I GET RID of ALL issues with only one SIMPLE MOD

Yes, this is my impression when I’m looking at rEvolve. Still may be a better option than DAS that is not tilting but using all three mount points or Pimax headstrap that is tilting but using only top clip, if somebody can modify it to accomodate Pimax via all three mount points. I don’t have my headset yet to understand if it’s possible or not.

1 Like

I have a 8K, but a friend of mine has 5K+. We are testing with this :slight_smile: I’m waiting another HMD, a 5K+, and want to create some test videos about this mods.

And the date is today. I was all day working on it hehe.

3 Likes

Added your Topic Mod to 5k 8k directory

3 Likes

Amazing job 2020char

12 Likes

I just did the same to my og vive that always gave me a little eye strain compared to my rift and my PSVR. I never knew why that was until your post! I always tilted my rift and my psvr slightly downward to have a clear Image now with the facepad of my vive being 1cm thicker on the upper side it gives me better visuals. Maybe Pimax should just produce a differend facepad for european big headed people lime me x)

6 Likes

Thank you very much! I did exactely the same following your modification and have the same result! Very sharp, no IPD problems any more… My glasses fits well now! In fact I noticed that the picture quality is dramaticaly getting better once when I tryed to turn my glasses inside the headset but did not have the idea tu put extra foam just upwards (instead I just add 10mm all around the glasses which gained room for glasses and improved picture quality a bit.)

Thank you for genious idea!

Tomas

9 Likes

Wauw thanks! i will save this for later

3 Likes

I’m really happy to help the Pimax community :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow this is great! Nicely done!

2 Likes

I like how the OP wrote about his experiences. It’s like an reading a adventure story. :blush:

5 Likes

Fantastic insight, thank you @Yen !

2 Likes

Thanks hahahaah :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

“Pimax engineers hate him!” /s

5 Likes

I hope not … I love them. I hope they also love me for removing a problem :slight_smile: Hahah

2 Likes

I’m trying to go in the other direction - with thinner padding. With my head (form and size) the included cushion or thicker leads to small stereo overlap and dark borders inside of the vision from the black plastic holding the lenses. While posting about this in the past days I have noticed that other people also experience this but consider it “normal”. However this can be fixed with thinner cushion.
The problem is that the warping become stronger, so some experimenting is needed to find the optimal padding and headset position.

3 Likes

what do you mean by warping exactly ?
I tried @Yen mod, it is better for the clarity but I have a strange effect like a light fisheye effect, like this but lighter :

2 Likes

thats the whole thing about distortions. too near or too far away from the lenses and you will see optical sideeffects. there is no solution for everyone.

3 Likes

Yeah I tried this mod too, didn’t help me. I can get rid of almost all blur by finding the right foam thickness and I can optimize distortion (geo transformation of objects) by adjusting the HMD up/down on my face, but I never get to the point where the world really stays ‘stable’, like it’s really there, it always transforms slightly when I move my head. Adjusting the tilt doesn’t fix it neither, I’ve been trying that again tonight, but no, it always stays like this.

I’m really not sure why it seems only a minority who has this problem. On my vive pro I never had this problem, the world was always extremely ‘stable’. With my Odyssey+ I have this problem a little bit, but nowhere as bad as with the 5k+

1 Like

Yeah that does seem to be what I’m describing, the world ‘compresses’ towards the edges. It’s indeed nowhere as bad as the pic but this is indeed ‘distortion’. You can optimize it by moving the HMD up/down your face and find the spot where this effect is the least, but it never gets 100% right, at least not for me. I still find this the biggest downside of my 5k+

2 Likes

I don’t know if the distortion algorithm calculation is based on the distance from the eye to the screen assuming the Fresnel lenses distortion matrix is fixed but maybe playing with distortion matrix values can help? I think somewhere in the forum it was information on how to change it?