Just recieved my pimax 8kx kit. Advice on what I should do next?

Thanks for your feedback, I will research some more. But im pretty certain this is my issue, because the center of the lenses are a few millimeters to the outer side of my pupils, on the lowest setting. This has me looking through the inner ring sides, instead of the center ring. Its very blurry. When i move the whole headset to the left or right, and my one eye is in the center ring, then it becomes crystal clear. Though I did notice the fov size and outer distortion, gets worse. To me it logical that the only way to fix this, is to bring the lenses closer to the center of the headset, than they can originally go. In these reddit threads, the people that did this mod had the same ipd as me at 64, and they claim it fixed their blurry issue, perfectly.

Dude iā€™ve seen others say this too, that u have to launch from pitool in order for pitool settings to kick in, but my experience is contrary to that. For example AC and msfs i never launch from pitool but as long as any settings changes have been Applied and Saved they take effect regardless.

2 Likes

Exactly.

As long as the settings have been applied You donā€™t have to launch from PiTool.

Thereā€™s no magic going on as far as I know.

Itā€™s just ā€œload settingsā€ ā†’ ā€œlaunch gameā€ā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thats my point. all the settings have to be applied prior to launching

Theres no process watcher applying them for you automatically like vorpx or oculus tray tool does.

which is weird now that i think about it, it would be so easy to do. I donā€™t even think PE did thisā€¦:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

And with development haulted I wouldnā€™t expect it anytime soon.

If this were open source I would do it myself.

Funny thing is PE started as a passion project built by @SweViver , it was the perfect candidate for open sourcing

1 Like

small objection, higher pitool requires less processing power vs. SteamSS. So there is some FPS extra. :wink:

2 Likes

But they donā€™t, pitool merely needs to be running (which it will be so that your bsā€™s/controllers are tracked).
Only any new settings need to be applied & saved, otherwise just have pitool running in the same state it was with your settings (no need to apply & save) and start x game in whatever way u like, its just like vorpx! Iā€™m not sure if pitools can even autostart with windows too? Not sure.

1 Like

The problem here is that most of the pitool settings require either restart of the game or restart of SteamVR (which also requires restarting the game). So even if pitools monitored for the game having been started by other launchers, it would be too late for it to automatically apply settings for that game.

For it to actually work this way, it would have to kill the game process and/or SteamVR, apply the settings for that game, and then relaunch the game again. That would be very bad and problematic behavior, and it shouldnā€™t do that.

So really, in order to make this work, all pitool configuration would need to be changeable on the fly without requiring software restarts. But I suspect this limitation is not because of Pitool, but rather because SteamVR and/or the game canā€™t handle these settings changing underneath them. I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything Pimax can do about it. Support for it would have to be added to APIā€™s maintained by other companies.

I did do testing to verify that pitool does not monitor starting games through other launchers just like it says. If you want it to automatically apply pitool settings for that game, you have to launch it from pitool. Pitool will apply the appropriate per game settings then automatically launch SteamVR and the game.

3 Likes

Any pitool setting that affects Resolution target generally needs a restart of SteamVR/Game
So FoV, PiRender, PP.

PiRender higher with SteamSS lower as you said gives better fps and visually ppl say PiRender higher gives better results than SteamVR SS setting.

1 Like

Is there any test data to back up this claim?

I just ran a quick test series myself with pitool quality set at 1.0, 1.25, and 2.0 and with SteamVR resolution adjusted to match such that final render resolution was 4960x3160 in each case. No change in either FPS or visual quality was observed.

I strongly suspect that this claim is just a rumor that floats around on these forums or possibly was true at one time but isnā€™t the case anymore with more recent software/firmware.

no rumor. Here somewhere in the forum there should also be a few comparisons with OpenVR Benchmark from me. Iā€™m too lazy to search though. itā€™s been 1 or 2 years.

for your test, think your render resolution is to high to compare. You are in the CPU limit.

1 Like

No rumor as many users have stater this and if not mistaken both @SweViver and @pimaxUSA. Have also said this as well.

General recommendation has been 1.25 to 1.5 in PiRender.

However some games often Unreal prefer 0.75 to 1.0 due to some titles crashing if set higher.

2 Likes

OP like you Iā€™ve trialled a pimax 8ks over the weekend and my only gripe is the slight but constant jitter when connected to a lighthouse.

How do you find the jitter? I.e even when still, objects seem to subtly move a little. Compared to something like the vive pro 2 which is silky smooth.

Ps: Iā€™m unable to post a new thread (access denied type error).

would like to help you, but only have LH1.0 stations. :frowning: Theyā€™re probably a little more stable.

For threads, think @Heliosurge can give you a upgrade.

1 Like

Welcome to the OpenMR!

Bob when reading a topic in an area where you want to create a topic press the [+] on top bar it should populate Category properly. Have also bumped your user level by one.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I have - only one of them though BUT Iā€™m seated. Only use it for sim racing.

ok, make sure the station is at least 1.5 m away. More is better. Laterally, something above is good.
Ahh, and reflections can make a little bit trouble with only on station.

1 Like

You may need to raise the lighthouse higher and adjust downward angle. @neal_white_iii may have some suggestions.

1 Like

Thanks Iā€™ve managed to post now :slight_smile:

1 Like

ā€¦ Will reply in new thread :+1:

1 Like

https://community.openmr.ai/t/rtx-30-series-discussion-part-2/31656/182?u=dstar

2 Likes