How to play dirt rally VR on pimax 8k, 5k without revive and steamvr

Hi OP, cheers I’ve had some success with the pitool room setup but it’s a bit hit and miss. Does anyone know of a way to assign some kind of button press for a headset recenter which mimicks oculus? I think this would solve the problem.

That said with a little faffing on the pitool room setup every time it does work and I can run the game on in high graphics with CMAA and it looks incredible compared to the revive version.

A final note for information: The flashing/strobing people noticed is down to smart smoothing, turn it off as it doesn’t work properly in this mode. I use 72hz as I can maintain close to this frame rate in most stages except rain at night in Wales which is around 45fps.

1 Like

If hmd was facing the front when you started the game, there should be no problem.
Have you tried using the recenter feature of piplay?
If you install pitool after installing piplay, you can use both.
I use piplay’s recenter and gyro off occasionally.

Yes started with hmd forward. It’s not the orientation that’s the problem, I can recenter that with the in game key (ctrl by default) but it’s the fact the camera position is often laterally off to the left by half a meter, so the menus are off centre and the in game camera position is too. It resets to centre if I faff with pitool room setup enough but I’ll try piplay as you suggested to try the recenter function which might make things a bit quicker. Will report back, thanks for the tip

1 Like

The issue you mentioned could have happened if you had the hmd in hand when you started the game.
If you put it on a flat floor and start the game, there will be no problem. This is a mystery, but it is true to me.

The vertical centering doesn’t work, only horizontal centering works (for the ingame recentering feature).

To have good vertical centering you need to have the HMD at the right height when the game is launched.

I think there is an initial centering when the game is launched and only this 1st one have a working vertical centering.

Then you also have the posibility to adjusted the car seat (forward/backward, and up/down, but the range is limited and may not be enough if the initial vertical centering when launching the game is too much off from your seating position for driving).

1 Like

The way is only Room setup. Centering while game starting doesn`t work.

1. Set up “calibrate your space” correctly
  2. “Locate on the floor” Put headset on the floor and write in window 30cm - > save
  3. Test game
  4. If position in car is to low do steps again, but as point to setup 50cm
  5. test game
  6. If position in car is to high setup 40cm etc

More Value [cm] position is higher, less value, position is lower.

Now i got it running, and it runs good :grinning: Problem for me was the activated smart smoothing.

Now i am running without Smart smoothing and without parallel projections at piTool 1.0, 72 Hz and medium graphic settings.

First i had the known centering problems - without lighthouses the drivers body was to far on the left, with lighthouses the head of the virtual driver was to high. Did a sitting room setup with piTool and now it is good. Have to do only some minor adjustments because the head is yet ca. 10 cm to high. Vertically the centering is perfect

wow
i’ve lost an entire night trying to set up the older steamvr + older revive combo in order to play it smoothly, and i’ve succeded but both dirt and steam vr crashed very often, that old steamvr was unstable and dirt+revive too.

then i’ve saw this post… great tip thanks, if only i’ve read this 5 hours ago…

tomorrow driving day… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

BIG NEWS!!

1 - to recenter the view just change video option (eg.msaa) it will recenter your view

2 - IT WORKS WITH PROJECT CARS TOO just put 234630/OtherVr inside the txt, oculus version DOES NOT NEED PP

update: no way to update view in oculus version for project cars you need to wear the hmd in the exact position when launching the game (big problem for me as my hmd is in another room), i need a virtual desktop that doesn’t use steamvr

update2: i’ve made a macro with logitech mouse that click after 30 seconds, so i have time to go in the other room and wear the headset :slight_smile:

i’ll try project cars 2 too ill let you know

5 Likes

OP, I love you!

:kissing_heart:

Aaaaand then it stopped working :frowning:

Worked fine for one race, then after coming back to it today I try it and it crashes just after the splash screen…

Project Cars 2 Crashes with that OtherVr addition for me :frowning:

i have pitool ss at 1 with small window, maybe it doesn’t work with higher resolutions/wide screens?
it works fine here with the previous beta, haven’t tried with the current one, not installed yet.

project cars 2 you need the correct id that is 378860/OtherVr

Thanks for that clarification with pCars 2, that resolved that one, but Dirt still alludes me.

I’m running PiTool 132 release but tried rolling back to beta 129 and had the same result. It’s very odd, especially after it worked the first time I tried it.

I hit Start, I get the Dirt splash screen, then a black window with the Dirt logo that sits on the screen for about 30 seconds, then goes back to desktop.

Starting it normally works (obviously without VR).

Further to this, I uninstalled Dirt today, completely deleted everything on the system related to it and started from scratch, same result :frowning:

Hi all,

For those of you struggling, please follow my instructions step by step in Post 70 of this thread Dirt Rally Setup

This explains everything in detail and it will get dirt rally working perfectly for you.

Cheers,

Andy.

3 Likes

I had the exact same problem, and after a while I realized it was because I had not named the ‘steam_appid.txt’ file correctly. I created the text file by right clicking in the DIRT Rally folder, selecting ‘New’ > ‘Text Document’ and entering ‘steam_appid.txt’.
But that actually results in a file named '‘steam_appid.txt.txt’, because Windows automatically adds the .txt extension. After deleting the extra ‘.txt’, the game can be opened wia PiTools. Its a bit hit and miss, sometimes it works great, some times it gets stuck starting up. Usually I just reset the headset and try again, that usually works. When it works, it runs great, even on my GTX1070. Thank you @park, DIRT Rally is now my new favourite game!

1 Like

Does anyone know how to get a screen mirror when running Dirt Rally through Pimax? I cannot see anything on the Dirt Rally game window when I am watching my cousin race. All I see is like the roof of inside the car it is annoying. When I used to run with Revive I could run the mirror and we could spectate much better.