Key questions about 8K VR ? List here

Dear All,
Any key question regarding 8K VR, you can list here and we will try to answer in more details.

1 Like
  1. What will the available input resolutions be?
  2. Will there be any sort of Asynchronous Spacewarp equivalent?
  3. Will it be possible to run the Brainwarp at something like 60hz (doubled to 120hz) to save on gpu power
  4. Do most games support foveated rendering so that the peripheral is rendered at a lower resolution or can your driver handle that automatically?
  5. I had asked this before but you weren’t sure yet if it would be included or not, but will the kickstarter version include integrated headphones and microphone like the oculus rift?
2 Likes

Are you planning to support extended mode?
If so, what is the expected maximum resolution?

1. How will the IPD mechanism work ? Will it just move the lenses or also the panels ?
  2. Will the headset be able to run 2*4k@90hz natively ?
  3. Will Brainwarp interpolate frames ? Can you elaborate a bit more about how it works ?
2 Likes

Will it support steam vr tracking 2.0 and knuckles controller?

Does the 8k model have manual focus?

1. Will kickstarter version (including first batch in december) be equal to retail or not? I understand you can’t give 100% guarantee, but how you are planning this? Do you plan to be in time to make all improvements and fixed until december? Or big chances that this will not be final version of hmd? If yes, do you plan to give kickstarter backers opportunity to exchange to final consumer version? (I send you back old version, then you send me new). Because this would be really bad situation if we will be forced to use unfinished (/ weaker specifications / worse quality / buggy) product or pay again significant money to order one more. Of course this exchange can be for additional payment, to cover your delivery and even more (but not big for example 100$). This way you don’t lose anything because can disassemble old version and use parts to make new.
  2. Was geometric distortion/warping and binocular overlap changed to better significantly from january? There was dissatisfied evaluation of this in january from roadtovr.
1 Like

I understand there will be external connections on the headset, such as analog audio for the earphones and USB for the Leap Motion hand tracker. Do these have standard connectors? (The OSVR HDK and HTC Vive both have a full size USB type A connector for expansion.)

Are the earphones on the headband with them included detachable, or should users who expect to try other headphones (for instance, I backed the Ossic X) order both headstraps?

Are you planning to support open source headset driver frameworks such as OSVR or OpenHMD? Having source would allow development using more platforms. Documentation would perhaps be even nicer, and the common approach of having to reverse engineer drivers with pointless circumvention (what’s the threat here? selling more devices?) seems overly unfriendly.

I understand the recent FAQ post mentioned a X model, which would have dual DisplayPort connections for driving both panels at maximum rate similarly to how the prototype version operates (this would not require stream compression). Does the X model support upscaling to both displays from one DisplayPort, like the non-X? How much heavier is it (I expect the cable would be bigger and stiffer)? Also, given we have a rescaler, what is the range of resolutions and refresh rates supported? For comparison, on my ST1080 I can choose between upscaling in X (960*1080 60Hz per eye), Y (1920x540), XY (1280x720) or refresh rate (1920x1080 30Hz). Another type of scaling we might like to try is chroma subsampling (such as YUV 4:2:2).

Does the 5K version have OLED screens?

Frequent Asked Questions, please refer to http://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-8k-vr-frequent-asked-questions/2958

For less frequent asked questions:
@evertec 2. spacewarp, yes. 4. we will have eye tracking module to enable foveated rendering.
please check 1, 3, 5 in the FAQ

@crony extended mode not supported

@Sjef 1. move lenses, no need to move panels. + software adjustment. 2. there will be possibly a 2DP version. 3. check FAQ

@vpetain please check FAQ

@Heliosurge yes, please check FAQ

@TForm4 please check FAQ.

@LoneTech please check FAQ yes we will open source based on the need from the crowd.

@anach we offer an option to customize 5K oled.

Why is the maximum input 2560*1440 per eye when DP 1.4 would support 4K per eye with DSC enabled?

1 Like

Thanks for the response. For foveated rendering, I was talking more about the software support. I know the eye tracking module is coming, but you wouldn’t even need that to do foveated rendering on the standard 8k since you wouldn’t even notice the lower resolution on the peripheral pixels.

1. Will foveated rendering be native 4k in the center or will it still be limited to 1440p?
  2. when will the optional pimax headband with the integrated audio be available?
  3. Are you sure it’s a spacewarp equivalent (spacewarp reprojects depth, while a timewarp equivalent reprojects translational head movement), and not a timewarp equivalent?
  4. does the pimax 8k use valves new sensors inside the hmd? As I understand it, you can use the new sensors with the old OR new lighthouses, you can’t use the new lighthouses with the old sensors.
  5. what time in the United States EST does the Kickstarter go live?
  6. is the integrated mic high quality? Better than the vive I hope…
  7. are there any USB ports on the device?
  8. what is your partnership with valve? Did they help at all in anyway?
    @deletedpimaxrep1 @PimaxVR @PIMAX-Support @PimaxSWD

Even if games will support foveated rendering some day (2019 ?) then that’s not going to change anything in terms of bandwidth, so it will still be limited to 1440p.

Bandwidth not an issue with display port 1.4, which is in the 8k.

Read this thread man, @deletedpimaxrep1 claims otherwise. Max 1440p input.

I did but elsewhere she said it CAN do native 4k per eye, but you’ll need a 1080ti to do it

Only the special ‘X’ version that’s due for Q2-Q3 in 2018 she said.

I thought she said the Kickstarter version would.

On FAQ page I read the following,

What does it mean that consumer version will be better “crafted”? So it’s not just a packaging? Does this mean it will be using better materials compared to kickstarter version?

Also, what sjefdeklerk mentioned above,

What’s this special ‘X’ version? I am fairly new to Pimax forum and it’s confusing what products are releasing on what schedule.

If this X model is indeed coming out, the kickstarter backers will be basically buying a product that will be out-performed by a new product within months?