Improving VR FPS (Pimax 8K X) - which componet should I swap?

Hello Guys,

I need your help, I want better FPS in VR (Elite Dangerous) and I am not sure which componet of my pc I should upgrade (Pimax 8K X).

My specs:

Ryzen 5 2600X
16 GB 2160 Mhz Ram
Asus X370 Motherboard
MSI 3090 Ventus
Be quiet 850 Watt PSU
cooler Master 120 mm cpu water cooling
500 GB SSD

I think most likely I should swap the 2600X to a 5600X, even though I love my 2600X, it did not ever had a defect since 2018.
The 5600X should gives more stable FPS with very likely reduced fps drops (stutter)

Also my RAM is not the fastest one, maybe I should swapping to a 3200 Mhz RAM?
How big would be the improvement then for upgrading the RAM?

Any suggestions (and similar experiences of upgrading) are highly appreciated, thanks!

2 Likes

cpu for suuuuuuuuuure the gpu must be getting hardcore bottlenecked. upgrading the cpu means u gotta upgrade the motherboard too

6 Likes

Unfortunately, Elite D requires parallel projection, which adds ~30% additional overhead to your GPU.

While faster RAM will improve your system, generally speaking, it’s only going to make a minor difference, say ~2-3% FPS increase at best. It looks like you need a CPU upgrade. Make sure your power supply is sufficient for your new CPU, because water-cooling and a 3090 eat a lot of power.

If that’s out of your budget, try reducing your FOV. Currently, I only have a 2080, so I’m using Small FOV to play ED. I just pretend my space helmet is blocking the edges of my view.

3 Likes

I would agree with Others. Upgrade CPU & Ram.

3200 should be decent. If on a bit of a budget and not wanting to upgrade mobo atm look into a 3600x or 3700x. This will also give time to see how Amd corrects some of the usb issues reported on the 550 and 570 chipsets.

3 Likes

Thank you for all your suggestions!

Ok then I will upgrade my cpu to a 5600X and also my RAM, maybe also my mobo.

2 Likes

Throwing in with the others. CPU, RAM.

Will throw in one suggestion: Get an M2 SSD and put all your VR stuff on there. If your new board will support 2, put your OS on one and your VR/Game stuff on the other.

SSD is fast, but M2 will give you that extra bit of speed while loading.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.