I made a short documentary about Pico

Thought some of you might be interested, hoping to do more videos like this on various companies/headsets but they take a lot of work so don’t expect any soon. Although maybe some short and bitter sweet ones like DecaGear could be sooner ha.

8 Likes

Well as per your channel name lots the choose from

Early visionaries like AntVR and FovVR etc…

For quick fun SegaVR and Nintendo flop in red monochrome. :crazy_face:

Nice video. A shame you resorted to non VR footage near the end.

Byte Dance have a great team and know how to make a balanced headset to satisfy the mass market and enthusiast. But when you crunch the numbers and sell a headset at a loss and struggle to make up the difference in app sales then you have to raise the price of the HMD.

Personally I wouldn’t sell the Pico4 below $500 or at least break even on the hardware.

I’m looking forward to the Pico5 but that model needs to have eye tracking, 2880x2880 min, 120FoV and a price below £1000 to get me to upgrade.

So £500 for a subsidised headset and £1000 for not subsidised headset but with better features is where I would go in 2024.

5 Likes

I’m surprised anyone actually watched it that far and not just listened ha. Thanks! I did actually struggle to find footage that made sense so did throw my hat in a bit, I have gotten some better sources for future videos and will be getting a stock footage subscription so that shouldn’t be an issue going forward.

I agree, they should just go for a well made Meta alternative that doesn’t lose them money, but that said I guess the main reason for a meta alternative is the main reason many wouldn’t consider a ByteDance headset either.

If those pico 5 leaks are true (personally I doubt it) then it will be incredible and outclass anything else. Hopefulyl Pico 5 does come to the consumer market in the west, the more competition the better.

2 Likes

You could have just looped the Pico promo material or added some clips from other YTers review videos classes as fair use if you were desperate.

Great video and very interesting. The technology war between the USA and China certainly didn’t help Pico market into the USA, look at the current flap around Nvidia GPU restrictions for China :pensive:

3 Likes

oof is this true, they canned the Pico5 https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/s/689wIpExXG

1 Like

It seems to be true as several professional outlets are covering it.

Bytedance to focus on Apple Vision competitor.

Hopefully Bytedance read the response of the “leaked Pico 5” chart and are going straight for the Pico5 Pro Max.

I suspect their new hmd project will likely have a new naming scheme.

I’m not sure. If they upgrade the Pico4 they could name it Pico4 Pro Max.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.