Minimum IPD on 5k+

@anon74848233

On another thread you mentioned that the min IPD was 59 however I cannot set it below 59.9 using the IPD dial. How can I get it down to 59? I note that another owner also said his headset could go no lower than 59.8 or 59.8 so not sure if this is a design issue or a problem with these two headsets? Thanks.

2 Likes

I don’t think you can get it all the way down to 59.0. As I recall, the original specs don’t quite match the reality of the delivered headsets. Set it as low as it goes and play for a while.

Is it good enough? If not, I’m not sure what you should do. It might be possible to mod the headset to lower the IPD a little more, but you’d have to open the (fragile) headset and that would void your warranty (I assume).

2 Likes

And depending on nose size and shape you might not be able to go lower.

64mm or less and my nose gets pinched between the lenses. I have 70mm ipd but the pimax ipd is not precise. I have to lower it like 4mm to get comfortable.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies. I suspect that you are right and it is a physical limitation but pimax did mention 59 so I hold out hope that there is a way to get there. I can use it at 59.9 but it is a bit uncomfortable as everything feels a bit off and so I am losing a lot of the benefit of the improved resolution that this headset is all about! I have my rift set to 59 and that feels ideal. I don’t feel any issues with “nose pinch” at min IPD.

@anon74848233 @Sean.Huang any feedback?

1 Like

yes 59.9 is is the lowest setting .

The lowest IPD setting is 59.9 for now~

2 Likes

@Sean.Huang
@Alan.sun
@Doman.Chen
You may have better answer than me

1 Like

Hi, I look forward to further detail. Specifically, what people like me with IPD below 59.9 (59 in my case as supported by the rift) can do about this as it significantly compromises the quality of the headset visuals and comfort?

2 Likes

Really interested in this too as a fellow Brit and IPD of 59mm.

I only backed as thought the range went down to 55mm? Never realised 59mm wouldn’t be supported! This is bad news…

3 Likes

@anon74848233
@Sean.Huang
@Alan.sun
@Doman.Chen

The minimum IPD setting is 59.9 for now~

Do you think there is any chance that will change for my headset or it is a hardware limitation that you would need to alter in a new headset design?

1 Like

ping @anon74848233 …

1 Like

Yes,I am thinking about this actually.More than 5 topic refliects IPD issue.We need to pay enough attention in IPD hardware.

I’m collecting the IPD issues for better internal communication.

3 Likes

@anon74848233 yes pls at the KS campaign it was said lowest would be 55, i am one of those with super low IPD around 57-58 and when i asked @deletedpimaxrep1 she confirmed lowest would be 55 and i shouldn’t worry. Seeing it not going below 59.9 concerns me a bit.

6 Likes

I would suggest you extend this to a more general investigation into the relationship between face shape and the headset since, while IPD is a key aspect, there are other aspects such as the significant effect of how far the eyes are from the lenses has on the perceived edge distortion. There are other backers who have reported other visual artifacts that may also be related to face shape such as this from @Lemming https://community.openmr.ai/t/5k-causing-significant-eye-strain/11958/8.

Maybe start a general topic of discussion on this as well to gather as much community feedback.

@anon74848233 where did you get to on this topic?

@anon74848233 pimax have a very random approach to customer service contact - helpful sometimes and absent other times. What is the status of this?

@anon74848233 why is no one dealing with this issue? you have a proportion of your backers for whom the pimax is not fit for purpose but you are doing nothing about it?

1 Like