iRacing Detailed Setup Guide for Pimax 5k+

Very nice guide, playing with i7600k and 1080ti non OC with stable 90 fps, looks very good!

Althrough i had coiple issues:

• cant find how to enable virtual back mirror. Had this on before, but with the new cfg cant turn it on.
  • dont like the idea to change global 3d settings for all applications just to play a single game, had to add nvidia profile iRacingSim64DX11 (dx11+x64) and edit it.
  1. iRacing Settings (rendererDX11.ini)
    Open VR ResolutionScalePct=70
    SPS off

Couldnt understand last (4th) part. End of this step says to replace all cfg entries, these already contains each line from above.

Iā€™ve got mine dialed in nice now which is a relief as initially I though I was going to have to sell it as I couldnā€™t get it comfortable without eye strain

Running a 8600K @ 5.0Ghz. 1080 with mild overclock

I run:

resolutionScalePct at 100
SteamVR SS at 100
pitoools render at 1.5

Normal FOV
90FPS
PP off
smart smoothing off
contrast 2, brightness -3

Nvidia Transparency antialiasing: multisample
VR prerender frames: 3

SPS: off
iracing AA: 16x 8x
Sharpening: on - 9, 120
shadows on everything

Most other in game settings based on recommendations in this thread:
https://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3657185.page

I had to dial in the vert offset a bit for my eyes.

I seem to be able to run imola, Nurb GP and tskuba at pretty much 90fps locked. Upping pitool to 1.5 render really made a difference to me. Before that everything in the distance seemed to ā€˜swimā€™ to me.

Also noted that I run slightly different vertical ofset on my left and right eye so my face is obviously not symetrical

1 Like

Trying the 5k+ for the first time with iRacing but my mouse is stuck in a small part of the HMD (cannot click to start driving).
I guess I have some resolution issue but i cannot access menus.
Iā€™m coming from tripple screens.
Using center screen only but shows the extreme left of the VR image, doesnt help.
Any ideas what setting i need to change in ini files ? :wink:
thx

Ok I found that in app.ini the DX11 WindowedMode settings help (centering and different resolution).

1 Like

Not sure if this is your problem, but if you have a window on top of the VR mirror window on your monitor, it will block the iracing mouse in that area. Need to have the iracing window on top to be able to use the mouse freely in VR.

2 Likes

How do the changes in the recent iRacing point release affect the suggested settings here?

-Jon

HDR should be slightly more viable. If you were close to the limit of being able to run it without frame drops, and you were G-bar limited, you can probably run it now.

Nothing else shouldā€™ve affected recommended settings.

If you were using the steamvr prediction hack settings, you probably donā€™t need them anymore - but I think they no longer have any effect anyway.

EDIT: Also, the G-bar now no longer includes the time spent waiting for vertical sync in its timing calculation, so if you see ridiculously promising G-bar drops but not really any gain in performance, thatā€™s why. On the plus side, you can now use it to more accurately gauge the effect of settings changes.

Iā€™m absolutly hating the latest build, itā€™s completely ruined what was a flawless config i had applied pre patch. Iā€™m getting rotational stutters no matter what settings i apply. Iā€™ve literally tried everything possible including fresh install of both iracing and Win 10, various combinations of nvidia drivers and pitool versions but nothing get rid of the stutters. Iā€™ve had to go back to monitors for the time being and can only hope that a patch comes out soon to fix it. The stutters seem very much like those i see when running vsync on a monitor and going below frame rate which makes sense as theyā€™ve made some changes to VR vsync :frowning:

I think I said this on the forums as well, but there is something specifically wrong on your end here. This isnā€™t a widespread problem (there are some widespread VR problems after the patch but this isnā€™t one of them), so itā€™s unlikely itā€™s going to be fixed by something other than blind luck; weā€™ll need to figure out on your end whatā€™s wrong.

If youā€™re holding decent framerate (ignore the G/R bars - I mean ā€˜sitting at 89/90ā€™ by this), then itā€™s not part of the general increase in system requirements either.

