Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 will have VR Support until End of 2020. First supported HMD will be HP Reverb G2

14 Likes

That does sound like they’re doing WMR first instead of doing the smart thing and going for OpenXR implementation right away.

5 Likes

It’s the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020… what did you expect. Interestingly though tehy are not even mentioning the other WMR headsets, although those would not require such a beefy PC to run with. But the visuals will be stunning in the G2, that’s for sure.

1 Like

True, but I think Valve didn’t go all out in their help with HP. I am somewhat convinved an Index 2 or something like that might not be too far away. Who knows, maybe Valve honors tradition and makes the announcement the exact moment Zuckerberg takes the stage at the next Oculus connect. Again.

FS 2020 will be an amazing showcase for the G2 since you need very good details to make glass cockpits readable.

2 Likes

It does seem a little silly to target G2 and not WMR, i mean I’m assuming it will work on all WMR headsets and it’s just marketing speech.

2 Likes

Maybe there are some special things in the “new” WMR since the G2 also has 4 cameras. I have no idea whether there are some peculiarities inside WMR that only the G2 can utilize for now.

Wasn’t there another Acer WMR HMD announced a while ago? Around the same time they said StarVR is still a thing.

1 Like

Maybe just add the reverb G2 stuff with regedit , there will likely be a workaround somehow

1 Like

Pretty sure there will be. The endgame for any flight sim would be something like a StarVR FOV with 8KX or G2 image quality. DisplayPort 2.0 will sure come in handy for that.

1 Like

According to Digital Foundry 4K at 60FPS is a no-go with the 2080Ti. I’m curious how much GPU power the X would need.

2 Likes

It is simply that MS didn’t have as strong of a reception on WMR as anticipated. So there driving incentive to initially buy a WMR if you want day 1 use.

2 Likes

Well the 5k is already doing more than 4k at 60fps. So DF might need to re evaluate.

2 Likes

In the Articel, at least at mixed, they mention that later vive, index and co. will follow.

I think pimax should reach out to MS or the Studio - not sure if they are interested, but it cant hurt.
I am also wondering what is the best way to buy the Simulator - through the Microsoft Store or the Steam Shop…

It will be awsome, I played a bit in the alpha - you already can turn and flip almost everything in the cockpit, I was so damn hoping they support VR, nice they are doing it and I hope it will run on PiMax soon.

4 Likes

Hope that eventually eye-tracking based DFR works with Microsoft Flight Simlulator on Pimax HMDs.

2 Likes

I do not think so. In these simulations, the CPU is the bottleneck, not the GPU.

have read, with a 9900k and 2080ti, the performance is currently below 50FPS in FullHD in bigger cities.

2 Likes

I was already afraid of this performance after watching the dev log videos and the crazy amount of computation going on. Is it single thread bottelnecked or will more cores / threads help?
With smart smooting turned on you might get away with stable 37.5 FPS on 8KX in native mode.

1 Like

Multithread but to much detailed objects, ki events e.g.
But it is not really optimized at this time… we will see.

4 Likes

25-50 FPS in FullHD! the X will minimum 2x4k

1 Like

Yup you are right. They need to optimize the hell out of it for VR even for HP Reverb G2.

2 Likes

Here some details…

5 Likes

In this software it is the GPU that bottle necks. The more GPU power you have the better - CPU not so much.

1 Like