HTC Vive Cosmos Elite Gear VR Lens Swap Tutorial Plus First Impressions

Try the cosmos without the huge front cushion the fov difference is incredible.

1 Like

Yeah I just tried doing the Gearvr lens mod, which reduced the FOV but trying to find a good thin cushion since it really does help to remove that giant one.

1 Like

I did it myself. I removed the cushion turned it over, picked the glue apart at the top and removed the massive cushion. I found a piece of foam I had just a couple of mm thick. Cut it to shape and re-glued it in. Makes a massive difference and it looks original. I also fitted these…

£6.96 26% Off | Soft Leather Eye Mask Sweat-proof Mat for HTC VIVE Cosmos VR Headset Accessories Replacement VR Eye Mask Face Cover Pad
https://a.aliexpress.com/_esAisX

They are around half the thickness of the standard set.

1 Like

How did you find the lens mod? I thought it improved the headset immensely. Better clarity, colours and sweet spot.

Yes it definitely improved, but introduced distortion. Have you found a good distortion profile to use with it? I also got some dust in that I need to try to blow out, I tried with compressed air but it didn’t get everything out.

1 Like

I don’t see any distortion at all, the person I bought the adapters from said they were made to eliminate the need for any profile editing. Works 100% for me.
I used…

Dust I used…

Hama 5610 Bellows Blower 55mm Diameter Bulb

Worked better than the spray as I could hold the Hmd upside down and get the nozzle right in. Mine was awful with dust but I used the blower with the open cavity facing down and nozzle right in and now I have none.

I used this 3d print file. GearVR to Vive Lens Adapter by GrodenVR - Thingiverse I see there’s a new version that says it removes distortions on the vive pro so maybe that will work on this too

2 Likes

The ones I bought work on a Vive pro also so probably the same. I watched so many videos on the fish eye or barrel distortion so I knew what to look for but there really is none. The world is the correct scale as well. I’m very impressed.

1 Like

Hmm, the only thing I could imagine one could do with the adapters, to tune in the distortion to be closer to that of the original lenses, would be to change their depth, but that should have the immediate consequence of shifting focus, right along with it… <:/

Maybe the maker has judged it acceptable to lose a little bit of focus in the centre - moving the focal plane out to a ring around it instead, and extending it a bit farther out (assuming moving closer, rather than the other way around)…

I wondered how they have improved the adapters regarding distortion. The clarity edge to edge is fantastic and I have not noticed anything off at all. If you have a cosmos it’s a huge improvement. The colours are so much more vivid. I tried half-life with the modded cosmos and the detail of the Russell’s is far better than the index. You can see every tiny detail perfectly.

1 Like

Hmmmh… Maybe the first adapters were simply too high or thin, then, getting both focus and distortion wrong, and the newer revision better dialled in to everything… :7

1 Like

I’m really pleased with the mod it exceeded my expectations. The dark scenes in half-life are now genuinely terrifying compared to the Index.

3 Likes

Please try the newer file and ditch the cushion and let me know what you think? I hope you’ll be as impressed as I am.

1 Like

Always nice to hear of great experiences. :slight_smile: :

Never got around to trying a pair of my old Rift DK1 lenses in my old Vive, before I wrecked the poor thing… Still modelled and printed the adapters, for some reason. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I currently own this blower device for dust and it’s pretty powerful:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01BI4UQK0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.