Looks like 3080Ti has just been announced

Completely normal. Why should promote 90Hz natively when it is known that it is only an experimental mode?

1 Like

Because it has been released for months now. Just doesn’t work well on Nvidia yet.

@Heliosurge Still has nothing to do with the specs in the shop.

Good thing as they have had a habbit of advertising things long before it works.

Ie 120hz upscale mode in the 8kX which ended up not being released for months after the 8kX was released and never ended up working at all being downgraded to 114hz.

So yes there learning save they advertised 90hz native awhile back with a pitool & firmware update that still not working properly save on Amd gpus(which was not advertised as working as required an rtx 3000 gpu). At least on official non test firmware that rolled out 90hz native being said to work.

2 Likes

It was just said that it could work for one or another. Nothing was promised.

1 Like

Maybe we read different updates. Only it was said required nvidia Rtx 3000 series, maybe able to get 90hz working on rtx 2000 series.

The firmware for 90hz on rtx 3000 cards seema not have had enough testing prior to launch so a public test beta could be said. And that it might work on rtx 2000 series.

Good news untested but works on the Red camp since launch. Green team is waiting on the new alpha firmware to be finished testing and released. Those whom have it have confirmed it does work as advertised vs the previous advertised released firmwares that are not working.

Okay says beta firmware.

Can I make this my desktop background? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@Heliosurge yes, I was just referring to Fabrizio’s statement that they still haven’t entered 90Hz nativ in the shop

1 Like

Missed that observation. My apologies. Yes they shouldn’t prematurely update specs on something that currently is not working.

Far too many and rightly so were pissed receiving the 8kX with the 120hz upscaled as advertised for months not being there. With only 90hz upscaled available.

Then never materializing. Being replaced with only 114hz.

2 Likes

I know this is dumb question but I have 6800xt. What pitool allows 90hz on 8kx?

Iirc 268 - 271 with the m298 beta firmware from April.

There is an Amd at 90hz topic with folks whom can provide more details.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/6900xt-8kx-90hz-native-4k-working/35759?u=heliosurge

3 Likes

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-7AjMZAUcFR3PlMlAQ8GIyc0RatTcc1O/view?usp=drivesdk

3 Likes

Good good that feels so immersive and I’m just watching a video

2 Likes

So I have an opportunity to buy a 3080Ti…does the extra 12GB of a 3090 actually matter for supersampling? Most people say they “see” a lot of VRAM allocated for games, but it doesn’t actually use that much. Tough to find VR comparisons of 3080TI vs 3090…I see a lot of people saying they can crank their 3090 up but I’m wondering if the 3080Ti will be enough.

I really just want to be able to use the Index at 150% 120Hz and 8KX 90HZ around 80% SS Normal FOV, which I think would be reasonable for most games.

Going to @ @NextGenVR @VR-TECH @risa2000 for any advice…not even sure if you’re the best to ask but you seem to test a lot and/or are in this thread

2 Likes

For your use case, I would say the 3080 Ti suffices, and with the current gpu shortage and high demand, I would buy that GPU now than wait for a 3090 to be available.

I notice that on my Varjo VR-3, it uses about 6gb more GPU memory than consumer VR headsets. I don’t know if the Varjo just allocates more of it or whether it actually uses all of it.

One thing I noticed with the 8KX is that increasing SteamVR supersampling on Boneworks improved the image and subsequently increased the amount of GPU memory and still managed to be mostly smooth.

2 Likes

Thanks. I saw that extra RAM in your video w/ the Varjo, weird. Bottom line is that even this gen can’t play every VR game with optimal resolution/refresh rates, but the 3080Ti seems to be a solid upgrade from my 1080Ti to enjoy some of the games sitting my backlog. 4000/5000 series might finally get us there combined with better rendering techniques like DLSS or the crazy Valve patent to distribute some workload to the headset for reprojection…

I do see the 3080Ti seems to do slightly better than a 3090 @ 1080p on Flat games, so that could be a +

I’m also thinking about how any newer headset coming within the next year/two should be ideal for this gen, so might as well grab it now.

The issue is that it’s the Zotac 3080Ti that’s $1699 MSRP(and that’s what I can buy it at)…so it stings to spend more than a 3090 FE…on the other hand…I can have an upgrade in my hands finally.

1 Like

factory overclocked 3080ti are faster than stock 3090s on most games. But both overclocked the 3090 will marginally outperform the 3080ti

Edit: I got the Zotac Holo Black which is overclocked from factory. All GPUs globally are more expensive, and Zotac officially stated that the cards will be more expensive than the suggested MSRP

Also, You can not find 3090 below 2k now. The cheapest I have seen now is 1,900 recently and likely sold out. To get the cheaper prices we should have purchased about 2 months ago

1 Like

Yeah nice. Mine would be the Zotac Holo (non-black, is there a difference?)

. I’ve just been seeing weird videos the last few days of youtubers saying “GPU prices are going down!” so I’m wondering if we’ll see a lot more stock soon…w/e my excuse will be wanting to play Sniper Elite VR with good graphics lol.

If this is the same card you have…do you have any benchmarks/testing conclusions?

1 Like

Lol, you also purchased the Holoblack Amp. Is the same card. Look at the picture on the upper right.

The Stocks overclock is something like 16xx MHZ while the Holoblack Amp is 1710 MHZ. And you can further overclock it

1 Like

Oh, whoops, lol. Are you satisfied with supersampling to an acceptable level? I know I should be satisfied vs a 1080ti, but I’m just worried about some games…like DiRT Rally 2.0 and all of the new flatscreen vr mods

1 Like