Housing Issue Reports (cracks, imperfections etc.)

@mozi

So it seems to be the left side for most people? The side not reinforced with the IPD dial and switches. The left side does have more flex for me.

I am in Norway also, it is logged on my ticket for a new cable that cracks had also appeared.

@PimaxUSA I saw here that a European service centre will be sorted out by next month. Would it be better to wait for that to deal with a return from there to speed things up with a replacement. The cracks are not getting too in my way of using it, but I will want to replaced eventually.

2 Likes

they need us to give us the upcoming RE Pimax HMD casesā€¦that will fix our problems

6 Likes

I knew the moment Kevin mentioned the new ā€œruggedā€ (I think thats the word he used) version, users with a cracked headset will start demanding it for the replacement.

6 Likes

i have to return my headset because of light bleed and faulty cable. now i am afraid that i will receive the new headset and weeks later or months will have cracks or again light bleed. this cant hapen pimax. backers need more love you cant give the headsets with so much problems. you have to change this.

2 Likes

At least he didnā€™t call the RE crack resistant.

9 Likes

If a backer had cracks on their HMD like the oneā€™s seen here in this thread, what would you guestimate would be the turnaound time on an RMA return to the new US service center? As much as I hate to ask that question considering I just got this thing, it is reassuring that Pimax is offering support.

@PimaxUSA @Pimax-Support @Heliosurge

1 Like

I am afraid if I ship it back, and months later receive a new one with the same problem happening in another two weeks.

I just filled a SUPEN to Pimax Support. I just hope they change it with the new mentioned rigid models. I can wait till a stronger casing becomes available.

2 Likes

yes, my concern as well, or worse yet getting one with dead pixels or some new issue.

The RE or ridgid model will retail for $500 over the price of a regular 5K+ so I doubt they would do a straight swap.

1 Like

The announced RE model should already be what the consumer model should have been. Mine so far works ok, but I worry whatā€™s gonna happen to this casing in 3 months? This really is a big issue.

1 Like

It was anomalies in the cooling and deburring process. You shouldnā€™t assume all housings are vulnerable to that - the vast majority of them arenā€™t. The small number that do develop that issue we will help via warranty or later on via a repair service.

3 Likes

Team is working hard on organizing an EU service center but for now if it were me I would work with the existing team. The center could take some time to get started as there are some added considerations.

4 Likes

Most of the cases are not vulnerable to the cracking issue.

5 Likes

@Pimax-Support @PimaxUSA

2 Likes

Is Pimax able to identify the batch of units with the cooling and deburring anomalies? Not sure why I ask this question as it has no impact in changing the overall outcome of those units. I guess my thought process is this. Has management been proactive in planning for increase production of cases to help expedite the repair/RMA process? Iā€™ve not received my unit to date, but want to be as prepared as possible.

6 Likes

Good question as they could provide batch by serials affected.

5 Likes

I received my replacement unit back yesterday and did a more thorough test after work.

No dead pixels that i noticed so far, build quality has improved and black dots are very much diminished and hard to notice on red background, unlike the previous in your face dots in red backgrounds. (checked on all sorts of color backgrounds).

And rma speed has gotten better since the initial struggle.

If pimax can continue in such trend, this is a hmd i would recommend to a tech savy user.

6 Likes

After seeing this thread I checked my headset and yep - mine has cracks too. Also my headphone jack has had problems since day 1. What can I do about it? I live in Europe so I assume PimaxUSA is not an option?

@mozi

1 Like

But, majority of pledgers and preorders have received their Pimaxā€™s in 2019.

1 Like

Not that there is an issue but have you actually taken a good close lookā€¦use your cell camera to zoom in.Thought I was good until I used my camera to have a macro look.

1 Like