It’s time to correct the Pimax “8K” name issue

As you’ll be tired of seeing, every time you talk about the Pimax 8K, there is someone who comments “It’s not really 8K, it just has two 4K panels” or something similar. Difficult to refute, because they are absolutely right; we look for a thousand excuses that we don’t really believe. “there are others who do the same” yes, but it’s a cheap marketing trick, we all know.

As @Soarin comments, the requirements for a imagined resolution of 7680 × 4320 pixels at 90Hz deters many potential customers.

8K seems something more related to televisions. I would bet that not a few people from the CES, when they saw the Display panel from the Pimax booth from a distance, with that big “8K”, must have thought that Pimax was a little known TV brand.

I recommend never using a technical specification number in the name, let alone one that can be questioned in any way. So, let’s remove any 5K, 8K or 200 in the product name, please.
People who want to avoid being questioned, have to resort to quotation marks, which is what Road to VR had to do:

“…Whether intentional or not, it’s misleading … we want to make sure readers aren’t confused so we are clear to put 8K in quotes so they realize it may not mean what they think it means. If we just let this slide then it would lead to greater confusion.”

I know, 8K is catchy, but anyone thinks that really represents the clear image and astounding leap in horizontal FOV of the product?
Let’s use a catchy and really representative word, different from other than the competidors use, as evocative and short as possible, like: Horizon, Mirage, Freedom, Panorama, Field, FOV, Sky, Inmersion, Presence, Dive, Ocean…

Some backers like the name “Pimax Horizon”.

What about a beautiful name of any beautiful landscape from China? One that make feel those words, those sensations. I still remember names like CrystalLake as “clean image”, one of the first oculus prototypes, catchy enough, far more representative.

Names are powerful and full of meaning. In any case, far better than a cold number.

Don’t you think @deletedpimaxrep1, @Matthew.Xu and @bacon?

19 Likes

how about do some research and not only consume and being lazy…

before i buy something i always do research, and then you got the other people, they just buy never do research.

stop making a point of all of this, are you also going to send email to Playstation stating they don’t really have 4k 60fps…??because they also sell it 4k 60fps…and we all know thats impossible if its not even possible on most high end pc.

Are you also going to send a email to all HDD producers…telling them to actually state the storage limits we can actually use instead of what is advertised?

2TB becomes 1.8 TB when you plug it in your pc. etc

Don’t see nobody complain about such things? when you buy 3 tb don’t you expect 3tb of storage to use?

SAME story different version.

My advice, stop wasting your time on this, this is just how it runs, people need to do research or stop complaining after they bought it…pretty easy, make some time up for research use, 50 braincells and stop being lazy…

I don’t attack you or anything, its just this is like post 5000 million about this stupid topic and post 50000 million will also not change anything about it.

I totally agree, 8K is a horrible name, it makes Pimax look like scammers.

9 Likes

Well i agree with name changing but in reality if we accept 7680 as 8k. Then the PiMax is 8k.

The reason folks are misunderstanding the importance of aspect ratio.

We have gotten used to a standard aspect ratio of 16:9 & thus we see look at both axis would need to double.

Interestingly with Display makers they start with the vertical as a starting point then round the higher value typically up.

4k for example if we use my lg g6 aspect ratio of 2:1 would be

@ 2160p = 4320*2160

Now in reality techniquely its 4.3k

If manufacturers went the other way we’d have
4000*2000.

Just imagine how much this would fix rounding incomplete ks?

Later if i have some time we can cross multiply things like.

2000/x = 16/9

:beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

2 Likes

I like this game…

Pimax Superscape / Superscape Pro
Pimax Vision / Vision Pro
Pimax Vision CC (cc is 200 in Latin, it also sounds like ‘see see’ for extra seeing with both eyes)
Pimax Reality / Reality Pro
The Phoenix (you have a PHOENIX? oh yeah baby! I have a Phoenix)

cough

1 Like

Sure, technically you can call it 8k of course. But when you say 8k, people think about 7680×4320, so if you then don’t deliver that, people feel cheated. Hence it’s really a bad name.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree as ppl thing in standard of 16:9. But putting 4 so called 4k monitors together truthfully does not make it 8k; its 7.5k or more accurately 7.6k. Which is what the PiMax is in truth is 7.6k @ 32:9.

Now lets try the cross multiply what a real 8k monitor should be at 16:9

8000/x = 16/9

X=4500

So if we are going with 8k @ 16:9 would be 8000*4500.

