Low Microphone on 5k+

Hi Guys!
I decided to go back to the 5k+ today and Im trying to set up the microphone but it seems like windows is showing REALLY low volume input.

How would i increase this?

I told this pimax many many times here,pitool needs a mic boost option…
otherwise you need to run some third party software to boost the mic…

I hope they will add a boost option in pitools @PimaxUSA @PimaxQuorra

1 Like

The same issue than me. Microfone is too low.

1 Like

This never happened to me before. I found an article with the app called PEACE and im trying that but it seems like its not working too well.

I think i got that app Peace to finally work. Ill keep testing… Keep in mind, its the first time i have the Vive DAS Headphones attached… I previously use headphones with a mic on them, so this issue with the actually pimax mic may have been there previously without me knowing

Unfortunately, it’s more complicated than that.

It’s a Microsoft Windows issue, which they have said they can NOT fix. (Really!) The problem is in their microphone driver. The only solution would be for Pimax to write their own mic driver, which is what other hardware companies have done. I suggest using third party software to fix it yourself, but this can be a bit of a pain.

[Update] I hunted for a link for my statement and it looks like Microsoft has FINALLY fixed it. Try this:

The microphone volume is too low

• Make sure that the microphone or headset is connected correctly to your computer.
  • Make sure that the microphone is positioned correctly.
  • Increase the volume of your microphone. Here’s how to do this in Windows 10:
  1. Select Start , then select Settings > System > Sound .
  2. In Input , ensure your microphone is selected under Choose your input device , then select Device Properties .
  3. On the Levels tab of the Microphone Properties window, adjust the Microphone and Microphone Boost sliders as needed, then select OK .
  4. Speak into your microphone and check under Test your microphone to make sure your settings work.
2 Likes

Ye thats not it. Theres no “boost sliders” under the Levels tab

2 Likes

indeed this is missing for a very long time now…

Ah, then even though that text mentions Boost, it’s still not available. (I thought this must have been a recent fix.)

That means my original statement was still true: It’s a Microsoft Windows issue, which they have said they can NOT fix. (Really!) The problem is in their USB microphone driver, which iirc was rewritten to use a generic driver library, which does not provide any way to enable Boost.

This problem applies to any USB microphone that uses the Windows driver. Mics that use their own drivers are immune to this issue.

Source: Windows 10 Driver Causes Low Volume On Any USB Microphone | PCsteps.com

According to one of the leads at Audio-Technica, the problem is entirely on Microsoft’s end. The developer I talked to specifically stated it had to do with the the way Microsoft hard coded the driver into Windows 8 and that there is nothing they can do to fix it. He also mentioned it has to do with the way the audio device is treated. It apparently treats all USB microphones similarly which screws up the gain and levels of higher quality end microphones. The tech used AT2020, the Blue Yeti, and a few others as examples of a few microphones that are affected but explained that ALL microphones are in this and that it makes most USB audio microphones sound worse than they should.

He explained that all of the higher quality condenser microphones will have low audio volumes along with worse background noise than they should. According to him, Microsoft not only knows of the problem, but admits that there is no way to fix it even on their end. The tech returned my call in a matter of minutes of calling Audio-Technica and knew of the problem immediately. He told me they had back and forth talks with Microsoft over the span of a couple of weeks about it until they stated that nothing could be done.

Source: Redirecting

The only solution would be for Pimax to write their own mic driver, which is what other hardware companies have done. I suggest using third party software to fix it yourself, but this can be a bit of a pain.

If Pimax knows this issue with Windows 10 existed and probably 90%+ of users have Windows 10 with their pimax, i would assume they appropriately made their mic drivers…

I found the article from last year with the Peace app and it seems to have boosted the input. I will test further to make sure it sticks.

Unfortunately, that’s unlikely. It seems clear that they are using the standard Windows USB Microphone driver (which has no Boost option). Why write a driver, if Windows provides one? Writing drivers is non-trivial; I speak from experience, since I’ve written drivers for Windows (but not one for a microphone, just mice, printers, and scanners).

I have used EqualizerAPO to boost the mic volume for my Corsair VOID headset. I would expect it to work for the 5K+, although have not tested it. Its a bit of a pain to configure, but it does work, and you can tweak it on the fly so you can verify its working.

1 Like

Thats the app i used equalizerAPO and Peace and it boosted the mic on the 5k+

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.