Hands-On Review of the Varjo VR-3: A Human Vision Resolution Headset With Micro-OLED Displays!

In this video I will be providing the first ever hands-on YouTube review of the Varjo VR-3! This enterprise VR headset has Human Vision resolution with Micro-OLED displays, Auto-IPD adjustment, hand tracking, eye tracking, custom lenses, and more!

8 Likes

Awesome vid, thanks! So it sounds like the only downside is the FoV. I could live with 100 though, hoping we can find a way to make it comfortable with 100 horizontally.

BTW, just curious, if you play a 4k flatscreen vid, does it look as good as on your monitor?

Also, I assume this will now be your default headset? All others are going onto ebay? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What about blacks? Is it worse than on VP1 or Odyssey+ in dark games scenes? (There blue this scene, HLA, phasmofobia etc)

Does it have smear when you turn head in high contrast scenes?

thx

2020202020202020 2020 chars

1 Like

Great review!

So what’s gonna happen when I will decide to sell it.

I don’t understand how this subscription model works.
Can I sold Vr-3 and subscription together?

Nobody gonna buy from me Vr-3 without subscription and I don’t wanna stuck with $5k debt.

1 Like

The most reasonable options would be:
if you bought a perpetual sub, it’d transfer to the new owner (perhaps a fee)
if you bought an annual sub, the new owner would have to start their own sub

Anything beyond that would be pretty bad PR for the company.

3 Likes

i wish i had the money… then i had bought it straight away…
Mabe i can sell my wife… lol

3 Likes

Why not? The new owner can just start subscription at Varjo

although the headset resolution is quite an amazing feat, the fov is a bit too low for my liking. dont get me wrong, you can increase it by playing with thinner foam or no face foam at all, but the thinnest facepad I could enjoy might still be too low fov. I dunno, but regardless amazing video and a overall good review

1 Like

Pretty good review. The through the lens image is very sharp even from less than desirable out of the headset via phone capture. I would wait for a wider FOV future variant hopefully. Are those aspheric lenses?

1 Like

Blacks look decent but not as dark as Odyssey+. Probably because of the peripheral LCD panel. However the contrast and colors are amazing. No smear.

3 Likes

Varjo doesn’t specify if they’re aspheric but they are definitely not fresnel.

2 Likes

I was thinking about the blacks. The Oled are only at the center while LCD’s around it. Oleds colors will have to match the LCD’s for seamless image transition. That leads me to think that blacks will suffer a bit from a true Oled capability since it will have to match the lcds

1 Like

I don’t know about everyone else, but we need to tell these companies that we will not tolerate subscription services to use a product that we already purchased. If they add “great new features” then maybe an upgrade purchase cost to get those features. But to pay them to improve & fix their product along the way is robbery. If we allow it, they will all be doing it.

4 Likes

You can buy it without subscription (or ‘life time subscription’). It’s a lot more expensive though. I actually thought it was a smart way to reach customers with a slightly more tight budget.

2 Likes

You do know that this HMD isn’t for consumer use but enterprise and business only. And being business it’s no difference than paying monthly for office 365 and a bunch of other subscriptions I have to pay.

3 Likes

One thing i realy had hoped was inky oled blacks,but thats not the case…
For the rest great headset…

1 Like

The Oleds technically can produce inky blacks. But the Oleds probably were set to match the LCDs. They may be constraining the Oled colors

1 Like

Perhaps. I guess I forgot that these screens also had LCD panels. Was super excited about the micro-OLED part. The colors and contrast are still really nice though. So I think the headset is worth keeping.

2 Likes

Remember the Rift vs Vive period in 2016. They both use the same display, but the Rift blacks at that time were nerfed to prevent the Oleds from fully turning off, this help mitigate the bleeding from blacks when turning your head with fast motion. This still prevalent on the Samsung Odyssey, OG Vive, Pimax XR etc… Not allowing Oled pixels to fully switch off will yield similar blacks to LCD, hence why Vive had better blacks than the Rift after Oculus implemented that feature.

1 Like