I think the 8K should be discontinued after the 8K+ and 8KX launches

This might be contentious but I think this is the right move.

The 8K+ might be more expensive but it is what backers wanted from Pimax and it completely outclasses the 8K. Anyone that didnt do research and picked up an 8K when the 8K+ is out will feel they got the inferior product.

The 5K has its place with 120hz and OLED variation to compete with the Index in the lower end of the market and the 8KX is the highest end competing with XTAL.

The 8K is at an awkward spot it was definitely not what Pimax wanted to make but had to make given the supply and other limitations at the time.

Thoughts?

I think the 8K will only confuse new consumers while not being a good value proposition.

8 Likes

I ve seen somebody asking when it will be available since its out of stock.
Maybe never…

1 Like

Put it in the musuem of pimax headsets never meant to be. Next to my Pimax 4K BE.

As the owner of an 8K, I have to agree. The 8K should be discontinued.

The 8K+ is close to what I originally expected (as a backer) for the 8K (full RGB subpixel stripes, not a “rainbow” checkerboard of G/RB pixels). I know (now) that such a panel was not available at the time (at least at an acceptable price), so I’m OK with that. I certainly would not wanted to wait another year for delivery.

I will probably get an 8KX at some point, but I’ll wait a while for any initial issues to be resolved. In the meantime, I’m still enjoying my 8K.

14 Likes

oh is it out of stock? @PimaxVR emailed me promising sending an 8K and a trackingnr. for my cracked headset a month ago but i haven’t heard anything since. I wouldn’t mind an 8k+ as the 8k is out of stock and shouldn’t cost much more and it is what the 8k should have been :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think you mean they should have never made the 8K and waited till full RGB panels existed.

ehm no because i like the 8k more then the 5k+ myself so it was worth it for me.
Edit but i would prefer they did give backers the offer to wait, i would have done that

1 Like

That’s great, but you realize what it did was create two nearly equal products at different price points, far more complicated inventory, supplier control and manufacturing headaches, public confusion, delays and software complexity, etc.

Remember, saying it should have never been made and instead you should have been given the full RGB one that is coming out now doesn’t negate your purchase decision, as many on here feel bad that they bought a product not any better for more money than the 5k+ and immediately rush to defend the 8K as to not feel bad…I’m not here to say you made the wrong or poor decision as the consumer, but rather Pimax made the whole ordeal confusing and complicated beyond belief with a more expensive product that is only subjectively better…they should have gone after full RGB panels sooner from a business decision. Keep in mind that when more than 50% of users prefer a cheaper product (according to pimax survey and purchase decision), as the manufacturer you should improve the more expensive product or stop selling it to reduce consumer confusion and manufacturing complexity. This is coming from a guy that owns both the 5k+ and 8K. All that time spent on what most other manufacturers are moving away from (pentile screens), could have been spent pushing RGB stripe screens from their manufacturer sooner via R&D or at the very least less delays on all accessories and 5k+ delivery, better customer support etc.

All facts from the surveys aside, my opinion side of it is if I owned Pimax as soon as there was very little difference between the 5k+ and 8k in testing, I would have dropped one of the SKU’s and only showed one to the consumer and just went forward with focusing all my efforts on making that one sku the best it could be and investing in what R&D will allow on the next sku.

1 Like

agree with that. Now the 8k only is a different flavor but it should have been a lot better.
I have the double feeling too i’m reluctant to open my wallet again. I just wait what kind of discount pimax makes for backers and how my 8k will sell. For now the housing is cracked and difficult to sell for a decent price.

2 Likes

They certainly did! I am fairly happy with my 8K. It is a good headset, with a few flaws, but no HMD is issue-free.

Me too. I’ll wait a while before I upgrade (probably to an 8KX), to see if Pimax is improving as a company.

1 Like

Agreed, they stopped producing 5k’s(Did they even start?) I think you meant 5k+.

Yes 8ks should be stopped as they are pointless now.

Pimax has too many skus.

Want to bet they take our money for 8kx, fail to deliver it until next spring, and by then have an 8kxr+ Rugged Edition with RGB Striped oled?

2 Likes

ouch, maybe I should put mine away until the backer discounts are announced, I have no cracks and I now feel I am tempting fate.

1 Like

Yes.

@PimaxUSA, how future proof (other than in PC speed point of view) is the upcoming line of headsets, 8k+ and X?
Are they going to be obsolete in 6 months?
What are Pimax’s plans after the 8k+/X release? OLED RGB coming up?
How long is the warranty of a 1300 eur/usd headset.

4 Likes

These do need to be addressed in Pimax day 2.

3 Likes

They teased us this clip on facebook.

Are these 8KX’s being quality cjecked before shipment?

1 Like

EDIT. Found Your reply in another thread:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-8kx-vision-8k-vision-upgrade-program-for-ks-backers-details-and-trade-in-program/22151/223?u=drwilken

1 Like

Pimax 8K is going to be the awkward abandoned sibling once the 8K+ and 8KX is out.

no an unique precious artifact :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Store it a vault together with my Pimax 4K BE.

yes it’s tech, as soon as an improved model appear it is obsolete, have good memories of the p4k. i liked it in a way