Just tried the quest 2

I just tried Q2, and… WOW. Much better color, much easier to find sweet spot than my 8KX which I want to sell away :joy:

10 Likes

i just bought the quest 2 also,the screens are very nice i must say!

5 Likes

yeah, it’s really pity that Pimax screens or thier firmware are so crappy, only XR for me was more or less good, but everybody else on market literally apart of cheap & some Chinese HMDs have better picture.

Pimax seriously needs to take picture quality (not only sharpness & resolution but the overall perceived image & experience) into consideration if they want to move forward in VR business. Otherwise once anybody does the big FOV like StartVR did & with at least Pimax level support & integration for apps & price tag (about 1500$) the it’s a real trouble maker for them. IMO they can exist only due to their marketing strategy, baiting & FOV with reasonable price. Also they need to consider lenses enhancements.

My Q2 was shipped 12.10, but I guess its 1-2 weeks away from me, but I most likely won’t use it as much as I use Q1 due to the same points which @Arno stated above: https://community.openmr.ai/t/just-tried-the-quest-2/32272/13?u=teigue

But just want to have modern Oculus mobile platform as their software one of the best in VR segment & they put a lot of effort their, so good cameras tracking, so easy to setup.

I guess I can try to butcher Q2 & put the battery out from the front part & use only HTC powerbank QC3.0 on the back it will improve the comfort significantly, but even now wit al lthe mods (DAS, rubberised bracket from VR Cover, HTC powerbank as counter weight + 6hours gameplay & others ) it’s really comfort HMD

3 Likes

My Quest 2 isn’t scheduled to arrive until next Monday but just wanted to drop in a counter opinion on the Pimax 8KX picture quality. I was messing around with my 8kx last night and started up the Outerwilds VR mod and was struck by how good the image looked. The colors looked very good to me and of the course the resolution looked great. I do wish the sharpness of the image was in a wider area of the screen but even with that shortcoming everything still looked great with no perceived distortions. The 8KX definitely would benefit from some improvements to the lenses, and I know that some people have not been able to get a good optical fit with the headset, but man does it look good if you are able to find that good optical fit. I am hoping that my Quest 2 will work with my 71 IPD but I will be truly surprised if it can give me an experience better than what I saw in the OuterWilds last night.

6 Likes

i tried to look for mura,but couldnt find it on the quest 2… the 8kx need this!

1 Like

I think if pimax could use the display calibrations that @neelrocker mentioned using that out of the box base colors could be maximized. I think if mem serves he mentioned color profiles from his tuner.

Think this might be his discussion

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-feature-requests-post-here/26363/13?u=heliosurge

1 Like

Thats exactly the point why many germans including myself will stay away from the Q2 even if they could import it. Lets hope the Hacking- and Homebrewscene manages to root the device and gets a custom ROM done.

5 Likes

Got my quest 2 yesterday and will say in the menus it is much clearer than my pimax Artisan. It seems like the fov is noticeably worse than my quest 1 for some reason.
No screen door effect. But the fov compared to even my Artisan is a no go for Pcvr. I’ll keep it to play some quest games but zero chance of using it for sim racing.

Also played it with Virtual Desktop… I have a 5ghz router, and had it on its own dedicated channel…For me the clarity is not at all on par with The rift s and certainly not with my Artisan. Not…Even. Close.

Have the g2 or order also, if that arrives and has similar FOV to the quest 2, there’s zero chance of me keeping it.

2 Likes

Interesting you say the clarity isn’t as good as the Rift S. I found it to be far better than the rift s, better than index, and only behind the Reverb and 8K X. What settings did you have VD at? Did you make sure to set the visual quality to high and steamvr supersampling high enough?

2 Likes

Updated to the most recent version and enabled Max settings in VD.

1 Like

We’re at the resolution now where the limiting factor BY FAR is compression for clarity, both with VD and link. I would agree - scenes below 140mbps even on max quality, it looks worse than a rift S. Its annoying because for ~20 seconds you can have stunning clarity, then boom compression like an online video stream.

I’m positive that when link is updated it will be far superior to even the index. From the few moments I saw where the panels truly shined, it’s no contest.

