It's here: 2080 Ti VS 1080 on Pimax 5K+! (updated with X-plane 11 fps, and new update with 9900K!)

Just got ZOTAC RTX 2080Ti Gaming. This is an overclockable version, but I am now using just the default frequency.

A quick test on Aerofly FS 2, Orbx TrueEarth Netherland, Amsterdam Intl Airport, Runway 6. This is the most demanding DLC of FS 2. All graphics maxed out.

My computer is I7 4790K@4.2, 32g. The older video card is Asus GTX 1080 Strix.

The first two test results:

PiTool 1.5 SteamVR SS 40%
1080: 36
2080Ti: 48

PiTool 2.0 SteamVR SS 40%
1080: 30
2080Ti: 42

Update: X-plane 11, World2XP, Ortho4XP, Aosta Airport, medium graphic setting
PiTool 1.5 SteamVR SS 40%
2080Ti: 27 (but the clarity is WOW)

Update2: A brief encounter with 9900K, and the fps rised to around 76, without any overclocking.

The results are just as I have imagined. It’s a reasonable step up for my current system. I think my aged I7 4790K and DDR3 memory are the bottleneck. I am pretty sure it will see substantial increase with Intel 8700K and the upcoming 9900K.

14 Likes

Test Project Cars 1 or 2.

1 Like

Well, thank you for the results, but theres are, as you state yourself, not really saying much.
One game, one scenario tested on a platfrom that is likely cpu or memory bottlenecked.

If you have the opportunity to try out other games that are less cpu demanding, I’d love to see the results!

1 Like

[So 1080 ti would sit in the middle probably around 42fps and 36fps

1 Like

What frame rates would you have got on the rift/give with the 1080?

1 Like

That’s really a very nice improvement from a 1080, still it would be only 3-4 frames over a 1080ti so it’s not that much of a big leap, even more at $1200, I can’t wait for more tests though, thanks for the update!

3 Likes

Likely because there’s a cpu/ram bottleneck in their system and the card they’re using is running at stock speeds, compared to the overclocked 1080ti benches that most people are familiar with.
Dunno how fast your ram is running but it does make an improvement if you have low latency high clocked ram. Two ram sticks is also faster than 4 on a dual channel motherboard.

Interesting, I have the same cpu he has, can it be that much of a bottleneck? I thought the GPU was the deciding factor in VR.

1 Like

It’s said 2080Ti eats CPU and fast ram for breakfast. I will upgrade my system and report again.

1 Like

please test a more demanding game,like project cars 2 or fallout 4 please…

For higher resolutions the CPU will generally not cause a bottleneck, but when you’re talking about pushing these cards to compete with overclocked 1080tis then that requires an overclocked CPU and faster ram to compete.

GPU alone is not a deciding factor. it ultimately comes down to single core performance of the CPU, the core clock speed of the GPU and the CPU and the RAM and the latency of the RAM, with better motherboards required to drive and cool these overclocked setups.

No doubt even an 8600 or an 8700k at 4.3ghz and 2300 mhz high latency ram wouldnt compete with ram overclocked to 3200-4000mhz with low timings and a processor overclocked to 5.1 ghz. If the single core performance of the processor is slower than say, SweVivers fully overclocked rig, it would still be holding the gpu back if the gpu is overclocked, this setup has no overclocks everthing is running at stock speeds so there would be an improvement.

Also, you’re comparing a processor that’s some 4 generations old now. Look at the framerate difference between an 8700k and a 4790k. It’s double the frames, although probably benched in 1080p which is CPU dependant. At 1440p or 4k you’d still have around a 50% improvement in frames. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT_EnT9UycM

2 Likes

Really interested in that test, thanks!

Amazing reply, but by the looks of it my rig should need some upgrading soon sadly, what would you consider the best cpu that you can upgrade at a reasonable price, and same thing with memory, i’m not much into PC master race lol , i’m only interested in VR so I don’t care for 4k gaming or anything.

if you’re going to overclock, then get a good motherboard for it like a Gaming, overclocker, z series or black series board. there’s heaps out there. ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG MAXIMUS X HERO is one of the best but look for a good z370 board.

8600 at the minimum if you don’t intend to overclock, but i’d go for an 8600k or an 8700k and then delid and overclock it using a waterblock instead of a fan and heatsink.

for RAM get 3200 mhz DDR4 with CL latency timings of 14, x2 8gb or x2 16gb as 4 sticks slows the system down if you’re using a dual channel board (put one stick in each channel, not two).G.skill ripjaws or tridents are good. low latency is important for high performance (cl 14 > cl 18 even if cl 18 is clocked higher)

You need around 100W extra to overclock your GPU CPU and RAM, so that means a highly rated 650w seasonic or corsair power supply if you plan to run a 2080ti(+130% effciciency out of the box) or a 750w.
Keep your voltage reasonably low (15% higher max) I don’t go over 1.35v, and the issue of hardware degrading doesn’t happen as long as you have a good cooling system. If you pay that little bit extra on the good hardware you can squeeze the extra 20-30% performance out of your CPU/GPU and RAM

Delidding can give you an extra 20 celcius headroom for overclocking which makes it easy to push an 8700k or an 8600k up to 5.0 ghz on air. As long as your components don’t go over 80 degrees there’s no issue with hardware or performance degradation over time.

I recommend you make delid to your i7-4790K. This lowers temperatures by 20 degrees and allows you to overclock between 4.7Ghz and 4.9Ghz. Some CPUs even support between 5Ghz and 5.1Ghz. The delid can be done for very little money, about 20 dollars. There are technicians with a lot of experience in delid. Ideally you should also send him the motherboard (or the complete PC) to adjust the overclocking frequencies and get the maximum performance.

A good radiator would also be advisable. Preferably a water cooling kit (Corsair Hydro Series H115i, for example). These water kits can be used if you switch to a higher PC (see compatibility of new sockets first).

You can also overclock your memories. The ideal is to have memories that support 2400Mhz, like these, or similar (you can sell yours). But the performance difference is very small:

Also make sure you have the 2080Ti connected to the correct PCI slot. Not all PCI slots have the same bandwidth. The one on the right (near the CPU) is usually the best.

Before you spend a lot of money on changing the whole PC, I’d try the delid.

When do you get the Pimax 8K?

Cheers,
Neo

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed reply i’ll check all those, I can hear my wallet crying from here though :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the comparison. Not familiar with FS2, did you use the maxed out graphics only for a comparison or do you fly with those settings?

A 33% to 40% improvement from a 1080 to 2080ti. Is this in line with your expectation? I’ll be coming from a 1070 to a 2080ti on an I7 6700K @ 4.6.

Thank you @Mantidtings @Neoskynet for the suggestion. I am considering a easier and final solution: Intel 9900K which will be released next month.

2 Likes

Aerofly FS 2 has the best optimization of all current flight simulations. I always run at optimal settings and it’s butter smooth in VR. Pimax does make it crawl a bit, especially in such demanding DLC as Armsterdam Intl Airport of TrueEarth Netherland of Orbx, but it’s still quite smooth and very playable at 40 something fps as it has much less stutter as P3D or X-plane.

I think with 9900K I will see over 70% improvement from 1080 to 2080Ti.

2 Likes

The extra 2 cores and 4 threads probably won’t see much use but the chips will be soldered so wont require a delid. the 9600k will be as good as the 8600k in terms of cores/threads so i’d go with that if you don’t want to delid and cost is a problem, I’d personally go with the 9700k if i wasn’t willing to do a delid on an 8700k, otherwise i’d go the 8700k.

1 Like