I'm 100% sure the 'Lightbleed are due to manufacturing flaws and lens defects. Here's my experience

So this is What I experience on my 5K+ headset right now.

Let me explain this terrible MS Paint drawing. I have light bleed from the inner part of the lens towards my left eye which others have said is distortion. The left lens also comes with a small tear but it’s harder to see. The light coming in from that corner is brighter than anything else and is really damn distracting. So much so that I had to stop using VR.

Since I happened to hear the delay I thought let me give it the most dumb attempt to fix this problem.

The solution?

Stopped the light bleed at the cost of maybe 5-8% binocular overlap for me. Overall worth it cause I don’t have someone trying to shine a light into my eye from the corner of my nose.

The right lens worked perfectly. It’s only the left that had issues.

I dont think light bleed and distortion are same things. Distortion is a regular term even for desctop game, if you set the fov to high or use triple screen setup - you will see objects stretched. This is not exactly the way how it happens with the pimax, but it looks very similar and comes mainly from lense design, imho.

I asked a few people they said it was distortion but maybe I’m wrong. Who knows.

I saw like a mirror image of whatever I was looking at distorted onto the side of my nose.

The tape fixed quite a lot.

@industria If I’m wrong that’s fine. I personally only like Normal FOV and never noticed anything stretched or wrongly proportioned in my 5K+. Don’t wear glasses.

I do recommend people getting their eyes checked though. I went to an optician the other day.

Does that mean you have eliminated distortion on the left edge of the left eye buy reducing light coming from the right side? If yes, can you try same for very wide fov setting (large)?

As shown in my MS Illustration. The problem comes from the right edge near my nose on the left lens. Tried Wide FOV did nothing. Tried IPD. Did nothing. Tried vertical offset did nothing.

The only way I could reduce light was putting tape on it.

1 Like

It wasnt very clear, and still its not, as you mentioned mirroring issue in the direction of the nose, which is opposite of the outside.

Inside issue - manufacturing issue, software issue, faceshape issue, whatsoever.
Outside - distortion.

if you’re fixing outside by covering inside - its a good thing.
But if you’re fixing both of them - its wrong, as i know there shouldnt be any distortion inside (nose direction). Like zero, none existent, never heard about it, through i know how it looks like from 4k headset.

To be honest I never heard of anyone fixing outside distortion using Tape.

As I said my problem is a lens flaw. I’m not sure if tape will work but I am curious if it does work.

If I’m wrong that’s fine. I just want to test my theory. I personally don’t have outside distortion or wear glasses so I can’t test if tape works.

I believe nose distortion (lets call it that way) is rather a “lightbleed issue”, pretty rare issue and its not what many of us are meaning when we talk about pimax distortion issue. The topic itself is definetely good to discuss.

Did you tried to make facecushion thicker? I think increasing the distance between your eyes and lenses will solve the issue too, could also improve sweetspot with no need to use tap on your lenses. There are multiple ways to do this, for example using double velcro (betweet the headset and current cushion).

1 Like

I second to that. It looks like the display hardware defect and excessive light bleed from the background light.

You created beautiful art, generic. You should be proud of your art.

2 Likes

I’ve tried a few things but considering I plan to send this unit back to Pimax for obvious reasons and move onto my 8KX I don’t want to put too much effor into it.

1 Like

Did you try using IPD offset for right eye only?
Edit: sorry, you did try
Anyways it is wierd, looks like a hardware issue, just like if one panel was off.

Yes I tried everything before resorting to tape.