Is the pimax 8k on hold because of the new upcoming gtx1180?

is the pimax 8k on hold because of the new upcoming gtx1180?

I donā€™t know. But I do know that I want a VRrig with the 1180. Gonna need it for next year games and if lucky the year after that. I donā€™t believe in 1080ti for high framerate for next years games/experiences.

1 Like

I think not. probably the new m2 sent to testers still have the worst issues.

1 Like

I thought about it too and my ā€œrumorsā€ engine Likes to spin up on that - PiMax and NVIDIA having teamed up and releasing the 1180 and the 8K Bundeld with some VR SLI Titels along side ā€¦ ahh nice to still have dreams :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

If the new Oculus headset has eye tracking, itā€™s likely weā€™ll see more foveated rendering support. The 8k could possibly have integrated eye tracking as well, if Pimax decides to go with Adhawkā€™s eye tracking.

no, of course not.

ā€¦

1 Like

No, I donā€™t think so.

One of the rumors of NVidiaā€™s delay is that they are skipping a chip ā€œgenerationā€, while they wait for a glut of 1080s to be sold. (The glut was triggered by the bitcoin mining drop in value, as lots of miners left the market.) If a chip generation is being skipped, thatā€™s probably a good thing, since weā€™d get a larger performance increase. For me, the delay in the 1180 makes the Pimax delay a little easier to accept, since I need both for a good VR experience.

2 Likes

Iā€™m still not sure the 1180 will have enough performance boost to make it worth it. Iā€™ll probably hold out for the ti version myself.

1 Like

Do not forget that there is an 8kx that at some point will be released and that probably would have all the connections needed to maximize any new video card and its new technology

Thatā€™s my concern too. I have a 980Ti and Iā€™ll probably wait for the 1180Ti as well.

I would hope they put some effort into VR SLI - nothing seems more obvious and we could and will use that HP - if developers would use it ā€¦

Iā€™ve been hearing about SLI since 2004(?) or so. If game developers havenā€™t implemented real support for it since, then why would they suddenly start doing so now.

Noā€¦ if you want SLI you will have to wait for the engine creators to make it a ā€œif the code finds it defaulted onā€ feature.

Lazy coding almost always wins over ambitious foresight.

I am a software developerā€¦ this is how I knowā€¦

90% or more of all VR games are made in Unity or Unreal engine. If SLI could be applied in the engines, I think devs shouldnā€™t need to update more than the engine version. Or maybe im just dreaming nowā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When SLI was new (and more necessary), it had wider support, particularly when the developers and testers really needed the extra horsepower. These days, for flat monitors, a 1080Ti is a better choice than SLI, so support is waning.

Unfortunately VR will not drive anything on the GPU nor gaming market until it has reached mass market, which still may be some 5 or 10 years away. The only chance would be an almost seamless integration by NVidia which isnā€˜t even noticed by the devs. But that has not happened, heck, even with CPUā€˜s it is still pretty unimpressive how little parallel computing has been implemented so far - clearly pointing at the fact that it is hard to do well. In the regular gaming market more CPU performance was a great ask forā€¦ well, essentially, for ever since the PC & games came together. But since the introduction of multi-core CPUs in the home computing market it has been incredibly slow, and as was pointed out earlier today in another post often games will still perform best on a single fast core.

1 Like

You are right, itā€™s a slow process I never understood. Parallel Computing is nothing new - seems game devs missed out on that one. BUT recent games start focusing on multiple CPU usages, eG. like all the work CIG is putting in their lumberyard based engine.
I hope all the power we have can be used soon and that 1180ā€˜s series gives us some rendering power for the 8k