How to play dirt rally VR on pimax 8k, 5k without revive and steamvr

Got it running with the two Oculus dll in game directory.

Start menu is showing twice. One before me is mirrored and the one in the back has the right orientation. Pressing the VR center key shows the right one before me.

In the car the vision is somewhere between the knees of the driver, no chance to center it correctly. Got it one time running ok but both displays were flickering (as running on low hertz)

Flickering can be resolved by lowering the graphics settings.

1 Like

Does this still need an old steamvr version or works with the latest?

No steamvr required.

1 Like

Can this be implemented in a future iteration of pitool drivers rather than users messing around this.

This game is still a benchmark, and a favorite one with so many VR enthousiasts.

1 Like

OMGā€¦ Dirt rally finally works on my Pimax 8k!!

6 Likes

This isnā€™t working for me. Not sure what iā€™m doing wrong.

If tell me in detail how you tried, I will be able to help you.

Thanks for the response.

Okay so I initially had Dirt Rally on Steam. And I used to play on my Rift.

Iā€™ve navigated to the install folder, which is in steam apps. Iā€™ve created the text file as per the instructions, and iā€™ve copied the dynamic link library files into the folder. Iā€™ve also navigated to the .exe in Pitools. Iā€™ve tried launching it from both within the folder, and from within Pitools. And nothing doing.

I am using the latest beta branch of Pitools. Only received the headset yesterday. As yet no extra tracking solution (basestations etc), just the headset.

1 Like

Tested today again.

Without parallel projection, lighthouse tracking and SteamVr/Revive. Runs so farā€¦ but the screen was still flickering (like a stroboskop). Then reduced graphical settings to minimum and the flickering was mostly gone - not completely. At some point of a stage the flickering was back. Somtimes the screens go complete white. The whole picture feels unsettled, like running only at 45 hz

I dont see the benefit. I have lower graphic quality and no tracking as running with ReVive. Have i missed something?

2 Likes
  1. Did you do this? copying both files LibOVRRT32_1.dll and LibOVRRT64_1.dll(https://drive.google.com/open?id=1M11Zdytb_B3_r5v2oI5pr7ZCTKxdnam1 ) to the folder where dirt rally is installed will work without oculus software
  2. Reduce rendering quality in pitool setup

In Korea, there is no same issue yet in my forum.
I will try again.

It thought you didnā€™t need the .dllā€™s

Works great. Thanks! No lag in tracking which made the game unplayable with revive. First I had flickering of the screens but then I reduced rendering quality in pitool to 1 and set 90Hz refresh rate and then it worked well.

But Centering is totally off!
Im not centered when i start the race , im above the car and recentering doesnt work.
latest beta version of pitool.

Try doing room setup in Pitool, and set the HMD to around 150cm while wearing the headset and then calibrate. Vertical should be better, but recentering just moves horizontal like you said. @masta2k9

Mine works perfectly. I am using Nolo VR controller with lighthouse tracking option off. Maybe thatā€™s how? Why donā€™t you just try with headset only without lighthouse tracking just for a test.

I have already tried without lighthouses - no success

Hmm I get odd centering issues as well. Sometimes it will centre correctly and itā€™s great having the extra performance this brings over the revive version but most of the time Iā€™m to the left of centre and pressing the recenter button in dirt doesnā€™t correct this, only the orientation but not lateral offset. I donā€™t use lighthouses. Any ideas?

pitoolā€™s room setting will help you.