Help for kinect and Pimax 8k

Hello everyone
Someone has some tips on how to make the kinect work with my 8k.
Steamvr works and sees it, with the Drive4VR program.
But as soon as I turn on the pitool the kinect disappears and consequently does not see my 8k.
I keep the latest version of the pitool and updated video drivers, all to the rule from the forum manual.
If someone like me uses kinect in the absence of towers
gives me an info.
thank you so much
:thinking:

I too would very much like to hear about this. seeing as we wont be getting basestations/controllers for probably another 5months i was thinking of trying the xbox one kinect tracking for fun in the meantime.

I use 3 PS-Eye cameras + 2 Move controllers + 1 DIY PSMoveService tracker + Driver4VR (I have both HMD positional data and controllers). Tracking quality is meh, but at least it is something.

1 Like

oh yeah, thats an interesting choice too, i should see how cheap i can get some of that.
Do you need to buy anything special to connect it to PC?

You need to have bluetooth in your PC, also you need to have Driver4VR (although there are probably other solutions that don’t require money) to have positional data for the HMD. But that is all, no special connectors, dongles, etc.

I could get a bluetooth adaptor easy enough. and i dont mind paying for some useful software.
You said PS-eye camera, isn’t that the PS3 one? did you mean that, or playstation camera? (the PS4 version).
Because i can get the PS3 cameras for $15 each, but the PS4 ones are a bit more random and can be expensive (enough that i wouldnt bother tbh)

Well mostly any camera can be used, but it is really cheap to get ps eye (I got mine for 5 bucks each)

^^^^^These ones

Awesome, those are the ones i can get as many as i want cheap as from a local place.
So you would say they are good enough to be worth a try? what sort of playspace are you able to create? do they work alright with USB extender cables? (sorry for bombarding you with questions)

Also in your first post you said

1 DIY PSMoveService tracker

So is that like using a psmove controller in a similar way to a vive ‘puck’ tracker or am i guessing wrong there?

Maybe i could try my kinect and this ps move method for body, headset and controller tracking, simultaneously (if possible). I could even then repurpose it once the actual basestations and such arrive.

If you have moves already and only need to grab a couple of cameras, I’d give it a try. The tracking quality isn’t the most precise in the world, but nothing can beat lighthouses. In my experience it is enough to play something like Beat Saber and just good enough to play Dead Effect 2, although you will have to calibrate magnetometer and gyroscope frequently.
It is standing or sitting VR only, ideally every PS Eye is at most 1.5 meters away from you and a least 2 can see the bulb on any controller at a time, so 4 cameras ideally. There is a drift issue, but it is tolerable.

About tracker The Best Way to Head Mount a PS Move Controller for Perfect Head Tracking! [Part 3] - YouTube

AFAIK in Driver4VR you can use everything simultaniously and if I remember correctly if you have Kinect you might not even need PS Eyes, but I can be wrong.

I dont have the move controllers but im pretty sure i can get those very cheap too.
Well if its enough to play some games like that i think i might give it a shot.
So no roomscale at all? its mainly just tracking hands i take it, not position so much?
I could definitely get 4 cameras, a local store has over 10 available all at a very cheap price.

Oh of course that one was for the head tracking part, dont know how i missed that. thanks for the video.

Ok, ill have to have a much deeper look in forums and on Driver4VR site and really see what its all about then.

Thanks a bunch for all the help

Roomscale is possible perhaps, but not with ps eyes, the resolution is too low and you need the bulbs to br visible to two cameras at any time. Don’t expect much tracking quality wise. Only positional tracking is really reliable, as long as one has a proper setup. Yaw, pitch and roll can experience drift, it is not comparible to the proper Vive experience. Still, if you can get it on the cheap and brave the setup, it is a way to wait it out.