Help with IPD - can't focus both eyes

I have a strange problem. I had to replace my 5k+ because the left display kept flickering. Now I received a new one and it works fine - almost perfect.

Except for one thing: no matter how close I dial the IPD in, one of the lenses always is out of focus. It does work when I move the headset - then the other eye is in focus and the formerly focused is out of focus.

It’s really a shame, in Elite Dangerous the image is crystal clear (albeit a bit contorted, as if bent around sharp edges and not smoothly curved). I can read everything, it looks as good as on screen. But I can’t focus with both eyes.

Can anyone tell me what’s going on, are the lenses improperly mounted, is the knob mechanism for the IPD damaged, anything else I could try?

Assuming you didn’t have this focus issue with the previous flickering headset, this sounds like a hardware issue to me. Personally, I need to shift my 8K a bit to the left (of center) for optimal visuals, but that doesn’t seem to apply to your situation.

1 Like

I don’t know if I’d had this issue with the old headset, as the left screen would stay black most of the time - or it would flicker so much that it was unusable.

Is there any way to find out if this is an hardware issue? I somehow got the impression that IPD is also a software issue, where can I find those settings? So far I only tried the wheel on the HMD.

You might wanna read this:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/clarifying-near-ipd-x-distant-ipd-confusion/14809

4 Likes

Hi @specialsymbol, Which version of pitool do you have? Have you turned on the parallel projection? Thank you.

2 Likes

Check if both lenses move when you change the IPD.
On my headset the left one was stuck and I had to press (gently but firmly) on the plastic around it to unstuck it.

4 Likes

Thank you! I will try this tomorrow!

2 Likes

@Matthew.Xu
I have V1.0.1.132 and parallel projections is on

1 Like