As consumers maybe we need to stop accepting mfgrs compromises on standards.

1 Like

Hehe but that’s not how it works @heliosurge. Companies shouldn’t ‘educate’ their customers on definitions, that never works. Pimax should realize that 8k is really not a good name instead.

4 Likes

Pimax 6k sounds fine to me.

The simple truth are you going to accept when they double 8k at 76804320 to give 152608640 as a 16k Tv with almost a full k loss in res?

Start with the big number & find the small.

16k should be 16000*9000

Easy math no compromises & 100% accurate.

So real K res at 16:9

8k = 80004500
4k = 4000
2k = 2000*1125

So you can see how much res were loosing with the compromising rounding of the higher number.

There is a double edge to this marketing blade. Pimax advertising as “8K” sounds great for people who know simply that this means ultra HD. The problem however is for computing enthusiasts who know how graphically demanding 4k is at 90Hz. I have seen PLENTY of posts on the comments section of tech media webpages where people are stating “no GPU in existence can run 8k at 90Hz, what rig are they using for the demos?”.

Immediately some speculative customers are put off by the implied system requirements of 8k resolution at 90Hz, these potential consumers may be lost with the current branding choice.

I am not personally criticising Pimax, I honestly have no quarrel with their branding, it is quite normal for manufacturers to prefer bigger numbers… I am looking at you Microsoft! I merely wish to share the observed trends in community speculation on media and social networks.

2 Likes

I think the name is good. IMO it doesn’t need a name change.
Got no complaints against it

1 Like

Yes, this is another good point.

my 2 cents to please all I would suggest :
Pimax Horizon 8 ( for 8k)
Pimax Horizon 5 ( for 5k)

:smiley:

1 Like

I think you hit the nail with the Hammer.

Manufacturers do not educate their customers. So then what you have said the customer should recognize 4k is not actually 4k its 3.8k. So PiMax’s 8k like 8k tv is not actually 8k its 7.6k rounded up & consumers should educate themselves on how aspect ratio changes expected values on resolution. :beers::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::+1::sparkles:

Now that being said maybe one should measure a screens realstate in Mega Pixels.

So 4kish(3.8k) 8mega pixels at 16:9
8kish(7.6k) 32MP at 16:9
& Pimax 8kish(7.6k) at 16MP at 32:9

You know…

As a mildly amusing numberwang distraction: ONE way of counting things, is pixel division by pixel division, of the entire field of view, and, amusingly, circumstances allow us the possibility to arrive at precisely true 4 utilised “kibipixels” (a number which happens to be the originating digital cinema definition of “4k”), if one postulate the following:

• Horizontal screen utilisation was last time anything was mentioned 80%.
  • Two thirds of what one eye can see, covers the stereoscopic region (100 degrees of 150).

…so solving this for both eyes (adding up to four thirds of the per-eye resolution, total (the shared bitmap is six thirds, but two plus two of those are overlapping, so they count only once), for the total FOV): 38400.84/3=4096!

Hopefully the screen driver/scaler is made to squish the aspect ratio of the input signal (16:9 to 12.8:9), and offset it upto the common screen edges, so that it is not, too, only 80% utilised.
(Would rather have 3413 pixels total effective horizontal resolution (paying no attention to the undeniable effect of binocular detail perception), than 2730 (80% of that).)

(EDIT: Come to think of it; Maybe that last thing could account for the peculiar render targets shown in the SteamVR settings window, in the videos that were posted a while back… Oh well, not going to check whether there is any apparent correlation now; Work tomorrow. :7)

:7

1 Like

Maybe better to use unique names for each tier.

5k - Frontier
8k - Horizon
8k-X - Aurora / Expanse / Prophecy

Alternatively there is likely a good sounding chinese words as well. :v::wink::+1::sparkles:

5 Likes

Xpanse is not a bad name, too.

2 Likes

People need to get over this already… 8K is not really incorrect, sure it’s a little misleading coming from pancake TV/Monitor standards but it’s being used by several companies and I’m pretty sure it’s here to stay. HTC is even claiming 3k on their Pro Vive. As already stated using the K denotation for consumer products is just imprecise anyway no matter pancake or stereo but it’s here and it’s not going anywhere.

I agree however that it shouldn’t really be the name of the product…

3 Likes

I agree, we need to change the name for the helmet.

1 Like