Index Controllers and 1 lighthouse

Can the Index controllers work with 1 lighthouse? Thought I would check if anyone knew. That includes the question, do you need 2 to even set the controllers up?

2 Likes

Works fine, i had only one lighthouse 2.0 when i bought them.
If you turn away from the lighthouse, you will of course get problems, but generally it works fine.

3 Likes

With only 1 LH you will have blindspots where controllers and hmd cannot be tracked.
I have 2 Index LHā€™s and Index controllers, No problems at all :+1:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve given up any hope of getting plan F in the near future. Iā€™m going to go ahead and just get a single lighthouse now (the old style) and order some index controllers through valve. I know thereā€™ll be blind spots but at least Iā€™ll have a functioning system.

6 Likes

not just blind spots, your whole body will cover the sensors when you start turning, imagine yourself casting a shadow from a light source were you plan to place the LH
it will be like PSVR, you will be able to play things that makes you face one direction like beat saber but anything that makes you turn or walk around will not work properly
even something like grabbing behind your head in space pirate trainer will result in a short tracking loss

but on the other hand you can buy a 2nd if you feel the need for it, just remember that you cant mix old and new LHā€™s and ā€œoldā€ stuff (like vive wands that came with the original vive) with old sensors in it will not work with new LHā€™s
Pimax and index controller both have new sensors so you can use old or new LHā€™s

2 Likes

IG88 disagree
@greymane no, you donā€™t need 2, through 2 are better than 1.

I could easily turn around without any blind spots; like on the video above.

I think its possible to disrupt controllers tracking, but its definitely not that easy with hmd, and might not be a big issue for controllers

3 Likes

Yes confirmed, I have been using 1 used BS from Amazon for 8 months with no occlusion issues, even turning away from the camera. The only time I get a blackout is if I touch the hmd on the top side in a certain spotā€¦so, I donā€™t touch it there.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. Guess I just have to wait for the Index controllers to be available to order again then and I am going with that.

1 Like

Iā€™m in the same situation. Because Iā€™m only interested in seated games I only ordered 1 base station from Pimax. I gave up waiting many months ago and bought a version 1 bs, since that was all that was available. That means, Iā€™ll have 1 bs I can actually use and a backup.

Iā€™m considering getting Index controllers for HL:A which is the first non-seated game to interest me. I thought Iā€™d need to buy an additional bs, so that I could have 2 of the same version for the controllers. Itā€™s good to know that might not be necessary.

3 Likes

Fair enough :+1:
I see the lighthouse is placed right in front in the center, this will make tracking ok, in theory there should only be blindspots when controllers are obscured by your own body :slightly_smiling_face: the HMD is so wide that sensors can be see from any angle in that setup :+1::smile:

1 Like

This is an observation I made as well when shortly testing one BS setup. For some reason, touching/holding the headset leads to the tracking loss. Setting up the second BS solved the problem.

1 Like

Yes, I used them with only one v1 BS and worked fine. You should put the BS in mode ā€œBā€ I think.

Some things are not great, as tracking is lost behind or if you turn too much, e.g. archery might be problem. Other things work very well, e.g. table tennis, also golf/bowling if you orient it in good direction.

There is actually one advantage of having single BS as far as I understand it - in mode B it will operate at 60Hz. If you have 2 then they will both switch to 30Hz. So if you have controllers in front and the backward BS does not see them you actually have worse response with 2 BS compared to one, and I think I can notice this on Eleven table tennis when the paddle is sometimes tracked little less precisely with 2 BS.

4 Likes