Matteo311 review - Pimax 8KX VS Valve Index

The StarVR costs 6 times as much…btw…
:wink:

1 Like

StarVR does have reported flaws by folks here whom have it or had it. Ie if your not within the ipd sweet spot(Fixed lenses) and the low res.

So yes even $3000+ headset has flaws.

4 Likes

Yeah I did say that as well, but as I stated there are not “glaring flaws you have to get used to” in the Index or the StarVR, and the amount of flaws in the Pimax headsets do not justify the price. Do you really think taping the photodiodes to the housing is an acceptable thing in a $1300 headset?

1 Like

better start saving then huh? still cheaper than a car or a house.

One question, do you own an 8kx?

1 Like

I own the 8KX, the 5K+, Artisan, Vive, Index, HP reverb G2 and the Odyssey

1 Like

Your right it is not a “glaring” flaw to not be within the physical ipd to have a good picture.

That’s called not falling within the design specifications, and you know that. No idea why you’re being snide and trying to smear the truth.

There specs do not specify an ideal ipd range so not snide it is simply a fact. Index many have commented on glare however that is a small number.

StarVR however only had a small number of people that have one so it’s current fallout is higher with each reported flaw. There was also reports by some of mura. So there price is not justified with the low res and ipd design flaw. An ipd flaw that comes with fixed lenses.

1 Like

It is fair to say that a lot of headsets have to be RMA’d because of quality issues, (looking at you Index and Reverb G2), such as bad cables and mura, broken earphones and cable clips. Pimax also has had bad cables so I’m not really criticising them in any special part on that note, I just said they should include the FO cable with $1300 headsets.

I think that’s a seperate issue for the build quality in Pimax headsets to involve taping the photodiodes onto the housing, that’s very questionable if you ask me for the amount the 8KX costs. This is also potentially why some people may have tracking issues on their 8KX and some don’t, if that tracking issue is not due to bandwidth problems, it could be due to a varying placement of the photodiodes between each headset or even the tape attaching them losing their adhesive quality and falling off? No Bluetooth, no proximity sensor, also a big ? For a $1300 device.

Then when it comes to falling within the IPD range, no argument if you fall out of the StarVR or Index IPD, or the Reverb G2 IPD range you can’t use the device. But with the Pimax headsets even when you’re within that IPD range, you have blur issues looking straight ahead (unless you set the IPD lower than your measured IPD, which is not intuitive), that’s a type of quality issue which is glaring which is not common in any other headset.

Index and g2 are superior with Ipd due to having Mechanical adjustments vs StarVR.

FO cable is new and imagine with time it will likely be standard on both 8kX and 5kSuper. Though it seems some will need a dual usb to have extra power available as some are having issues it seems with power delivery over 1 usb3 input.

Easy $10 fix.

Ipd issues on pimax varies amongst different people. For example myself and many others do not seem to have the ipd sensitivity that some others have. My image for me is clear in both eyes and only have issues with strain if I play with soft ipd adjustments(deliberately set out to induce strain). So not pleasant if your one thst suffers it and cannot resolve it with settings.

1 Like

you forgot a “from my point of view”

there is a truth? a little overconfident, aren’t we?
may be just take some edge out of you argumentation’s
(re-reading before hitting reply can help too if you are the type for doing this)

starvr mastered the distortions for a fixed optic for sure, we have not seen if they could do the same thing in a wider ipd range with moving lenses, xtal seems to come much closer to that atm - btw the only headset comparable to a 8kx or starvr, all the other are not wide fov (and the ~8000€ of the xtal 8k are a price to mention)
the initial comparison of 8kx and valve index lags at some point as the index does not deliver wide fov
i guess there is no choice over a wide fov headset like 8kx when it comes to racing and flight sim as the outer edge will give a real perceivable immersion for speed that a vive, quest or index can’t give

next might be FPS like pavlov where you see a enemy earlier with wide fov and that might give a edge
in normal vr experiences like walking around (slow speed) it degrades to a nice added feature that might acceptable to loose for better optics, color or comfort in general (so casual gamer with low screen time might prefer a index, quest2 or reverb g2)
there is also some point in high frames per second above 90Hz when it comes to certain games (sports, beat saber) so the index might have a edge with its 144 Hz - but that also needs some more serious gpu and cpu then casual gamers might be willing to pay

