I really was hoping I was immune, but the cracks have appeared

I suspect the special IR transparent material has too little plasticizer.

it’s just not a normal pvc

2 Likes

My suspicion (my Artisan developed cracks after less than a week, even with a silicone sleeve) is that the pressure of the elastic mounting the headsets to peoples faces is actually stressing the entire casing, and that the surface microfractures from production eventually develop into visible cracks. I don’t think you need to drop or hit the headset on anything, just wear it.

5 Likes

I feel sorry for you, man. I am without cracks, but started ro use the 5k+ since last week after also needing to buy a second hand OG Vive, for LH and controllers. Hope mine wont develop the cracks. I definately understand the feelings, and share them at this point. Its the reason i do not sell my beloved CV1 already, just in case, and although its much less FOV, its sturdy and has the best VR controllers till date.
Not really fond of the Vive wands, but i never was :slight_smile: Way too big and heavy.

3 Likes

I find the comparison with a car or any other product, justified. And i could not ever defend these choises Pimax made to indeed sell a well made version as an upgrade to a product with such a fault in production without problems with my conscience.

I have the feeling that some people here think “anything goes” as long as it’s Pimax related. Could be just me thinking that?

I understand your pain.
All 3 of mine cracked & i sold my 3rd one (replacement) fast.
I tested it for a couple hours first & i still had to sell it half price one ebay as the cracks began to appear.

I wonder how the plastic looks underneath the new rubber coating.
I would bet it’s still the same plastic underneath.
Maybe the rubber will hold it together so it’s not a problem anymore. Or maybe it will just buy some extra time until a crack breaks through.

3 Likes

Yeah I saw those posts, some place in Sweden. As i’m in Canada I don’t even want to imagine the cost of doing that. I think this is going to have to be a write-off at this point. Maybe i will just get the sleeve and hope in doesn’t disintegrate further.

1 Like

I know as a backer of a Kickstarter Product we paid to be guinea pigs, and got a deep discount so we can’t really complain. But I’m more concerned about the Artisans and the Vision Series and the Fragile Editions that were sold to non-backers.

I’m sure I could buy a crappy WMR acer headset used from ebay and it would never develop cracks.

Cracking products is not a new problem, there isn’t a new plastic virus affecting ABS.

This is a manufacturing problem that was solved 40+ years ago.

I’ve seen used virtual boy’s that still look brand new some 30 years later.

If I were a regular consumer I would be very upset if my product started to simply crack in 4 places for no reason.

My OG vive has been placed on the floor and it still looks amazing.

I’m not a backer when it comes to the 8KX. I’m a customer , there better not be any cracks EVER.

Can you imagine Mike from Virtual Reality Oasis opens up his pimax which he shelved 2 years ago just to give it another shot and he saw cracks like mine?

oh, man that would ot look good for pimax at all.

4 Likes

EVER = one year. That’s all it has to last. Then complain? - well, (insert word here) you, buy another.

I REALLY wanted an 8kX with eye tracking. I almost put money in. But they can’t be trusted, just look around here. It’s not like it’s a couple of setbacks that determined haters keep pummeling them for.

The pimax name is well known at this point. To the level that many youtube channels don’t even bother mentioning them when reviewing and comparing kits.

It’s sad the new eyetracking module requires hacking up your audio strap. It’s 2020. 39 years ago,
it might have been necessary to stick blu-tack to the zx81 ram upgrade. To keep it stable and not lose everything from a miniscule movement jolting the computer.

I am disappointed that I can’t just buy an 8kX with eye tracking. Without considering how much over the odds will I pay to get it into the country? Will the quality assurance be there or will one of the screens be darker than the other? Maybe much darker eg black… What if there’s a problem with the cable. Will I spend 3 months back and forth with pimax support before the problem is recognised, and then another 4 to fix it ? ?

This has all came from personal experience plus reading the forum. I write this now not JUST to mock pimax, there is a liitle of that just being honest, it’s also a fact that regular people don’t expect to go through this kind of crap when purchasing a product.