I have (with very similar hardware)

• SPS still enabled
  • smoothing disabled
  • FFR disabled
  • AA set to 4x
  • HDR enabled
  • No frame limit
  • Large FOV
  • Virtual mirror disabled (cockpit mirrors: 4)
  • All other effects around ā€œhdrā€ in that cluster disabled
  • supersampling at 1 in iRacing, 100% in steamvr, 1.25 in pitool
  • Latest pitool, pimax firmware, latest nvidia driver (clean install)

Thereā€™s gotta be something in your settings thatā€™s tripping you up, because weā€™re on almost identical hardware and itā€™s smooth as butter on my end.

2 Likes

Nothing changed on my machine except iRacing, no system driver updates, Iā€™m using the same settings everywhere that i was previously. If it was a settings issue then default settings would work but they donā€™t donā€™t. The thing i have noticed since going back to monitors is that i can get the same rotational stutter if vsync is enabled and frames drop below refresh rates, this leads me to believe that the changes that were made in iracing to the vsync process are the cause. At this point i can only wait until they implement the switch to disable the changes which is supposed to be out this week and hope that that fixes it. If not Iā€™ll stick with monitors and sell the 5k

1 Like

Iā€™m not saying you changed anything, Iā€™m saying the update doesnā€™t play nice with your specific configuration.

Either way, you seem really keen to sell your 5k so maybe this is a good opportunity.

Not keen to sell it no, just keen to get back to racing rather than fault finding VR issues. Anyhow the patch fixed it and all is good with a performance boost as well.

and for 8k and iracing there are somebody to help me with parameter to set ?

Thomas

Hi chaps

Im on a i7700k 5ghz 1080TI heavily OC 32gb ram 2800mhz

I got the 197 Firmware and 180 Pitool Nvidia driver 441.20

Now i cant even get it to hold 72hz (about the same drops as 90) properly turning down the settings and reducing SS. Also a clean windows 1909 install. Thereā€™s just a lot of framedrops. I also started experiencing random drops in Assetto corsa a couple of months back. Im barely over 40% gpu Use and CPU usage seems just fine.

Only thing thats really changed is the Nvidia driver. Anyone got a clue on this or can give a driver that is rock solid?

2 Likes

Has it dropped to 72Hz refresh rate. Mine did after the update and I had to put it back to 90Hz

Hmm my 5k+ on iracing with a 2080ti is basically pinned to 120hz with a full grid on imsa and everything maxed.

Pitool is 2.0 with SteamVR at 38%

1 Like

The last 2 nVidia driver versions have been problematic for me.

After Iā€™ve played a VR game, if I try to play again, PiTool reports a ā€œdisconnectedā€ error with my video port and the 8Kā€™s screens are solid black. I have to reboot my PC to fix it (once) and then it breaks again for my second play session.

For now, Iā€™ve gone back to version 436.15 and everything is fine.

Iā€™m at 430.60 now and 197 firmware and I can get stable fps but it needs a massive overhead even at 72hz. Iā€™m at 25 30% cpu and gpu 1 for pitool render and 50 ss steam with normal fov

1 Like

Just how ?? Iā€™m struggling to get 90fps with pitools at 1.0 and SteamVR at 68% ā€¦ Same configā€¦

I havent seen abig change in fps the last couple patches. I even turned AA up to 8x for the last 4 races. Cant get constant 90 at 8x on Monza it bounce between 85-90 according to afterburner. at 4x AA it never gets below 90fps on any track in the last 4-5 months.
Hope these help someone. Pitool at 1 iracing at 1.25

https://6pqxeg.bn.files.1drv.com/y4mozyiBoHXqoGwKcJ6YQUWSHoMKA-SVDXlkQZUK6I8gvCk3KGQkWC0fCzEXrzcDELmfsavF9AtxHPTtkv3w6xuUDHSgEWnWV9kSPi7-W0iZkxwqPDGZbXdCd4YW1gsqddVAdPklvk6gQ_sdMTIXM6voU10ooQlGX_TdV8UfSVxj4tWi7Sd8t9920fuRAtmNG4cxbyF-EE-jesdv0Jpp8EtFw?width=588&height=442&cropmode=none