HTC Vive Cosmos Elite Gear VR Lens Swap Tutorial Plus First Impressions

I agree, for example this whole thread is pointless for me because I don’t have any problem with godrays on the vive, or OG rift at all. Sounds like funny business. but maybe i’m just lucky I can’t see them.

1 Like

I don’t really see or notice the god rays either. I’ve seen them on thru the lens pictures but they’ve never bothered me enough to even say they are there personally. I used a OG vive as my first headset.

1 Like

Yeah, god rays were only bothersome for me on the Index in like the first week or so, but now I couldn’t care less about them. They’re only noticeable in scenes with a black background and white text. While playing regular games, I don’t see them at all.

1 Like

As far as i recall, yes. I used it with my Vive pro.

For you maybe, as we’ve found out it’s different, yea. For me it’s essential, godrays or glare are both highly annoying to me and the reason I’ve returned the Index.

I have lighthouses and the knuckles, and my 5K+ SN204 has rotational latency and Pimax hasn’t replied to me in almost a month. I have tested others and they don’t have the problem. That’s super disappointing. That’s why this Cosmos Elite lens mod is so interesting to me. It should provide for a better picture than the Index in both colours, SDE and largeness of sweetspot, and a headset that’s not broken, while supporting the knuckles. I wish Pimax would just help me, and fix my 5K+, I received this 5K+ around Oct/Nov 2019.

1 Like

I am also very interested in the cosmos elite for all of the above and the wireless functionality. I hope Pimax get back to you soon.

But don’t forget about distortions introduced because you have a suboptimal distortion profile. Depending on if you are sensitive to distortions, this is a showstopper.

Well, quite much time has passed since you tried the mod, which was in the very beginning if I remember correctly. I have not tried myself btw.
But is it a worth a thought the due to a bigger community using that mod, the distortion correction profile/s may be way better than back then? Just like Pimax profiles gotten better (far from perfect though)
But in fact more people may have worked on the profiles of this mod + a longer period of time than pimax actually.
Bottom line, your statement may be judgemental as of yet. Too much time passed to keep up the conclusion „tried it (ages ago) and it‘s not gut“
Hope you see where I‘m going with this.
I‘m a fan, but this doesn’t mean I have to take your word for it. keep up da gut work :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I didn’t see any updates since April 2018 for the distortion profiles of this mod. Anyways, as I said, perceptions are really different and for some people this might be amazing while for others it is not working at all. I belonged to the latter group. Anyways I believe it is good to at least know that there could be problems instead of making this sound like a solution that will work for everyone.

3 Likes

Thank you guys.

Due to the Pimax 5K+ transition between different paddings and now the CK I have found out that distortion strongly depends on eye distance to the lenses. The further away, the smaller both kinds of sweetspots get - the less pronounced distortions will be - and the smaller the FOV. Due to this, I had no distortions in the 5K+, unless I had removed the paddings and got very close, then they were strong. Eye distances are generally different among and within populations. I have a very long natural distance between eyes to the lenses.

Anyway, I have got the 8KX on order as one of the very early sales (within the first 10 minutes) from Pimax Day, but I don’t know if I can dare to expect a delivery within 2020 by Pimax. So I was looking for a temporary alternative, and thought this was an awesome idea, but Sebastian @mixedrealityTV pulled be back to the ground there. Maybe I should be patient… let’s hope I’ll be positively surprised.

P.S. I have forgotten to mention, I have rotational input lag with my 5K+ SN204 in 65Hz/90Hz modes. And Pimax does not reply to my support ticket anymore. It’s the main reason I think to leave Pimax behind now.

2 Likes

Hi Sebastian. I believe the adapters themselves are very different now and they help with the distortion and barrel view. I think vrgamerdude probably got something similar. No need for any additional fixes.

HTC Vive/Cosmos Gear VR Lens Mod Adapters, latest version+pre-configured barrel.

2 Likes

This I understand, thank you for that clarification.

1 Like

Hi,

I looked those up on ebay and that is exactly the same package that I purchased 2 years ago. If you read the description of the item, it says “One of my buyers have kindly confirmed this is also compatible with the new Vive Cosmos since the lenses used are identical and with no percievable barrel distortion”.

So yeah, it also fits into the Cosmos, but I would be a bit careful with the claim “no perceivable barrel distortion”. That is also why I tried it on my OG Vive 2 years ago because some people raved about the solution, just to find out that I had just ruined a perfectly fine headset because I personally could not stand the new distortions that were indeed there. Again, mileage might vary and for some people this might be an amazing mod.

1 Like

Hi Sebastian. Like you say everyone is different. Vrgamerdude is loving the mod as are many more. Can easily pop the original lenses back in if it’s not for me. :+1:

This person rates a modded Vive pro over his Index!!

Tyreil hints how impressed he is with the mod at the end of this clip.

1 Like

A typical example of one not necessarily comparing what one believe one is comparing,

Don’t get me wrong; I am a great proponent of smooth lenses and OLED displays, and both these can not but give the guy considerably better contrast, etc in the Vive.

but

In that video he is running Alyx at 144Hz on the Index, and 90Hz on the Vive Pro (100% render size on both), believing that this way he is giving the Index all possible advantages, but not realising that the difference in frame rate will be directly reflected in reduced actual render resolution for the Index, due to Alyx’s adaptive quality kicking it down, in order to be able to maintain that higher frame rate.

…so everything he says about being able to see details (except that which concerns e.g, being able to resolve things in the dark), has to be taken with a generous pinch of salt.

3 Likes

The guy in the top video used HL:Alyx to compare and set the index to 144hz where the Pro is only 90hz. I didn’t watch the whole video, but we know that title has dynamic resolution. Depending on GPU, I would expect that the lower framerate would result in a better looking image regardless of the difference in lenses. Hell, just doing a comparison with the Index at 90, and Index at 144 would possibly show a difference.

I am in the camp that believes fresnel is trash and VR needs to get away from it as soon as possible.

Edit jojon and I said the same thing at the same time.

3 Likes

Above examples were people enjoying the mod only :0)

Querulant minds think alike… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

As far as I remember there was barrel distortions fix for orginal vive and pro dowloaded via LH system. So meybe this fix is still in his LH firmware and somehow is correcting barrel distortion in Cosmos as gearvr lenses are the same.

some people would say the same about a Pimax.

But I agree if your going to risk distortion problems anyway, you may as well risk it for wide fov :slight_smile:

1 Like