If you remove the IR sensor at least make the pimax turn off when not in use

Indeed they can correct this later & it’s not oled with burnin/out issues.

I myself prefer to disconnect & store if done for the day or use the convienent power switch other hmds don’t have. :beers::wink::+1::sparkles: but often in today’s age minor things are made to be bigger than they are. Like waiting on fast food.

4 Likes

Indeed linux is the :bomb: when it comes to software.

1 Like

I turn mine off sometimes and sometimes I leave it. The main issue for me and probably others is if you turn it off with holding down the button that then begins a process of lucky dip if it works again when you turn it back on, without then pc rebooting and some other farting about.

It acts like you’ve pulled the usb cable and no guarantee it will come back and play nice. So I get the frustration it can cause.

What we need is it to turn off the backlight and front light, but stay in contact, like in standby rather than totally off, obviously having it behave properly when powering off/on too would be nice.

2 Likes

I’m in the opposite boat, I would like to see an option to prevent the HMD from powering off automatically - that function was always a pain with the Vive but at least you could get around it by covering up the proximity sensor.

1 Like

I agree and would prefer any kind of automatic stand-by.

@15-20 seconds: certainly not; maybe 3-5. Don’t exagerate… it might not be comfortable, and I’d like to have an automatic shut-down as well. But it is certainly not that much of annoyance (to me).

I switch mine off when not in use, and up to now, no problems at all with it waking-up again. Which is even better than with my 4K, which indeed sometimes wasn’t willing to power up correctly from IR stand-by.

In any case, @anon74848233, @Sean.Huang: I’d appreciate any way of solving this in the medium term, too, :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well, any adjustable slider in PiTool from 0 to xx seconds/minutes would help any point-of-view :wink:

2 Likes

I don’t understand what you mean, the Vive turns the screens off when you don’t look at them and on before you even see them, there is absolutely no way that could have been an issue. But since that’s impossible at least have it turn off when I put it down.

That’s the functionality I want with the pimax, and yes LCD has burn in, it’s just not permanent usually but can be a pain to remove if you get it @Heliosurge

2 Likes

Yeah it is definitely more like 3 to 5 seconds to press the button for turning it off or turning it on. For me though it takes about 35 to 40 seconds for it to be fully recognized when turning it on. I wonder if other people have just not been waiting that long when turning it on and are thinking that it is not going to connect. I would like a reliable standby mode so that I can avoid waiting that time for it to connect when turning it back on, but it still hasn’t been too big of a deal for me.

2 Likes