As far as FOV goes, are you on setting 3 (68 ipd)? that setting has an ABYSMAL 86° FOV. on normal, its about identical to quest 1. I do notice the view is almost more rectangular if that makes sense? Reminds me of 90hz pimax vs 120hz if you’ve used a 5k. In app measurement, the FOV is identical for me.

The reverb will have 20 degrees more FOV. IMO, the G2 looks to be in a great spot. I’m struggling making the Q2 my go to HMD with that tiny fov. But 115ish may be enough.

3 Likes

299$ in USA, 349€ in EU, it’s a steal, it’s time for pimax (and valve!) to review their pricing as nobody is going to purchase a 5k or an index anymore that will costs 3 times more (for a full solution)

1 Like

i toke the faceplate out off the oculus quest 2 to test( many years ago i needed also to take out the faceplate out off the oculus cv1) and put some thin foam in it…

result a very nice field off view with amazing clarity…

4 Likes

It’s a good entry price for sure. Though unfortunately FB has a lot of stigmata concerns which may or may not be valid.

On the bad if they suspend someone’s FB account does that block them from Oculus Home?

As for data mining the same concerns can be attached to any Headset on a platform. WMR has active cameras, HTC and Valve also have cameras mounted on them.

I know people today whom still stick a peice of tape over a laptop’s web cam.

Any device that can use Voice commands could also be doing more.

As long a pc or gaming console is online there is risk of Cameras and Mics being active. Either by design or someone hacking the security. This was a concern for example with XB1 when the Connect 2 was going to be standard.

Add ET to any headset and these concerns can be present. Bladerunner anyone?

5 Likes

I’ll give that a shot, you have to take off the facial interface to put on the elite strap anyway (which i view as mandatory, I haven’t even tried using the jock strap yet).

I had iffy results with 6mm foam on my vive. I think to some extent your eyes are meant to be a certain distance from the lenses… seemed to mess with things on a non-ipd related level. That said, you can move the lenses for fitting with glasses on vive so maybe I’m just full of it.

1 Like

I had the Rift s and now the Quest1 for a year, and Q1 is far clearer…how could Q2 not be on par? Did you mean the opposite, that it’s better?

Does someone really cares about those sci-fi user control fears ? Blade Runner is exactly the place where that’s true, this is real world fortunately.
what someone that would like to enter the vr thing really cares, is 700+ € more in his pocket from a trusted company. I like Pimax don’t get me wrong, but my hmd has broken angles and is buggy, sometimes i get an horizonal belt on the screen and i have to reboot it, the software is still beta, it works perfect when it works but it’s not something that you are goingto suggest to a friend given its price and its current state. They can do better in both ways, already doing on quality and they should do better with pricing. I’ve purchased recently the comfort headface, i’ve payed 80€ taxes for import, they should have a local warehouse to send stuff in EU, imagine taxes for a 1100€ hmd!

I remember getting my 5k and immediately getting that horrible horizontal bar with split vision. was convinced it was broken! I think that’s related to DP signal integrity actually. Had the issue a lot with my 1080 FE and have never once seen it with my 2070 super. Reseating the DP fixes it.

Unfortunately though, a ton of people are that afraid of being watched. My last boss, president of an electrical engineering company no less, taped his webcam like helio mentioned. Always made me think less of him tbh :rofl:

@jTeller Oculus themselves stated that quest is ~80% the clarity of Rift S in pc games. The resolution is much higher, but pentile is pentile. IMO the quest 1 has great resolution, just really nasty SDE. Since link is still on quest 1 resolution, the benefit currently is just the 3 vs 2 subpixels (which is still a HUGE improvement) and upscaling to a higher res panel.

4 Likes

Not done too much with my quest 2 yet… but I did have a very quick go at this virtual desktop sideloading processes. Then streamed my desktop from pc wirelessly and that worked, was also nice to see the hand tracking work in there too. Next thing to try is a couple of pcvr games, wired and dun dun dunnnn hopefully wireless!? :astonished:

But just to say so far I’m really impressed with the visual quality and gut feeling is it’s the best I’ve seen overall from any HMD yet. There is a little glare but not index level, SDE is practically gone, some good clarity and resolution in there, black levels look reasonable.

I’ll have a go at some side by side comparison with my index once I’ve had a bit more of a play… tbc

3 Likes

Somehow I doubt Pimax are well positioned to do the loss leader thing, though. :7

4 Likes