Headset Disconnected - Steam VR Error

Ok, my first post never appeared so here is a condensed version.

Had my Pimax for ages but after the initial flash of usage the flaky software and constant problems drove me back to the vive as it just worked.
With the backer kit and some time over the xmas holidays I’ve had another go.

KDMAS is installed and a massive improvement as is the comfort kit and foams (I wear glasses).

All hooked up and after some uninstall re-install of pitool I got it all registered and set up, I can see the moon/planet scene and everything is tracking as far as I can tell.

SteamVR fails to detect the headset with the 280 error. Nothing disabled in settings (but I can’t see anything pimax related either). Pi service is running. I’ve uninstalled SteamVR, reinstalled, installed beta and restarted a million times.

I can play oculus games (robo recall) worked fine except for no sound.

What have I missed?
I have a case open but with those guys in China and me in the UK it’s a long process.

1 Like

Can you post a screenshot of the error as no info on a steamvr error 280 on a google search.

Apologies, 208 not 280

1 Like

No worries.

If you have tried what is in this reddit thread

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/eqxyyy/steamvr_error_208_headset_display_disconnected/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

May also want to try Steam Support. From what I read it is a relatively common problem since Vive. I haven’t thankfully experienced this.

As your having luck running Oculus titles (you might need to change audio device in windows to get sound to hmd head phones).

2 Likes

Morning.

I’m still investigating this. Spent some considerable time yesterday switching things around and feel like I can eliminate a few likely causes.

Luckily I had a second PC running a 980ti in my office. Hooked up the Pimax and it worked first time, started SteamVR and could get into the home screens. As it works with Oculus on the VR machine and SteamVR on my other machine I’m happy to say the headset/cables are all ok.

I uninstalled the GPU drivers using DDU, uninstalled SteamVR and cleared out the files. folders and registry of all traces. I had KatVR running on the VR machine and that has also been removed. Rebooted and reinstalled and still no good.

I swapped the GPU’s between machines and still have the same problem. Works on office machine with the 1080, same failure on the VR machine (now with 980ti). So I’m pretty confident that the GPU and DP are all good as they work on one machine and not the other.

I have plugged my Vive into the same DP’s every test cycle and that works, no Error 208.

I’ve disabled all security software and firewalls and no difference.

It seems that there is some form of communication failure between PIMAX and SteamVR. Steam works, PIMAX works but they can’t work with each other.

Ideas?

sorry for u. welcome to pimax shiiit world.
i mainly try to solve bugs, reflash, reinstall and perform their beta testing for free instead of gaming…never again. hope a proper 140 fov headseat launches soon.
try shutting down the headsead completely, use 266 firmware and avoid 102 pieceofshiiittool.
use 101 266 and flash with included firmware. I H@TE this brand
…really

U know the problem is Pimax firmware and pitool ;)) friendly Frank
but hey why not wonder somewhere else instead of releasing a stable product
sure contact steam support to fix the pimax
friendly Frank

Have you seen a message from ateamvr might show up on start not sure. Something saying some steamvr addons disabled?

If so try managing addons. Steam maybe in safe mode. Pimax might be disabled by steam.

1 Like

yes, sorry forgot to specify that Steam VR BETA version (install the beta 1.16.1) actually works better with this, less disconnections.
good luck
LB

Hello all.
Well I managed to fix it.
On the machine that was working I noticed that when I opened addons I had these.

The Pimax addon was not appearing in addons on my ‘broken’ machine.

I uninstalled both SteamVR and Pitool and removed every reference, config file and associated file I could find to each of them. Searching through my whole PC for anything referencing SteamVR, PItool, pimax etc.

Rebooted, searched a few more times, found some extra bits each time and effectively kept that up until I wasn’t finding anything more. Used CCleaner to purge everything and check the registry for divorced keys.

Both SteamVR and Pimax uninstallers leave loads of stuff behind.

Disabled my AV and firewalls.
Installed Pimax, rebooted it and it’s all detected and working as it did before.
Reboot again.
Installed SteamVR.
Rebooted.
Pimax addon is now in the list and works with SteamVR. Yay.
enabled security software again and still good. I need to test some more but I think we are all good now.

Not sure which of the steps fixed it but as its now working I’m not going to investigate further.
Hope this helps any others who have similar issues.

2 Likes

Hi bullett,

Have your problem:Headset Disconnected-Steam VR Error been solved?
If not , you can make a ticket for help in helpdesk.

Apple

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.