticket maybe someday i will get a answer.

Exact same issue as you, 64.5 on Rift and still missing 2/3 mm to get clear picture.
Can you look at pixel grid having headset very flat and see if grid is perfectly vertical and parallel on both screen ?

just a thought,

I am not a techie guy saw i will put it like i think it sry.
Is Pimax using 100% of the screens?
If not, would it be possible to move the picture in the screen (software side) to align it with the lenses for those whith Ipd issues ?

The manual received with the 5k+/8k indicates the minimum IPD to use the 5k/8k is 55mm.

Pimax headsets use 100% of the vertical of the screens and around 75%-80 of each horizontal of each screen, so most of each panel on each eye is used.

Do you have also a bigger world scale?
for me everything is about 10 - 20 % than in other headsets.

yes, and also world is moving, put headset on in steam Vr home and move head fast up and down watching horizon.
I will get a replacement so i assume mine is faulty but i am afraid i will get same issues and if that is the case then will be another one for Ebay.

@anon74848233 , why in manual IPD say 55 and on headset its just 59 ?

I wrote also a ticket but no answer till now. I’m also thinking that this is a issue of my unit, because there are many people with a IPD of 60 or so and don’t have IPD issues. I think i can get used to the not 100% sharpness but the bigger world is so annoying.

No. I think they already do shift the image in software, to match the lens movement hardware.

1 Like

my IPD is 59 and I need glasses - so I hope that the HP Reverb will fit better than my Pimax …

Is there a pimax 8k/ 5k teardown / disassembling where we can see the ipd adjustment mechanic ?

Id like to revive this topic in sight of new models coming out soon. Any idea if 8kx and 8k+ would be better for people with low ipd?
Had to sell 5k+ because could not get it focused in both eyes and my ipd is 60 for reading, 63 for horizon. So really hopeful.

1 Like

My IPD is below 60 and I’ve used the + and X many hours and it’s fine. The comfort kit helps this considerably.

I have fitted a lot of 5k+ to people at conventions etc. (I’m sure 1000+ people) and I think the issue was a combination of low IPD, facial structure and especially the shape of the nose. A lot of people with low IPD (myself included) have no problems. The problems appear when either facial structure causes the headset to angle towards the nose or where the ridge of the nose is either wider or higher. The comfort kit makes a very big difference in these cases because it changes the angle and has an integrated nose appliance.

4 Likes

The problem is he already had a 5k+ & sold it. So you can imagine he really might need to try it before committing. Your xp & others with low ipd doesn’t factor with those whom did not have good early experiences unfortunately.

2 Likes

You keep saying this, BUT I bet the 1000 people you fitted, most did not have a clue what they were doing or looking for, unlike a lot of the people on this forum redit twitch ect, get your users to shut one eye and adjust so they can see the screendoor, then get them to swap eyes and I bet you they will not see screen door with the other eye, it will be out of focus, you don’t see the problem if you are not looking for it.
its eitherr that or MY 5k+ has some thing wrong with it.

Yeah
Really hopeful for the new comfort kit. it is included for backer who upgrade, right?

With 5k+ I could put only one eye in focus at a time by moving the headset a little either to the right or left. So just left it on dominant eye and it was playable. However i couldn’t get over the fact that it could be better if it was just 2-3mm narrower physically or by software. Tried a thicker face pad, which didn’t help.

P.s. its not just pimax problem. But i was able to adjust my Samsung odyssey + to feel better, although still not perfect, even with its super tight sweet spot

2 Likes

The Comfort kit comes standard on 8k+ & 8kX. I believe you need to choose the MAS or MAS Deluxe as an optional cost.

Now if you only sold the headset as a backer & not your KS account. Then you are still in line to receive stretch goals like MAS Standard Above off Ear version.

There may have been advances since you sold your og pimax headset as there are also soft ipd offsets now.

2 Likes

:+1:

1 Like