Matteo311 review - Pimax 8KX VS Valve Index

you might take into consideration that most people only tried just one headset, there are people that had replacement headsets and they commented to need different corrections with the 2nd or 3rd so it seems more likely the headsets differ in panel and lens alignment
did you know every vive has its own lens correction measured and programmed into the headset? (left and right lens different values), that’s nothing pimax does, they treat every headset the same as there would be no verietys in production of lens or the assembly
the new hor. and vert. corrections do not change the camera positions anymore, they just move the picture on the screen, seems to be a clear indication (to me) that its alignment correction they “forgot” to do in production (or even concept) and the success of people lately might also be a indication that its a step in the right direction to get rid of the eye strain problems

also a problem is distortions and warping near the inner edge of the lens (stereo overlap area) its hideous to receive a different picture for left and right eye
as i can’t compare with other pimax headsets it might be less for others i guess but i also found some people also seeing this, my vive does not have this its lines are straight to the edge and don’t bend or get compressed
(eye’s straight and head slowly moving horizontal - so its not pupil swim, because that would be head not moving, eye’s moving and getting warping effects all over the picture)

atm at least the money you see for the cost of the separate eye tracking, it might be cheaper in bigger numbers but also makes the internals more complicated, adds weight and might make the headset even bulkier
also pimax only moves the lenses and moves the picture on the panels where other headsets move lens and screen, that also makes a difference in bulkiness and wight, one of the xtal’s problems is exactly this, bulky and heavy (beside the price of 8000€ for 8k)
you really dont want to add weight or space even further, its already like a hammer head shark and at some movements hands/controller and headset may collide

what makes you think that’s needed, no other headset needs any kind of vertical alignment (beside placing it properly on you head), xtal seems to be the proof that you don’t need this even in wide fov (beside all the other headsets not having it and working properly)

3 Likes

Definitely has to do with facial alignment and topography. I don’t have an asian face type. So the one factor people miss is adaptability. Each eye on ones face do not see things equally. Colours, focus etc… Some people like the whole you will get used to sde deal. Is widely true. Restricted FoV headsets essentially have both screens displaying the same picture with complete stereo overlap. Wide FoV has a lot more variables that are harder to control as a result and likely why no one else is really attempting to create these kinds of headsets for Joe Consumer.

Enterprise and commercial settings are better overall targets. As a commercial space ppl have a very limited time with a headset and the experience will give the wow effect during that limited exposure vs hours, days and weeks of use.

Enterprise settings again you have a limited audience using it for specific purposes and you can dial it in for that limited number of users.

1st gen is often a bit of hit and miss; just look at the early gen1 restricted FoV headsets and the lessons learned used now in what the 3rd or 4th gen restricted FoV headsets. And we know they still haven’t nailed it for everyone.

I think @Neoskynet has the right idea on lens consumer version 2. Squarish optics for main view area as it can taper off with less geo warping potential you get with rounded lenses transitioning from round to flat.

Fried eggs have greater limits.

What I really think is that if you look straight and move head horizontally and see this geometric distortions then it means that the reason isn’t optic but poorly done distortion software profile, maybe canted optics make it more complex to do universal distortion profile, I know when you mod vive with different lenses there is GitHub tools to calibrate it manually and export to the hmd through console tools, I remember on pimax we had this profile in configs, maybe if we would have a tool and firmware ability to change this profile settings on the fly from that tool to see the changes on head movement in dynamic we would be able to eliminate or at least greatly decrease amount of the geo distortions per person. Maybe later we would have a presets of those made by community which worked great for some people as I remember pimax team also offered some profiles but I don’t think it worked great though as it’s hard to calibrate for another head shape on a canted hmd displays I assume

2 Likes

its also possible it does work better for some lenses/headsets then others as it might depend of production variances, on a smaller number of headsets like starvr or xtal they might do correction profiles for every headset they produce

it is with a wider field of view (canted is just the way do to it) there is more room for you pupil/eyeball to move left an right and depending on the lens design you will get pupil swim, the correction profile only takes into account your normal view and if you gaze darts somewhere else the corrections does not fit anymore and can produce distortion effects for the wandering gaze
beside less canting and resulting in less fov (like in index) you could try different lens designs (they might have less pupil swim) or do a real time correction with eye tracking (i dont think xtal or starvr doing this its way to complicated, needs very fast tracking and rendering pipeline)

thats more difficult then it sounds as its very difficult to reproduce
best start might be to use some kind of fixed rig to measure and maybe compare 3-5 pimax headsets of the same type

lego might not be that ridiculous as it will be easier to reproduce things like setting up the camera or building a 2nd rig of the same type
beside ruling out differences in single headsets it would also be possible to take pictures of a grid with the camera in different positions like different eye relief for simulating eye’s deeper in the skull or moving the camera vertical to simulate wearing the headset to high or to low
and if someone defines how “different head shapes” is to take into account it would be measurable too

at some point you cant advance without being more scientific and lab like to reproduce things

edit:and if someone want to read more Oliver Kreylos aka Doc-Ok is a good source and this gives a good timeline to have a look of what he did

It’s already here . Varjo 3 Oled retina resolution + LCD and 115 FOV

but i believe this mixture do not work with steam games.

