How to exceed the maximum resolution of 4096px imposed by SteamVR

I get the message "command rejected: (connection broken) settings
when trying to use the console
Where are the files hidden if I wanna try it the other way, I think I knew but somehow I could not find it. Tried to search for steamvr.app but no luck so far.
Any suggestions?

1 Like

Scroll up @tristanc pic shows location.

Something like Steamapps\resources.

3 Likes

this is the path to the file

\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources

4 Likes

Because this res increase really hammers the FPS is this hack mainly beneficial for watching VR movies as the dramatic quality increase wonā€™t induce ā€˜lagā€™ and nausea with movies as it does with VR games due to reduced GPU demand?

Thanks.

3 Likes

Will this bring my 1080ti to its knees?

2 Likes

Thanks!
So this may come in handy for the OD+ as well.
This way u could SS the crap outta 2d movies since I figured that more SS did not do anything from a certain point. Movies on 5k areā€¦not worth it, still too much SDE to really enjoy.
But for non demanding games like the Lab itā€™s gonna do some good.
The biggest surprise for me is that lower fps are not that much of a big deal. Indeed games that struggle with high settings and even brainwarped to 45 are quite playable. On any other device I would have thrown up asap. So for some games it may even be an option to sacrifice fps for more SS which I never thought being possible.
However Iā€™m wondering if BW is 40 on the 8k or still 45 which may introduce artifacts due to the 80hz.

2 Likes

Iā€™m on the steam VR beta and updated this value, then the beta updated and it reverted back to the default again.

It looks like updates to steamVR can set the value back again. At least the most recent beta update seems to have done this to me.

1 Like

Brainwarp Refresh settings
8k. 80/72/64
5k+ 90/72/64

1 Like

Lots of people have been demanding 90 fps from Pimax thinking they canā€™t live life without it. But I had a Pimax 4K capped at 60 and it never bothered me at all

3 Likes

The wider FOV of 5k/8K increases nausea Vs Pimax 4K though.

1 Like

But so far, at least for me this is not happening. I am not getting any nausea even though Iā€™m not hitting 90fps

1 Like

This is gold. Give your friend a hug from me! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

i guess it really depends on the device, eg the Oculus go was a no-go with 72

1 Like

Does changing the maxRecommendedResolution work with parallel projection enabled?

1 Like

Indeed but I am probably a mutant. I only suffered frogs legs in beginning of phonevr having some rubbery legs.

Now I can play games like distance, redout, SublevelZero & Vector 36. :beers::alien::+1::sparkles:

1 Like

Should as long as pimax doesnā€™t have itā€™s own governor like steamvr.

That is a fantastic discovery. Apparently this limit is a major limiter for games which require Parallel Projection to be enabled, like Elite Dangerous.

3 Likes

Wow, love redout but I canā€™t play it in VR, itā€™s too heavy on my stomach. Tried a couple of times but I need to recover for an hour even after 3 minutes of gameplay. Luckily there are many games that I can play without any issues. I donā€™t think that I have problems with VR sickness but redout seems to be a challenge.

1 Like

Yeah redout is heavy on resources.

no, i donā€™t think so
i had no problems with a star vr but the 5k+ did
imho its about the distorsions and maybe the the ā€œobject fluctuationā€ on the edge without the paralle projection on
since i found a way to get better results for a less distorted picture it got better, far from good or a point where iā€™d recommand the thing to a friend but at least i dont have to shelf it and even as i really like to have wireless (like with my tpcast/vive), if pimax would offer it now i would not buy it - as long as the distortion, facecusion, headstrap stuff is not out of the way i will not invest further
they might be able to catch some people with the preorders and direct selling so they can not give the HMD back, but if they start retailing the thing as it is now Iā€™d guess a low selling rate without lighthouse/controller and a >50% return rate because you canā€™t just strap it on an have ago like with vive and oculus wihtout i high risk of nausea

even the lighthouse system turns out as much more trouble as you canā€™t just buy this stuff, i do have two 1.0 units from my vive but if they breake ā€¦ also a point to think about
(and iā€™m only thinking about 2 years time, anything beyond that is not worth to think about)