Just can't get IPD settings right on the 8KX

it seems for me that 8kX has 2mm wider distance between lenses circle centres on minimum IPD mechanical setting, it explains why you have less luck with it & indeed your IPD is on edge for 5k+, maybe 2 mm difference isn’t so big deal but 4mm is.

The X looks wider as well:

Ah, yes, that may well make all the difference then…hmmm

I have an IPD measured around 63, but instead of lowering the pimax ipd to the min (60), like I did in the fist place and like a lot of people do, I ended adding 2mm to it instead, so I use 65mm (on a 5k+)
both of my eyes aren’t looking at the clear center of the lense at the same time, but one of my eye is often on this area, and this is apparently enough for the brain to build a clear stereoscopic vision.
So to say it with other words, you are not supposed to put the center of the lenses at the same distance from eachother as your IPD with pimax headset.
this is not the way they are designed .
If I do that I won’t have the full 3D potential of the pimax, nor the good world scale.
So, if your IPD is 62, you should start with 62mm pimax IPD (by using both offset and wheel if needed) and see if you can add few more millimeters, depending on the foam you use.
foam and inclination of the headset are more important for the clarity than trying to match center of lenses to the eyes.
I just did a 3houres sessions and the image was pure clarity, although the center to center distance is 2mm wider than my far IPD
It was way cleared than few days ago, just before I changed something in my comfort mod. (inclination and distance)

wow, I didn’t know the X had a different geometry

Unfortunately the problem for me is not that, I’ve never had any particular issue with stereoscopy, scale or depth on the 5k+ or 8KX.

I’m looking through inner sections of the lenses which are on the border of the sweet spot and where the lens starts to distort. If I increase the mechanical IPD from minimum, the distortion will rapidly increase to the point that any text, for example, is completely illegible in one eye. Any significant different between eyes will always lead to eye strain or headaches, so it can never be that way for me.

image was pure clarity

This is the problem for me, there is no setting I can find, after trying every setting many times, that provides pure clarity in both eyes when looking straight ahead. A slight blur is the best I can do. Glancing left or right is worse, because then one eye becomes clear, while the other eye becomes more distorted.

@Miracle @PimaxQuorra @PimaxUSA can you shed any light on @Teigue’s post about the distance between the sweet spot on the lenses? Does the 8KX have a few extra mm compared to the 5k? The unit looks physically wider as well.

I was just about OK putting my eyes in the sweet spot on the 5k+ to get clarity in both eyes, but I just cannot do it on the 8KX. I thought the units were the same in this regard, but perhaps the 8KX is wider by a few mm?

Other than that, my last hope (which is not sure to be an answer, as discussed earlier) is to increase the distance even further between eyes and lenses beyond the thick pad I am using. I tried the velcro that I had on the 5k+, but that did not help. I’ll try to double the thickness again and see, but I suspect the unit is just fundamentally wider.

@SweViver sorry I know you’re very busy with PE but just in case you have any thoughts on sweetspot and clarity issues on 8KX vs 5k+. I would dearly love to get perfect clarity in both eyes!

What I mean is that I have pure clarity while both of my eyes are NOT on the sweet spot.
My point is: you only need one eye to be in the sweet spot for your brain to build an overall clear 3d image.
And since we move our eyes a lot when looking at something, it leads to an overall good quality image.
In the contrary if you try to have both of your eyes in the clear part of both lenses, then you have a clear image just in the middle but as soon as you look somewhere else, both of your eyes will look through a blurry part of the lenses and this is way worse that having one eye only in the clear zone.

OK, but I don’t. I get pure clarity / crispness by closing one eye, turning my head, and looking at things from an angle, which of course is not practical. I get slightly blurred detail when looking head on, because either one or both eyes aren’t clear. It’s not behaving the same for me as the 5k+.

Overall it is acceptable and still looks good (no SDE compared to 5k+) - as long as I don’t glance too far left or right, or try to read long lines of text. Plus it’s not giving me eye strain or a headache. But pure clarity with both eyes is lost.

[Sorry to rez an old’ish thread…]
I specifically joined because I saw your post. @Octofox Did you ever find a solution? I have literally the same issue with an IPD of about 61-62 except my 5k+ is blurry and I could never get it to line up right.

I wholly and completely disagree with SpencerGrant. Both of your eyes are supposed to be in the center of the sweet spot as much as you can manage. We have low IPD and being outside is sweetspot is what causes the blurring.

What did you end up doing Octofox? My headset just collects dust :frowning:

P.S Does anyone know if the G2 supports a physically lower IPD?

1 Like

Hey, so there’s quite a few people who encountered this issue with the X. But one thing is that it wasn’t nearly so bad for me for the 5k+. Is the blurriness in one eye, or perhaps both when looking ahead? I’ve encountered both these issues on the 5k+ and X. Managed to mostly solve them, but took some fiddling.

1. Personally, I pretty much solved it by swapping the 8KX comfort kit with the 5k+ cowling. I have always needed thick foam too, any thin foam makes it unusable with distortion and fishbowl effects. I bought a VRMust thick foam because Pimax only supplied me with a thin one and still haven’t managed to send me a better one.

I made a later post about that here: https://community.openmr.ai/t/pleased-to-say-i-just-managed-to-fix-most-of-my-8kx-lens-issue-by-swapping-ck-gasket-with-5k-one/32337

Appreciate it may not work for you if you also had 5k+ plus issues, but worth a shot.

As if by magic, there’s a new post about how to remove the old cowling, which is quite tricky compared to the Comfort Kit: https://community.openmr.ai/t/comfort-kit-removing-face-cowling-step-by-step-pictures/33010

There are other factors of course. Hardware IPD and software IPD combination (what is your IPD and what do you set these things to?). Also vertical offset, and also strap comfort and counterweight - these can reduce slippage if it’s hard to keep your eyes in the small sweet spots.

This is mine now: https://community.openmr.ai/t/pleased-to-say-i-just-managed-to-fix-most-of-my-8kx-lens-issue-by-swapping-ck-gasket-with-5k-one/32337/11?u=octofox

1. The latest PiTool has finer IPD adjustment, including per eye. This is great news and has helped some people already. I haven’t tried it yet but I will do - as it doesn’t integrate with Pimax Experience yet, I might wait for a version that does. This will eventually also provide an actual IPD setup guide, which I’d really like to see. I’ve done what feels right, but no idea if it could actually be much better. I’ve played around and reached settings that seem OK.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-1-0-2-086/32958/5?u=octofox

1. G2 IPD, I see this:

“57-58mm IPD, how will my G2 experience be?”

"A little off, but probably not enough to be an extreme detriment to using it. The IPD slider on the headset ranges from 60-68mm, so even at the lowest setting it wouldn’t be perfectly ideal for you.

The Valve Index has a physical range of 58-70mm, so might suit you a bit better"

Hope that helps!