4 Likes

I think one thing that makes it so tricky to really evaluate how “glaring” the issues are with Pimax is that their headsets appear to give wildly different results for different people. Some people have issues with geometry distortion, lack of depth, optic problems and others do not. I personally don’t have those issues but I know others do for whatever reason. It seems that the method that Pimax has chosen to implement their wide FOV may have fundamental issues working for some people. I just don’t know how solvable any of that is without changing their implementation method. Only they know the actual number of returns that they get so they have to evaluate if that number is great enough to make a fundamental implementation change in future headsets. On the internet forums all we have is anecdotal experience from the various forum members who choose to make a post. Right now all we can do is make personal decisions on sticking with their headsets or not. Unfortunately if you want a chance at wide FOV no one else has stepped up in this already high price range.

The items on your list like PE funding, fiber optic cable and DMAS inclusion should be no-brainer changes for a headset costing this much. It would frankly be stupid to not implement those things which can be done without having to make any manufacturing changes to the current headset.

5 Likes

Indeed and tbh it is not good to compare pimax a Mass produced headset with limited low volume produced headsets like Xtal and StarVR.

For a simplistic example if say StarVR only makes 100 headsets per month and has 10 bad shipped units that is an 10% defect rate. Where let’s say Pimax made 1000 headsets and shipped 80 defective headsets that is only an 8% defect rate.

The 80 potential bad reviews will have more visible weight vs 10 potential bad reviews.

Neither is a good number.

The same goes with number of people whom experience headset design flaws. Use ppm and you can weigh them equally by a projected count based on 1 million produced.

The only time I see distortion bad is when I’m in steam vr home…and it’s totally noticable. When I’m iracing… Palov…etc I don’t notice it . The sound is pathetic. I use my own ear buds.

1 Like

At some point the Index 2/3 is going to catch up with the 150/180 FoVs. The Xtals and StarVRs are going to come down in price and Pimax sitting in the middle is going to get its one and only USP wiped out.

Now Pimax themselves can invest in better optics before its too late but if the people at the top are as bad as PimaxUSA and in denial why would they spend the money if they think no problem exists?

Pimax can’t even put 3 buttons on their controllers when that is the standard for games. No sticks? Why bother? It just shows lack of direction from the top.

1 Like

Valve had there chance to advance FoV and they didn’t bother. Index 2? Well they have to feel the need to release one.

Xtal maybe if there still considering consumer space for future. StatVR though? Pretty much dead imho as the design team members like Lionel have moved on.

Which is why no other company has tackled higher FoV vr headsets as they don’t think it is a problem to warrant wasting the resources. Closest we have was Half Dome with no clear release and they have considerably reduced tge FoV on it; not to mention Yon iirc mentioned that Half Dome will require something like pp.

Did you follow the controller update? Stick version is almost a 1 to 1 index like clone. The trackpad has enough buttons that align with current controllers and even added a grip button. :laughing:

Yes they need to pull things together better and we likely will see a refresh in optics within 2 years time.

1 Like

Thankfully I opted out of pimax swords and got lighthouses and index controllers…

2 Likes

The potential plus now on Pimax Controllers us that we may have both in sense flavours like originally intended. As @SweViver said his current sword has sense functions as a hybrid.

EDiT: tbh I am more interested in experiencing Etee’s controllers without the mechanical parts that have been failing on the Index Controllers.

1 Like

Valve could have killed it if they put out index 2 with wider fov…better clarity then G2

2 Likes