KDMAS and 5k+ fit, not great

Thanks for the info but looks like I was talking nonsense. It’s the gaps at the sides of the Comfort Kit that let in light but when playing you can’t see it anyway.

The slackness at the sides does of course make the headset wobble when sharply turning your head so perhaps thickening the padding there might help with that.

It also turns out that tightening the knob as much as I would like results in pain in the face after 15 minutes of playing or so so I probably wouldn’t want it so tight that it slips undone again as it does.

The whole headset sits higher on the face than I am used to which results in black areas when I look down but I cannot see the edge when I look up and raise my eyebrows. Would be better then if it sat a bit lower to have a more balanced view up and down. More likely to look down at things so I must’ve always had it a bit lower with the cloth strap and default foam. Whether I had it out of the sweet spot or not I don’t know.

1 Like

Have you tried loosening the top strap? You should be able to adjust where the headset sits on your face.

3 Likes

Yes. If it is too low it puts pressure on the nose but then upon examining it it would have done so even with the default foam. The comfort kit must change the angle or distance or something else. Perhaps I had the headset a lot closer to my face before and therefore the bottom was more in the periphery. I notice a bit more distortion in the left side of the right eye and right side of the left eye where the overlap is so it must be because it is further away from my eyes. As long as it’s the sweet spot, lens wise, I it should be an improvement overall.

I am thinking that this is how it was supposed to be and without the comfort kit it was too close.

1 Like

The back pad needs to cup the lower backside of your head. You will likely need to force the hinges past the stops as the hinges are reported still not fixed. Pimax has endorsed forcing the hinges past the stops. There should be a couple of posts on this.

Be careful over tightening the head strap by the knob as a couple of people have had the knob snap off via the shaft. I do wish pimax had put more care into this. They could have used a ratcheting mechanism that has the same robustness as welding helmets with also giving it the press quick release option.

3 Likes

After some testing, having it further down the back of the head doesn’t help that much but all in all I am happy with it.
One thing I did notice that if you tilt your head up to look up at something the back of strap gets pushed by the back of my head leading to the headset pushing tighter on my face and on certain movements the knob slips. I will just need to have it a bit slacker over all.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed this too. It can be jarring enough to break my immersion, but I still think the comfort strap is an improvement over the old cloth strap.

1 Like

Too right. The biggest problem for me with the cloth strap was that if I looked down towards the floor, say to pick something up, the headset would pull away from my face so I always had to sort of hold it with one hand while picking whatever it is up.

I solved that problem with a DYI counterweight (on my 8K). I’ve got a commercial pair of counterweights on my 8KX as well. It’s not strictly necessary, but they do improve the comfort.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/new-8k-x-mas-counter-weights-available-now/31592?u=neal_white_iii

2 Likes

(5K+ with KDMAS)

Personally I put on the HMD on my face and center the sweet spot with the cloth strap completely loose. I then pull the back padding to the lower rear portion of my skull and tighten the rear wheel slightly to hold in place (still holding the HDM with one hand on my face). Once “snug” I then tighten the top cloth strap to put almost all the pressure of the HMD on my forehead (using comfort kit). Then I fully tighten the wheel to my comfort. Using this method there is no pressure at all on my nose and I have no light leakage around the edges. I can shake my head and I cannot feel the HMD moving (barely). Looking up, down, left, right…the HMD sits solid. I have a normal/smaller size head.

Build quality - When I first got the KDMAS I was extremely gentle with it due to how fragile it felt. Now I just throw it on and go. I crank down on the adjustment wheel hard and fast. It feels really fragile, but it seems to be holding up fine even without being gentle with it.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.