Index Controller Use With Pimax Discussion

I am wondering if you can use the use without headset like vive wands.

Valve made the Index Controller drivers part of the SteamVR, while before they were an external tool, if they are invisible in the game and do not have the right icon maybe it is because the position of the graphic files has changed

@anon74848233 @Sean.Huang

1 Like

ok now i have a solution/workaround !
the knuckles driver on steam i cant find in steam applikation (only on homepage: Steam Community :: SteamVR Knuckles Driver) but if i use the steamdb homepage: https://steamdb.info/app/633750/

i can install them:

NOW KNUCKLES (Index Controller) working !!!

it is still no knuckles icon there, only the c icon in steamvr. but main thing in the game it goes jet !!!

7 Likes

After reboot my controllers are back to aapvr_controller type and therefore unusable and also not remappable :-(. Anyone have a fix?
I’m using Pimax 5K+ and Knuckles EV3’s, the driver worked until I rebooted but never since then.

maybe because of this

https://steamcommunity.com/games/633750/announcements/detail/1611639361530697602

With this update, all files have been removed from this driver and it can be safely uninstalled.

2 Likes

It seems like Valve is doing everything he can to create difficulties to Pimax. Also I never seen half line of code in SteamVR in favour of Pimax, while much work has been done for the other headsets…

It’s time for a new conspiracy…

5 Likes

LOL, using the same technique to activate knuckles on WMR, turning off pimax services, pairing knuckles, reactivating pimax services, here’s what happens :sunglasses:

immagine

I hope Pimax fix this soon, anyway I would have a backup of the drivers made in January, but they can’t be installed (Steam immediately updates to the latest version after a restore, deleting everything) and I don’t know how to unpack a Steam backup (.csd files )

It would be nice if Pimax left to SteamVR the full control of Knuckles, using PiTools only for its devices.

1 Like

This better be dam well fixed by the time mines get to my house.

4 Likes

steam supprt answer:

_It looks like the fact that you’re using the Pimax ‘AAPVR’ input driver instead of the SteamVR Tracking ‘Lighthouse’ input driver is preventing SteamVR from recognizing the Knuckles Dev Kits correctly. The AAPVR input driver is similar, and uses SteamVR Tracking to some extent, but the Knuckles/Index controller information is part of the Lighthouse driver instead. The Knuckles are only designed to work with the Vive, Vive Pro, and the Index (since they natively use the Lighthouse driver), and we can’t provide detailed support for the Pimax driver. _

As a result, unless you’re using the Lighthouse driver, the controller icons will not show up correctly. It’s possible to active multiple input drivers at the same time, so adding the ‘activatemultipledrivers = true’ entry to the ‘SteamVR’ block of your configuration file may correct the issue. This can lead to unexpected behavior, but it’s worth a try.

_If you have a Vive or Vive Pro, connecting the Knuckles to that would be the easiest way to update them. _

_I would suggest contacting Pimax about this as well, since you’re using their headset - they may have additional suggestions for you. _

Steam Support

@PimaxUSA @anon74848233 @Doman.Chen @Alan.sun @Sean.Huang

can you please update PiTool Support for Knuckles (index controllers):
maybe this helps:

4 Likes

Sounds like the ball is in Pimax’s court. It would be beyond foolish to not 100% support the most anticipated controllers in this generation of VR peripherals.

4 Likes

It’s both. Valve had them working & broke it. Just like when Valve changed how inputs worked breaking Hotas & later OpenVR input emulatir.

I think Valve doesn’t like the way taken by Pimax bypassing SteamVR, on the other hand Pimax wants to be as independent as possible from foreign technologies that could be hostile (someone said Huawei?) or at least uncooperative.

Maybe the Open-Source project could help?

By now it would help a few words from Pimax on the Index Controller issue

@Sean.Huang @PimaxUSA @anon74848233

1 Like

I imagine pimax can likely implement some kind of pass through. As the need to be able to have lighthouse tracking & controllers work without steamvr is needed for their Oculus game support.

But yeah it seems like Valve is implementing needless difficulties.

Huawei is an unfortunate tale of tradewars & best left out of discussion. Much like US demands to have backdoor(s) in cell phones like Apple.

1 Like

All Pimax really has to do is disable the code that grabs the controllers and Steam VR can do its own thing. Honestly the Oculus Support is just copied Revive code, and the Revive version on Github usually works better and is more up to date anyway, I am not sure if there even is any real need for their official Oculus support.

If I had the choice between all future controllers working out of the box and having to install Revive manually, I would install it any day.

2 Likes

Revive requires Steamvr & some users find the Pimax implentation wirks better on some titles.

Point was it was working before Valve messed with code. I am sure the team will implement something to fix Valve’s generated issue.

Much like Hotas had to fix their drivers after Valve broke input support. Valve has quite a track record of breaking things. Broke Hotas, Broke VR input emulator.

Steam runs better on regular linux vs Valve’s steamOS.

If Valve works on being more like OpenXR we should be fine. But Valve hasn’t even fully fixed their own game controller as you can get it to work as it can emulate mouse & keyboard.

The whole idea between HID plug n play is agnostic support.

Does pimax even know about this?

Can you find out if this is being looked into?
@SweViver

3 Likes

Maybe when pitool becomes open source, someone can write in passthrough for peripherals, I think that would solve the people with motion compensation problems as well if Pimax doesn’t get to this first!

3 Likes

with newest steamvr version the workaround dont work anymore… the drivers now official in the steamvr package and no longer in this knuckles driver package…

the knuckles (index controller) dont work with pimax (found as aapvr_controller and not as knuckles/index controller.

2 Likes

They really need to look into this!

2 Likes

Has anyone checked if Knuckles can be used with a dongle in headless mode(use without headset) ? This might allow knuckles synced with Steamvr.

1 Like