Launching games from PE

Are we supposed to be able to launch games from PE? Because when I do I get inconsistent results. So, I’m wondering if we’re just supposed to be evaluating the environment and layout and not its performance.

4 Likes

You should, yes… :wink:

Please post as much info as You can… :+1:

2 Likes

Yes. All SteamVR/Oculus/Revive/VivePort/Imported games should start through PE.

What inconsistent results are you getting?
Please let me know what game you specifically have troubles with.

1 Like

Beat Saber is one although I’m going today Sep. 10 go back and start from scratch with different settings to test and see if it was something I did. I’ll let you know the outcome.

2 Likes

Remember that if Steam is not running and you try to lauch Beat Saber specifically(or if u use offline mode in Steam), you wont get past the start screen. Seems that Beat Saber requires Steam to be running online in background

1 Like

Steam, or SteamVR? If just steam, there are ways to autostart it without it demanding the user’s attention, even if offline mode is set.

Various workarounds have been needed, but have proven reliable over the past ~2 years or so. I recommend the stuff I have gathered, from lines 104 to 127, in addition to ‘-silent’ flag. It is commented out because I haven’t needed to start steam preemptively in a while.

You may find these bits particularly useful.

(ping 8.8.8.8 -n 2 -w 9000) || timeout /NOBREAK 20

Waits 9-18 seconds if internet is not up. At least SteamVR stuff is more reliable this way.

tasklist /nh /fi “imagename eq Steam.exe” | find /i “Steam.exe” > nul || (start “” “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe” -silent)

Line I would actually use to start Steam. Checks whether the process is already running first.

2 Likes