I just received my 8kx and can't get the optics right (solved with ipd hardware mod)

Hi All,
Yes, I’m in the same boat also. This is very frustrating as I have not been using the 8KX because this has been a problem for me that I have not been able to resolve, just as stated by others and put nicely into words by @Profundido. I have experienced the same as described in 3 and 4.

I recently go frustrated waiting for the DMAS and after getting a somewhat weak confirmation that it will be delayed until sometime after the CNY, I decided to take my Vive DAS off my Pimax 5K Plus and attach it to my Pimax 8KX and try finally using this thing again, I was pleasantly surprised with the improved sound compared to the SMAS, but then I was quickly reminded of the impossible visual issues.

My IPD is 63.5 Near and 65.6 Far / Segment Height: 24.9 Left and 22.0 Right.
I purchased Prescription Lenses from VRMUST.
I have tried everything, I was hoping that IPD Adjustment Tutorial that shows in the Menu and was mentioned by @SweViver was here to possibly assist as I am at a lost.

Symptoms:
Same as described by @Profundido

2 Likes

Hi if you found the MAS worked save the bad sound.

Here are some options.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/pimaxvr-mas-guide/34369?u=heliosurge

@Heliosurge,
Thanks But I was trying to avoid going through the hassle of doing my own modifications with my 8KX, after all, I paid $1200 USD for this thing. But once I got the really bad news that the DMAS was being delayed again and the CNY was just around the corner, I just decided to Remove the DMAS from my 5K Plus, I already had the 3D Printed parts, it’s now attached to my 8KX and I don’t think I will every go back and change it unless there are reports that the DMAS is superior in Sound Quality to the DAS.

I get so sick of alway having to compensate for things when they have cost me so much money.

And I’m just too lazy to fiddle with this any more since now I have pretty good full bodied sound from the DAS.

1 Like

The SMAS is only intended as a place holder or for those whom are looking to either have really easy removal or use own headphones.

If you have ordered DMAS at time of 8kX it should be on par/similar to Index as it is said to be using the same bmr drivers.

There is a cool mod on reddit using cv1 headphones no 3dprinting that even uses the MAS’ headphone jacks.

I do have the kdmas of which with having Vive DAS can say is higher quality sound. Which of course with pimax now selling it for same price as SMAS. Imagine SMAS will be phased out as as predicted by the community was not well received.

This SMAS mod/addon by @Virtualmisterl has good reports.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/improved-pimax-smas-sound-with-a-3d-printable-headphone-sound-cup/31621/32?u=heliosurge

@Heliosurge
I was reading your statement:

I am currently using the Vive DAS with a 3.5mm to USB-C Adaptor, Not a single 3.5 input on the HMD. In your opinion, Would you say that the KDMAS has better sound quality than the Vive DAS?

1 Like

Yes imho the kdmas sounds better. Is the headphone jack broken on the headset?

Hi @Heliosurge,
No, the headphone jack is not broken, I was just reading in one of the threads that you should not use a single input jack on the 8KX as it would not have the output power to really drive the headphones.

I ended up purchasing a 3.5mm to USB-C Adaptor that has a built in DAC and ADC which shows up in Windows as a DVD Quality Hi Res headphone.

It supports the following:

Smart DAC Chip

This Headphone Jack adapter is compatible with up to 32bits / 384kHz while others are 24bit/96Khz or 16bit/48Khz. High-fidelity noise reduction design, clear sound quality conversion, bringing you original sound quality.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.