Jitter with Pimax 5K

Hi everyone,

We bought two Pimax 5K+ from an original backer last year, and we have been so happy about them that we recently bought two more Pimax 5K+ directly from the Pimax european store.

As I said the previous ones worked so well that we were really surprised when we plugged the new ones and found that the image to be quite jittery with the new models (which we do not experience with the other models we have). Even when the headset is placed stationary on the desk, the image jitters (we can see the controllers shaking in the view, while they are also on the desk) with the new models we received.

Of course we have been doing our tests with two computers and the same setup (notebooks equipped with RTX 2080 or 2070, 2 steamVR lighthouses, valve index controllers), and we have the same problem on both.

With one of my colleague we found this small application on reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4f9h4i/very_very_rudimentary_program_for_testing_your/) for testing the Vive’s jitter and applied it to our Pimax headsets, and got the following value range:

• New Pimax 5K+: Positional Max Deviation (from 2 to 10) / Standard deviation (from 0.5 to 2) (with quite a bit of variety in the values we get)
  • Original Backer Pimax 5K+: Positional Max Deviation (around 0.5) / Standard deviation (around 0.1) (values are way more consistent…)

Looking on the same reddit post, we have the impression that the values we get with the Pimax 5K+ we got from the original backer are way closer to what we would expect, and which is both visually better and also closer to values reported for other headsets like HTC Vive.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced a similar problem and found a workaround?

Also to be honest we seem to have another problem with one the DP/USB cable, as we cannot get the HMD to recognized with one of the cable, so we only have managed to tests the 2 new HMDs with the same new DP/USB cable.

We also plan to contact Pimax directly as we ordered them quite recently, but we were interested to know if anyone had an idea of where the problem might come from.

Cheers

6 Likes

Hi there and welcome to the forum :slightly_smiling_face:

Would the color of your new 5K+ by any chance be blue instead of black ?

2 Likes

Hi,

Yes the two new models are indeed blue (dark blue), while the older models were black. I assumed that it was simply that the frame evolved since the first release.

2 Likes

I have an 8Kx with blue housing as well, and jitters are a constant thing that I have had intermittently since purchase. My 5K+ on same setup is rock solid. Using two valve (2.0) light house’s on different channels and diagonally located on room corners. Only thing I haven’t tried is testing with 1 lighthouse, so I’ll give that a go. 9 axis tracking and image is rock solid.

2 Likes

I have also tried with a single light house, and have the same problem. I originally thought it was a lighthouse problem, but I’m less and less confident that this is the case, as they work perfectly with the other 5K+ (black housing) and with an HTC Vive.

I don’t know how bad the jitter is on your 8Kx, but on the 5K+ I have which has the problem I can hardly use it for more than 15min without starting to feel unwell (which is definitely not happening with the other 5K+).

1 Like

Sorry for cut in to your post, but I also owe an 8k x and having some trouble with stutters, I was able to get ready of it by bring a windows in front the VR desktop like the windows key menu for example. just try it and see if does the same.

1 Like

Are you referring to placing a random desktop window in front of the open PE or Pitool window in order to take the “focus” away from the VR app and this has solved your jitter in VR?

2 Likes

I will give it a try and see what I get, but my impression is that stutter and jitter are different things. For me stuttering is more a lag that happens intermitently (but an be often), while jitter is more of a noise in the headset orientation.

Does not cost much to try anyway and see if that solves the problem, but seeing that it happens with one HMD and not an older one seems strange then.

1 Like

Correct, but got frustrated with this and did a complete OS reinstall and got a MSFS2020 Steam version, so far so good.

Hello,

Have you ever got some ways to solve your problems? If not , We suggest you log a ticket to our technician .And please provide the ticket number after you created ,we will urge them to response on it.

Sincerely!

Hi,

No I still have the same problem. I wanted to know if anyone had feedback in the community first, in particular if anyone experienced a similar issue, but I finally created a ticket his morning to get feedback directly from the Pimax Support (Ticket 12216).

Thanks for your message in any case!

Regards,

You have any luck resolving this? I just got a warranty replacement Blue 5K+ and seem to have a similar issue.

Hi Captain_Bosh,

I logged a ticket, and after a technician tried a few things they asked me to send it back, which I did last Friday. So it seems to be a problem with the headset itself, and I’m waiting for them to send me a new 5K+, hoping that it won’t have the same problem.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.