High end audio for VR

How do you like your Hd 800 ? I receeived mine 2 days ago. They are a bit too bright and painful to listen, even with my questyle cma 600i which was extra build for this headphone :smiley:

1 Like

You have pair them with tube amp + highend dac. I also changed orginal cable witch give me some extra bass. I love them especialy for Elite Dangerous and jazz + electronic music

1 Like

Can you link me those 3 pieces ( cable , tube amp and dac . I will get them now ) :slight_smile:

DAC: Young MkIII – M2TECH srl. ( I have older version -Young DSD)
AMP: I have Little Dot mk4 SE ( se have different tubes) than this one below

about cables - it was for prepared for me by this company in link below ( I told them i need extra bass)

1 Like

A low(er) cost solution for good headphones is also Apogee Groove. Haven’t tried it with HD800 headphones, perhaps you can test them somewhere though, they are quite commonly available in shops. Or order from an online shop with a generous return policy.

Edit: There also seems to be a 30th anniversary edition with slightly better specs for 100€ more (at Thomann instead of twice the price when using MSRP): "It seems like each of the distortion specs is 2db better for the Anniversary Edition than for the standard Groove. The DAC itself ( ESS Sabre 9016 – 32 bit processing) is different in the standard Groove (ESS 9006A – 28-bit processing). Actually it’s DACs, not DAC as the Groove uses four DACs per channel, summing their output to create the current input for the amplifier section. "

2 Likes

No offence but you dont know what you taking about in this topic :slight_smile: He have high end audiophiles grade headphones (1200€) and you want connect it with toy ? Have you ever checked headphones impendency? This beast need power to show potential and you suggest even biger bottleneck solutions than he have right now :slight_smile:

It is for headphones up to 600 Ohm. Am using it with an AKG K812, imho sounds good. But to each their own.

1 Like

yea marketing spec, good luck with usb power line section :slight_smile:

K812 and afaik also HD800 are reference headphones. They are so expensive because they are built to give you exactly what is in the audio material. Nothing less - but also nothing more. So they expose every issue in the recording and thus can sound objectively worse than headphones that are built to please with warmer tone and being less analytical.

The Groove is a little on the forgiving side (not overly analytical), but not as coloring as e.g. a tube amp, so it retains the reference character. (Am using the combo for mobile sound design - works well).

A cheaper alternative to building an expensive chain to get a reference headset to sound more pleasant overall might be to buy a headset that is optimized for that purpose (e.g. the HD650 series)?

1 Like

Just saw, Sennheiser offers the HD660S+Apogee Groove as a bundle at a discount. For music listening this imho looks like an interesting combo!

This one will probably sound even better - I doubt that it can be 100x better though
 An A/B blind test would be interesting! (Just “for science”, personally I would never consider the latter).

1 Like

For all those people with High End Headphones , please listen to " Bump from Yosi Horikawa" on tidal. I am blown away and I am using only the Sennheiser Hd800 with the questyle cma600i amp :smiley:
Cant imagine how this would sound on Audeze Lcd 4 or abyss 1266

3 Likes

Interesting! Wouldn’t buy the CD - but could be cool live!
Edit: Listening to the album (“Vapor”) now (on Spotify, no Tidal here) - it has something!

Honestly: most of the time I only think “wow, this sounds cool” for the first few minutes, then I just listen to the music, so the job of the headphones/speakers is just not to get in the way and pull me out (by sounding dinstinctly horrible).
Same as with 3d cinema: Cool for the first 5 minutes then I mostly forget about it. (Unless it disturbs
)
Or (to get back on topic :wink: ) VR headsets with slight screendoor effect etc.

Perhaps like listening to a choral or fugue vs analyzing it (and admiring the brilliance of the composer). One is more for the heart the other more for the brain, both can have their place :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“Cant imagine how this would sound on Audeze Lcd 4 or abyss 1266”

You will still have bottleneck - DAC is not everything ( is imho overated) , for best results you need low jitter USB section - so DAC have to be connected to dedicated USB card like PPA or FEMTO
https://audiopc.shop/en/winkel/usb-cards/audiophile-usb-card-v6-ppa-studio-paul-pang/

For DAC and USB card I’m recommending separte from PC linear PSUs . Like Tomanek Tomanek ULPS USB - zasilacz USB do przetworników audio

Also recommending software like Jplay ( try trial first) or jRiver. Minimum for me for flac files is foobar with asio plugins :slight_smile:

2 Likes

wow I didnt even knew that such a thing would even exist ;D .
Did you try it , does it really sound different ?

1 Like

Which one ? I tryied lots of staff before VR era :slight_smile: now retired from audiophile but still have this stuff connected to my PC

1 Like

Did you try the linear psu or that strange audiophile usb card ?

1 Like

yes I have 2x linear PSU ( 1 for DAC , 2nd for USB card) and PPAv3 Audio USB CARD. If you have jitter free USB section every dac will sound 2x better more analog one with clear vocals and wider sound stage. In my opinion you dont even need DAC for a 1000$+ if you have this devices.

2 Likes

Could you tell me what headphones you try in your lifetime :slight_smile:

I wonder if you have heard : Audeze Lcd 4
Audeze Lcd 2 Classic
Hd 800/s
Hifiman Ananda and Arya and HE1000v2
Abyss 1266
Stax l300/l500/l700, 007,009( with blue hawai tube amp ofc xD )

And I would like to know what cable you would suggest for Sennheiser H800 ( non s) to make them warmer and especially what tube amp .

I am sure you got alot of experience already thats why I am asking you :slight_smile:

1 Like

I participated in the Audio Show in Warsaw several times ( 2nd biggest show in EU) so basicly have tried all high end headhones realsed before 2016 As I remember I was foused in that time on 3~4 headphone companies , Bayerdynamic, Senheisser, Stax and Grado. In 2017 I have cured myself form this madeness and quit audiophile.
In my home still have several Senheisser heaphones.

1 Like

do you have limited budget or unlimited ?

2 Likes