Inferred sub-Pixel matrix comparison for 8k and 5k+

no, the higher ppi for a 1440p display is telling us that the display with the higher ppi has smaller in dimensions, its still a 1440p display and the resolution has not changed, there are no additional pixels, just all the pixels on less space

The resolution in the viewport is higher on the 5k+ vs the 5k = Fact. So yes you need to consider this point in comparing to the 8k. Since both physical dimensions of the viewport is the same.

The 5k+ you are utilizing more native resolution vs the 5k. We know this by the increased ppi. The resolution is equal but the ppi is not.

EDiT
Panel Utilization:
5k 80%
5k+ 87.5%
8k 80%

5k+ uses more native resolution so the 8k will have less ratio difference than it would if compared to 5k.

Lol @Heliosurge better stay out of the math threads

1 Like

we are shaving of 20% from the 2560x1440 on the 5k for the pixel unusable when looking through the lenses 2560x1440x0.8=2949120
when doing this for the 5k+ panel the its less then 20%, so the number of usable pixel should be grater for the 5k+

“Pixel density is the number of pixels on a display divided by the diagonal size of a display.” - and on that point it can get messy as we dont know the dimensions

but basically we are on the same page here

but when we just make raw estimations about the pixel counts in a area the factor between 5k (old panel) and 8k should be 2.25, when we take higher density of the 5k+ panel into account the factor will be lower, lets say 1.9, the subpixel we counted in the letter R was about 1.3 higher for the 8k compared with 5k+, in the letter R we counted the subpixels on both panels, the assumption was that both panels have the same amount of subpixels (3)
but we count far less subpixels on 8k then expected and there is a huge gap in the to expected 1.9 and the counted 1.3, one solution is that the number of subpixels on the 8k is lower, another might be we did not counted correctly as we had not enough detail in the picture we used or the 2 photos are not comparable, the ammount of subpixels in the R is pretty low (resulting in a high error rate), …

there are a lot of errors that can sum up here so its kind of hard be 100% sure
so having a good shot of the pixel pattern of the 8k panel would be best to judge

but in the end its just kind of a funny game that does not change anything for the running rollout of 8k and 5k+
the 8k still has a little better sde, different color and better black at the moment, the 5k+ is better with small details (in static shots!!!) and both headsets look good when using them
the 1440p signal and the scaler limit whatever the display of the 8k could do, if the 8k panel is not “true rgb” and has a lower subpixel count it does not change that much with the 1440p signal in use, the big difference would be seen in the 8kx when compared with a “true rgb” 4k panel but we don’t have a 8kx or a reference and that’s all about to change as the 8kx is still in r&d lab, so its kind of academic and fun to speculate

PS: don’t crucify me for the 1.9 its nothing more the a guess and placeholder

1 Like

The 1.9 lines up with the rough calculations i did using the idea of increased ppi (2790*1560 for 5k+) compared to 8k.

The otherside the diagonal also makes the compare harder as the pixel layout is 45° rotated to the 5k+. Diagonal lines should be sharper on the 8k & vertical & horizontal lines sharper on 5k+ (pixel stacking).

as we count the subpixel in a area the layout should be of no importance as long as the area is big enough and we count correctly

1 Like

Now with Geof counting 30% on each axis equals 1.3×1.3 for total being 1.9? (Corrected should be 1.69)

Same as 1.5×1.5 = 2.25 :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

So we have the correct number of pixels; just the sub pixel doesn’t seem equal as in proper rgb stripe

Lol. Glad you finally understood the 225% maths. :slight_smile:

1 Like

See we were on the same page. I was using increase % on each axis & you were going by the combined. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles: So really you didn’t see both are correct.

But the proof is that Geof’s pixel count verifies tge 8k’s Resolution is showing the rough right amount of pixels vs the higher ppi 5k+.

Yeah… right … come on give it up dude :joy:

I don’t want to be an arse so I’ll just stay quiet. :wink:

L8rz

1 Like

and again no, you really should use a calculator 1.3x1.3=1.69
also the 1.9 is not any calculation more a hunch, maybe 2.0 or 2.1 is more accurate?
counting just in one direction was my 1st try too but after a few minutes i ended up counting all the subpixels in the R and even the R is small and it is hard to decide what subpixel is still part of it (on or off) so there might be a error of 10%

i’d still prefer to see a good shot of the panel

for the moment the photos of the cockpit details and the small text show clearly that the 8k has lower details then the 5k+ in still photos and thats not what to expect, both hmd’s get the same source signal and there should be not that much difference in details then we see
but we can choose so people in favor of sharpness can have the 5k+, i’m in for the wide fov, some are in for the lesser sde and those people might have the 8k

and the people that are overwhelmed by the choice might have one option that was not discussed yet - just ignore the 5k+, no 5k+ no confusion, just the kickstarter project you backed, be happy with the thought you get a 8k and have the best hmd there is atm - ignorance is bliss (and i don’t mean it in a bad way, its more like it does not bother you that the guy beside you waiting on the traffic light has a big flashy car too, you know that you have a good car and thats it)

1 Like

Agreed should have used a calculator but it does show the difference isn’t much.

1.9 - 1.69 = 0.21 approx from what it should be.

Add in the 45° pixel pattern & it makes sense on sharpness. Text more follows vertical & horizintal.

Yeah @Davobkk posted the key video on that. Vr groupbthat hadn’t much stock in pimax now don’t care which one; they just want one.

the amount you just want to ignore is at least the the amount we took into account for the higher density of the 5k+ panel like 100% if putting it over dramatic
the best i’d offer is a inconclusive
i’m still feel more like “6k vs 5k+”
but that’s not really our problem, i will be happy with the 5k+ and pimax will have to deal with that matter on the 8kx later, there r&d people have eye’s and can count too, we will be on the fence having a good time with our new hmd’s and have a look whats going on with the stretch goals (wireless is the most important imho - after lighthouse and controllers for a lot of backers i guess)

1 Like

Originally posted by @Davobkk

Yeah these guys changed their tune quick. Fact is if any Rift owner tried the 5K+ they would probably be sold instantly right? Pimax could certainly kick some ass if they ramp up production super fast. I’m sure that’s been their game plan the whole time

3 Likes

3 Likes