So tell to OCULUS to call it Quest 3 pro

1 Like

This vr oasis vid shows it does work in SteamVR. @twack3r has said he has the vr3 on order.

2 Likes

I couldn’t go back to a narrow FOV like that. For me, the 8KX is fine- I love it.

2 Likes

Varjo 3 has 115 fov in theory

It’s Bigger FOV then Varjo 1 e Varjo 2

That few people Knows

2 Likes

I will let you know how it fares once I receive it.

115 FOV is a bit more than the Index, which just passed the threshold to ‚acceptable‘ for me.

The G2 on the other hand is unusable for me because of the sub par FOV, even with custom interfaces.

5 Likes

You ordered one, @twack3r? When will you get yours? I’m actually seriously considering getting one too, but would love to hear your review first. My G2 love has cooled down quite a bit, even so much that I’m now back to the 8k-X, but damn, it’s also tons of frustration to use that thing. So the VR3 looks really interesting, it’s expensive though but still in reach for the prosumers and I’m sure you can sell it on ebay for only a small penalty. So I’m really tempted to buy it!

2 Likes

Yeah I did.

I ordered some time last week and the retailer authorized for the German market (bestware/Schenker) is stating ‚April‘ as a delivery date.

As stated, I‘m mainly getting it for the automatic IPD, the non fresnel lenses and finally the facts that a) Varjo massively increased the FOV, b) finally doubled the 70ppd focus screen and c) considerably increased the resolution of the OLED peripheral 30ppd screens to about G2 levels.

Coupled with full SteamVR compatibility this for me makes it basically a no brainer and considerably more interesting than e.g. a XTAL.

The cost is offset into my company‘s R&D budget and if the support is worth their salt I don’t mind paying a recurring fee at all.

I‘ll let you guys know what the HMD is like and where it falls short because knowing VR, there will absolutely be aspects that aren’t acceptable in the long run.

6 Likes

Ok, going to see if I can order one too. Might be a bit difficult since I don’t own a company in any of the delivery countries, but going to see if it’s possible to use my cargo forwarder in miami

EDIT

Thank you for your order.

We will send you an email with order confirmation and payment instructions soon.

First step ok but hopefully they’re not going to ask too many questions :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Update, if anyone is contemplating doing the same: today got an email from Varjo with payment link, I just paid it, still no questions asked :slight_smile: I Imagine that if they wanted to research into their client, if they’re ‘suitable’ for their headsets (like StarVR does), that they’d asked questions first. So it seems that anyone can buy the headset … Fingers crossed :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That’s great to hear, so it was $3k or €3k plus $900 per year or something like that?
I’d love to see a comparison with the 8KX and some through the lense photos if possible.

It’d be interesting to see and hear your review just how high res those fused displays in the middle are.

1 Like

Not fused just layered as similar to Nvidia Cascaded displays paper released years ago. Current implementation is more of a hardware ffr of sorts.

The yearly cost is annoying though. Hopefully that is just for tech support vs losing headset function.

1 Like

The prices with every generation have been coming down quite a lot though. I think the V2 or V1 cost $5 or $6k? Maybe in a few years they’ll release a consumer headset with no yearly service price tag?

I think CREAL is aiming to enter the consumer market as well this/next year going by their development timeline shown at CES this year.

2 Likes

What we need for this to be much better is a standard background display as used with the focused display being a custom 1:1 round vs 2 rectangles. Put that into a WFoV headset and likely have gold.

2 Likes

CREAL is doing some interesting light field tech to basically achieve a type of varifocal display, and possibly some display layering as well if I’m not mistaken.

1 Like

Did you purchase from the Varjo Store directly? Did you get the VR-3 or the XR-3? Did you just order the HMD or the yearly subscription as well?

bestware are expecting the VR-3 inbound next week, so I should have it pretty soon. Not sure yet at what point I’ll have to purchase the subsricption yet, probably once I actually want to start using it.

3 Likes

I’m not sure I understand what you mean? Is it like a layered wide fov display and a pixel dense centre displays like Pimax and Varjo technology put together? or you mean like I suggested with what Wearality and index does by using scaled up lenses and scaled up displays to give us 150+ perceived fov with 1:1 aspect ratio displays and 120 fov lenses, with the same rendering techniques and requirements we currently use in vive or oculus headsets?

Or you mean actually round displays to reduce rendering requirements instead of square or rectangular ones?

1 Like