I pulled my 5k+ off my desk onto the floor, this is what it looks like 2 weeks later

Per the title, my cable got wrapped around the arm of my chair and when I turned the HMDgot yanked onto the floor. The damage from this fall consisted of a very small split, maybe 1cm – long enough to see a tooth of one clip sticking out right at the middle of the right vertical seam. I could not manage to get the clip tucked back in, and you’ll see some scratch marks from the tools I used to shim in the soft plastic.

Already a total disaster in my head, everything tested functional and I accepted I just lost all resale value but at least have a working HMD. (I wish I took a picture of it in this state, but the pain and inner turmoil didn’t allow me to dwell too long on it)

Fast forward 2 weeks to today and holy crap guys:

It’s just growing and growing, can also see a new big crack around the top corner, and there’s another not shown starting underneath. it’s like there’s some pressure/tension pulling against the glue and now I can see 3 distinct clip teeth on the “wrong side” of the lip.

Does anyone have any good advice or maybe even some easy steps I can follow to pull the front panel completely off so it can be re-seated?

Much appreciated :frowning:

2 Likes

I would say, don´t touch it - just be happy that it works. The chances are bigger that you do more harm than fix it somehow.

3 Likes

I used

2 Likes

is this a type of rubber cement? it didnt damage/dissolve/whatever the plastic?

I used gray duck tape (usa) on my Rift S when it started to break at the clips. As long as works I could care less what the outside looks. It is where I’m at and what it looks likes in VR.

1 Like

tape is not doing it, most of this damage grew larger under tape :frowning:

Careful with Cements. If that is the one I used years ago it fogs clear plastic.

Epoxy would likely be better

6 Likes

Already asked for a new new housing? that was worth the dollars to me.

Another way, 2component glue / epoxy. And then a silicone sleeve for better look

I think you’re right. I had a few spots on the lens, I had to clean.

1 Like

The solution to all problems.
besplatnaya-dostavka-silikonovyy-zashchitnyy-rukav-dlya-pimax-vr-garnitury-silikonovyy-bbb67cc8b519325c1e8f21652b864ea5-500

3 Likes

I am not really sure how this will perform over the time.
For what we know, the headset even develops cracks when not in use, i ordered a silicone protector myself too but i am worried that it might not dissipate the heat well enough and cause more cracks, time will tel i guess.
Regarding @sethw issue, i am glad headset still works :slight_smile:
Few weeks ago, i decided to open mine to check if could fix the headphone jack .
Its not that hard, very useful info and picture there ,
https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimax-5k-teardown-panel-info/17276

One thing tho, be very careful when trying to remove the front case, use a credit card or something similar ( avoid sharp object ).
I did find when opening mine that the ribbon cable was not secured in place properly.
Glue is not recommended, has @Heliosurge some glue can fog clear plastic and then affect tracking.
Don’t be afraid of opening it, take it easy and make sure everything is connected before you put it back together, do not try to power on without the front case as it includes front trackers and headset will get in dfu mode.
hope it helps :call_me_hand:t4:

3 Likes

Recommend to apply 2 layers with fabric adhesive tape like duct tape. The first layer (orange) for fixation and the second layer (red) as dust protection and reinforcement of the fixation. Hope it helps!

4 Likes

Pimax needs finally a repair service and not only in China!!! Henderson announced that but we know Pimax, it could last very long…

1 Like

Well while the op may have had his damaged from a fall. Majority of folks have a manufacturing defect. Not good for the company image.

2 Likes

From desk height to floor isn’t really high. These Pimax headsets are pretty fragile.
An original HTC Vive wouldn’t have any problem with that kind of fall I think.

Just do what Pimax appears to hope or expect us all to do and give up the stretch goals an order the 8KX.

2 Likes

FWIW it’s a wood floor, it’s enough to make me want to install carpet :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve thought about the upgrade a lot actually, but i really like my 5k+ esp at 144hz and it was such a good value from the kickstarter pricing

2 Likes

Indeed it was a great price especially if or when we get all the stretch goals! I have thought about the 8KX as well, but just can not bring myself to going for it. Waiting for more of them to be out in the wild. Just hope yours holds up and it looks like this is exactly why they are now sending out the skin in the backer kit.

1 Like

What a drama, in the end I didnt actually remove and reseat the face plate – but using credit cards was the right advice. using two cards and an amount of force that could only be described as brutish i was able to get the teeth tucked back in and my pimax is no longer an outie.

Really though it felt like i was going to fold the whole hmd in half which how much pressure it took. here’s the damage it did to one of the cards:

1 Like