I really hope that I can get an 8kX at some point from anywhere but pimax. To get a proper 2 year warranty and peace of mind that if something either is wrong at the beginning or goes wrong later, I won’t be left in limbo after spending near 2000 pounds on a supposedly top tier enthusiast product.

Yeah, so. Listen up quick before all you have is the equivalent reputation of Skoda cars in the 80s.

Call me a troll if you want, really though, I’m just trying to smack some sense into them before they’re forced to disappear.

9 Likes

i literally have no response, you’re right.

1 Like

I agree completely. This is a manufacturing related issue. Backer or consumer imho has every right to be disgruntled with the black housings not able to exist for even a min of 2 years without cracking from regular non abusive usage.

:pi_smiley:

This is not good reputation for an emerging company trying to have a premium product entering consumer space.

8 Likes

I agree though 1 minor correction. You don’t hack the audio strap it is the face cowl. However I agree this is a huge miss as is the attachment of the magnetic mount that was already supposed to be there for VR Frames adapter.

No one should call you a troll for being honest and demonstrating you care for pimax’s future by giving honest criticism on where they need to improve to start working towards having a positive image to the masses instead of a select few.

5 Likes

Thanks for correcting me. Honestly I have the cash and want the product but as things stand it feels like I’d be a sucker to spend it, and I hope truly that it changes soon.

I am on wait list for index and have thought about going for g2. But I had the 5kXR for a month, so I know I can’t make do with HP no matter the sharpness. I got pimax fov bug. So I figure I’ll just see how long it takes on the index waitlist, hoping the 8kX becomes available in the meantime, though unlikely

2 Likes

I have to agree the FoV is quite alluring and they can do extremely well if they get things in order. More than just the black housing issues. I do know they are working on improving; however as they say it hard improve on a first impression.

2 Likes

I’d wish them the best. It seems like something needs to happen like a bucket of cold water to push things in the right direction and it’s frustrating when they have such great products, but stumble on literally every other aspect XD

2 Likes

Well as I’ve said before, I look at the vision series as their first truly consumer ready hmd. So I will judge them based on that.

2 Likes

Well if pimax doesn’t get a chance to change, the image would never change would it?

Image doesn’t magically change by piling tonne of negatives on top and all of it suddenly becomes positive.

From what I experienced so far, pimax is guilty of being slow, so slow to the point users start to think pimax didnt care, and then we get a response 2 or 3 weeks into it after we voiced my dissatisfaction on a forum or support ticket. Damage is already done when pimax tried to fix the situation.

This has happened many times in the past, when I receive my 5k+, I didnt get a promised tracking number or shipping notification, it just turned up, and if I work back to the shipping dates, pimax actually tries to do what it promised but failed on timely communication.

When my index controller shipped, I didnt get much communication either, and I was questioning why it hasnt gone as promised, but upon receiving the package i checked the parcel details, it did shipped as promised but same situation, communication was lacking, and caused a bit of dissatisfaction. But it was held up because covid19, I do feel abit guilty for accusing pimax not follow through the promise, but pimax did, just not good with communication.

So I have since then try to be more patient and bit more understanding before I make a image damaging post about pimax. Which I feel pimax is not perfect but may not deserve this much of negativity. I am guilty of some damaging posts, and I aim to not continuing it.

5 Likes

I think this time around pimax did not ship consumer ready units to youtubers, that’s why the lack of interest, because this did not allow for them to generate and hype the views. No view no money.

But backers get them first, I am satisfied with the decision and understand pimax missing out on the potential benefit of 8kx hype to fulfill 8kx backers.

2 Likes

There is a difference between negative and giving needed criticism. Without it a person or company may continue not recognizing a problem exists.

I am however confident that pimax will improve as I have seen some of their best qualities pre kickstarter.

3 Likes

Unfortunately pimax has lost a lot of ground they could have continued to have from the success at Jan 2020 CES. However it doesn’t mean they won’t start to gain interest back if the 8kX continues to have decent reception and minimal delays.

2 Likes

I did put some electrical tape on mine and the silicone sleeve cover and I feel better since… Lolll

2 Likes