IPD settings poll

Please select which difference between measured IPD and used IPD you have in your Pimax:

• +4
  • +3
  • +2
  • +1

0 voters

So if your measured IPD is 63 and you use 61 in the headset you select -2

For the people who have differences, what is your (rounded) measured IPD?

• more than 70
  • less than 60

0 voters

4 Likes

-4 seems like not enough for me. I think -5 or -6 would be ideal. No matter how much I enjoy using the 8K I cannot escape the constant adjusting and continual headaches (caused by eye strain) I’ve had since using it.

Right now, the Pimax 8K feels like an Early Access device. I do hope the tech heads can fix up these issues quickly for a more pick up and play comfortable experience suitable for a wider spectrum of potential users.

3 Likes

Same for me, -5/6 would be the best.

Those who set it so far off did they measure IPD themselves or at an eye doctor?
I think it might be useful with a poll on that aswell because this poll assumes that their measured IPD is correct.

1 Like

I didn’t even put in halves so it’s a rough estimate anyway. I was just curious to see if everyone has about the same differences or if it’s all over the place

1 Like

Mine is measured by an optician.

1 Like

I can’t get something that doesn’t result in extreme eyestrain no matter what I do. My IPD is 65.5 so I have plenty of adjustability but I get headaches within minutes no matter what I set this to. I think I need a different set of side pieces for my face shape so my eyes can get closer to the lenses. So there isn’t an IPD that works at all for me.

2 Likes

Do you also got a wrong world scale?

I also found that the sharp sweet spot of the lenses don’t align with IPD. When my IPD is set the way it looks ok then only one eye has the perfect clear sweetspot and the other doesn’t. This results in feeling like one eye is a bit out of focus. Now, I used to wear lenses and this usually meant one lens was a bit off and a bit of blinking was required. This now happens a lot in the headset too and makes for an uncomfortable feeling

2 Likes

Yes I do, and I get the swim effect of the world moving about and a bunch of distortion all around the lenses. It is not pleasant, 100% unusable. Actually strangely glad I bought the Samsung Odyssey+, in comparison it has been flawless.

Got the same issue, wrote with some people with the same IPD ~64 and no one of them got this problem. For me it’s also unplayable in this state, just got eye straine and headache and after few years of VR this wrong scale is so annoying. I think this is because of the distortion on the inner side, i see always depends in which diraction i’am looking with one eye a little bit stretched image, if i close one eye and look through the sweet spot, the world is in the right scale and also don’t got such distortions, only on the end as everyone. So im pretty sure something is wrong with the lenses or display, wrote pimax a ticket because of replacement but no answer until now.

I’m also playing on the VIVE because Pimax is unplayable for me in this state. Hope i will get a answer soon.

It’s a hard time for Pimax now, they have to fix this issue, especially the support, days of waiting for a ticket is realy disappointing. The new HP headset sound good and i’m pretty sure the new Xtal or Valve Headsets aren’t that far away.

1 Like

If you have a narrow face shape there is a gasket adjustment a fellow made for 3d printing on thingverse. I added it to the Table of content wiki

1 Like

The problem is as the poll is showing in the trend. It is not as widespread but still needs to be explored to find actual root cause(s) vs presumed root cause.

Xtal maybe & it’s unique on to itself & quite big (4th design a charm) just hopefully they can get the weight down.

Valve well Half Life 3 anyone?

1 Like

Totally looking forward to the HP, should be an improvement in terms of SDE and clarity :crossed_fingers: , just WMR tracking is a bit meh.

MRTV mentioned once that we shouldn’t expect a consumer version XTAL in 2019. The Valve hmd would be sweet but who knows if and when we’ll get it.

1 Like

2,160 x 2,160 per eye sounds realy promising on 114 FOV, thats a realy good PPI. Will be a good HMD for simulations.

Who knows if Valve will ever release a HMD, there are just rumors and i hope that Xtal wait until 2020, otherwise it will be hard for Pimax. At least i hope that Pimax will release the 8k x until the xtal comes
so that they can compare this headset. I’m pretty sure that the 8k x will be a pretty good HMD, after they fix this current issues .

2 Likes

I just spent around 40 (enjoyable) minutes in Skyrim VR and found the clarity/focus to pretty much be spot on with no discomfort. This was with Parallel Projection OFF. Usually I have it enabled due to the double vision loading screens. Perhaps then PP might be part of what is causing issues if it’s not calibrated properly - hence eye strain when the two images aren’t aligned properly?

6 Likes

The loading screens might be half assed by Bethesda so it needs PP but better just ignore it and get an SSD to quickly get passed them

1 Like

I played Skyrimvr yesterday and noticed some popping/glitching in the outer edges WITHOUT PP on, wasn’t like that before. Pitool 109.
Also noticed with PP on it seems to be easier for the eyes.

1 Like

I have the same IPD as them and I can use the 5k + for 4-5 hours without a problem.

1 Like

I believe we need to change IPD and eyestrain problem, to eye focus angle, very low sweet spot, and angled displays or lenses…

Close one eye turn your head 10 degrees left or right you have a the the best focus.

Do it the opposite way but needs 20 degree head rotation then you have perfect focus but lost the other eye focus no matter what you IPD you got.

This is a lens problem as well as angled displays.

I just believe this can be corrected with new lenses, or new design of the headset without angled lcds…

No software upgrade, profile can solve it. It is a hardware limitation/flaw/design issue or whatever you call it.