I think I've already decided!

5K+!

I’m only part through Seb’s review, and I’m sold on the 5K’s clarity. SDE is important to me too, but not at the cost of clarity. What I hate most about the rift, is not the FOV. but the unfocused look.So far the 8K screen shots look too blurry compared to the 5K. It will be interesting to see if my thoughts change after the 3 hour review!

2 Likes

Yeah, making targets out at distance in flight sims etc is a bit more important to me.

1 Like

OK, now I’m confused. Just saw Yan Feng’s screen shots and some of the 1X 8K pics appears sharper. This should be interesting, but which ever proves to be sharper will be my headset.

EDIT. I was too quick. The larger pics have loaded, and most of the 5k’s do appear sharper.

http://community.openmr.ai/t/5k-or-8k-my-test-of-m2-through-pictures-of-aerofly-fs2-project-cars-and-virtual-desktop/8249

1 Like

Well the difference is only apparent when you are in a position to compare. In the end when you are inside VR with the 8K, all is good too ofcourse

2 Likes

How do my pictures indicate 8K to be sharper? All apparently indicate the opposite.

Hmmm. blown up your correct, but at first glance the smaller pics indicated differently . I’m going to take a moment to study them.

1 Like

I agree. This pic clearly shows a huge difference.

1 Like

http://community.openmr.ai/t/5k-or-8k-my-test-of-m2-through-pictures-of-aerofly-fs2-project-cars-and-virtual-desktop/8249

5K+ for me

1 Like

Yeah same i mean just look at the bottom of letters on the left lol. The SDE of the 5k+ will still be a big upgrade over the vive’s so

1 Like

Oh btw @mixedrealityTV how’s watching movies in a big theater (VD or bigscreen) like?

3 Likes

That’s very different. Too much to ignore…

2 Likes

Just watched @mixedrealityTV review and I gotta say that (barring new information from @SweViver) I am going to switch over to the 5k+ and use my allotment to get a controller.

Just my 2 cents…

2 Likes

It pretty much confirms what we heard from the Berlin meetup.

1 Like

One thing to note, I would guess that switching to 5k means you will get your headset later. I mean, Pimax has already been manufacturing these things, and considering there were like 5000 8Ks pledged and like 300 5Ks pledged, just from that Pimax would have been manufacturing far more 8Ks than 5Ks, plus the fact that the 5K+ is a new development, it’s really doubtful that there are enough 5K+’s manufactured already to get them within the first few shipments except for pledgers who chose 5K from the start.

I think I will go with the 5k+ too.
Clarity is a big factor for me.
Unfortunately I only have nv1070, but I hope it + the 8700k will prove better than sebastian laptop.

Cheers and thank you sebastian for great review.

2 Likes

I don’t think they have manufactured much of the 8K yet, and if they are wise they stop the production after the Berlin show and the 5K+ announcement. So 8K backers not switching will probably have the headset before the 5K+ switcher, but the switchers should have their headset not much later than if they where no 5K+ choice.

To me if seems the 5K+ will the hot selling product worldwide if no shortage on the new LCD allocation and if Pimax is even wiser the motherboard of the 5K+ is the same than 8k+ less the un-soldered upscaler of very similar design.

1 Like

5k+ for me - keeping an eye on my inbox for the Pimax email :slight_smile:

1 Like

So then the 8k might be better for far off targets.

Keep in mind if pimax can add advanced display properties beyond simple brightness you may be able to tune visual properties to improve the 8k.

How do you mean? The zoomed in photos seem to show more detail in the 5k - those details are what I need to spot [and successfully target] ground units, or make out the markings on far away planes to see if they’re enemy or not. (WarThunder) Basically, far off enemy will look like the blurred text above, in the 8k, and the same enemy will look like the defined text above in the 5k+… as I understand it

1 Like