Improved Pimax SMAS Sound With a 3d printable Headphone Sound Cup

Hey guys.
I’ve been working on a cup/cover for the SMAS to direct the sound to the ear & improve the standard audio.
So far, here’s my solution which I am very happy with.

To me it’s a night & day improvement & hopefully some of you will think so too.
My partner described the difference as 10x better

For those of you rocking a 3d printer, here’s a link to the stl file on thingiverse!

EDIT FOR V2

Just to let you guys know, I updated the sound cups to a v2 on thingiverse.
No real changes to the way they sound, but I addressed a few minor issues.

I thinned the design out a little as they were a bit thick & overengineered. Will save a bit of plastic & shave some time off of printing.
I angled them inwards a little & changed the slope. This is just ergonomics & helped save a bit of plastic.
I made the fit on the smas ear cup slightly looser by a fraction of a mm so they hopefully won’t dislodge the smas cap when taken off.
If you’re already happy with them, this offers no change in how they work, only how they look. So no need to reprint.
Also if anyone wants any but doesn’t have a 3d printer, I’m selling them on ebay & etsy for £10.95 + postage

Enjoy!

25 Likes

Awesome will add to Table of Content Wiki!

5 Likes

Look like something I might want. On the order page, the SMAS looks like it has a plastic arc for the top piece and not the strap. Some type of black box going into the head. I was thinking that is just for shipping? Do not like the coast and look of the DMAS. This would be for my 8K+ also where would you be shipping from?

1 Like

This is how the ear cups look from the inside.

The top narrower end circle piece slides over the top of the smas speaker & sound is essentially kept from escaping & at the bottom (wider) end, it is deflected in toward the ear.

I’m in the UK.
I do print & sell things on eBay worldwide anyway but unfortunately due to the width of these pieces, although light they will be classed as a small parcel.
I’m not sure of shipping yet as I normally sell large letter sized parcels.
I will have a look at prices.
UK delivery prices should be reasonable, but I think small parcel prices start from about £10 for europe & will be more for some countries.

I’m currently printing sets on both my printers, but I would like to hear feedback before I sell any, in case there is a compatibility problem

4 Likes

If anybody here prints these out, could you give me some feedback please.
Good or bad, would be great to hear

2 Likes

Looks like a really good idea. Do you have any trouble putting on your headset with these attached?

2 Likes

i’ll print a set but tbh i’m plenty happy with the smas as it is. i’ll give it a whirl though.

2 Likes

No. No trouble at all. They hover about 1-2 cm away from my ears.
The internal cup is probably in line with the headstrap itself.
& they clip on & unclip very easily anyway

3 Likes

Excellent. Let me know how they work out for you.
The volume should instantly double & give you the feeling more like headphones

1 Like

ok, i’m just gonna ask, did you go into speaker properties in windows and set levels, because mine are loud enough that it can hurt and I had to turn the volume down a lot. Also setting up spatial sound (windows sonic for headphones) can improve the quality as well.

I’m just hearing a lot of people complaining about the smas and I really think it’s just because they’re not set up correctly

2 Likes

@Virtualmisterl oh and erh, 5 hours print time, 50g material, does that sound correct? I think they’re looking a little big on the cura buildplate but that can be deceiving.

1 Like

Well I went into properties, turned on bass boost, set spatial sound & i have the volume at 100%.
It helped but it still felt like a phone speaker aimed at my ear from a distance.

With these, it feels like the sound is coming at your ears from the sides Like with headphones, & immersing me more as it shuts out the outside world much better

2 Likes

Yep that’s about right.
Obviously if you want, you can decrease wall thickness, top & bottom layers etc, raise layer height & pump the speed up if you want, but for me ~4h-30 - 4h-45 mins gave me a flawless quality print for a set.

Yes they look huge on the build plate lol.

It’s deceiving & that was my first thought. Once they are printed, they are an ideal size

4 Likes

There’s no doubt it’ll improve isolation at least, . I was just wondering because I think they sound pretty good. I’m not bothering with external earphones even i skyrim.

It’s pretty awesome you’re using your time and talent to help people with this project.

3 Likes

I would agree that they arent too bad. They are useable & convenient, but lack of isolation is probably the main downside of them.
With using the standard smas I struggle to forget that I’m sat in my front room. But with these cups, that changes for me at least & i feel more immersed.

Hopefully it helps others with a 3d printer.
When you buy a 3d printer, imo you need to justify its price tag by having things to print for free

& as I’ve started a small 3d print business on eBay & etsy (still very small printing my own mods),
It helps me a little also to make a small profit & get back some of the money I spent on 3d printers

2 Likes

Totally agree. I feel I lose a ton of immersion with the SMAS. I much prefer to be lost in the sound of the game.

2 Likes

different strokes for different folks I guess. for isolation i absolutely agree something like this should help. but as someone living alone I actually prefer not to be shut out from the, admittedly quiet, world around me because there’s no one else to answer the door or hear the fire alarm. also there’s really no distracting noise.

5 Likes

Yep I agree.
I’ve heard some say they prefer to use a room sound system for vr with no headphones on at all.
For me I’d only feel I was half in vr

3 Likes

@BNP did you end up printing & testing these out?

1 Like

Yeah, i spend a few hours in Skyrim with them last night.

I printed them in petg because that was the spool i had on the printer, so it ended up being a bit of a tight fit.
For the print itself I really think you overbuilt them, i mean you’re not trying to hold up a bridge. I don’t think it would be an issue if the shroud part was reduced down to like 1mm, and it would save weight and printing time.
It does improve the volume a little and it might improve the sound quality a little but it feels like a very subtle effect. I’m not sure if there’s maybe a better shape to guide the sound.
I used them as off ear headphones like the index and I have to say that I did not find any improvement in isolation at all. I know this is different from your experience so I may be using them wrong.

1 Like