Hand Tracking not working, install issues. Anyone with 5k+/xr have it working?

So my hand tracking came the other day, and I can’t seem to get it working, I’ve seen a few others with the 5k units having issues, so I’d love to know if anyone with a 5k of any kind has it working with theirs? Details of my problem, and testing that I’ve done below.

Attaching the hand tracking module and turning everything on, PiTool doesn’t detect that I have one. Looking in Device Manager shows the error “This device cannot start. (Code 10) {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful.”.

I have done some various tests now. First a complete uninstall and reinstall of PiTool (v1.0.2.087 v2) and Pimax Experience (0.74 beta), deleting the appdata folders. Pimax was using my USB 3.0 port, so I tried it in the motherboard 2.0 and 3.1 ports also, but that made no difference. I have a 2080ti so got a usb-A to usb-C adaptor to try it on the usb-C port on the card in case it was a motherboard usb power problem, but the issue was still the same.
And as per u/Heron-Beautiful’s suggestion on reddit, I got a usb-C to A adaptor, and plugged the leapmotion directly into the pc (although I did double up adaptors so I could plug it into the C port on my 2080ti). Device manager showed that the device had started properly, and on opening PiTool, it detected I had the leapmotion and offered to install the software. Once it was all installed, I plugged it back into the headset, and plugged the 5k+ back into the same port I had just installed the leapmotion from, but sadly whilst on the headset the leapmotion has exactly the same problem.

My headset is 5k+ serial starting 203 with 269 firmware, pc specs are i5-9600K on a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO with a MSI 2080ti.

So, does anyone have it working on a 5K unit, or has all the testing been done on 8Ks? As the problem shows in device manager this looks like it’s either a firmware issue so that the USB hub in the 5K isn’t working as it should, an actual hardware limitation of the USB hub on board the headset, or it’s a Windows 10 compatibility issue. I tried it in both the lower and the upper USB-C port just to check it’s a problem with both. Obviously I’d much rather it work on the headset without me having to run an extra cable and bluetack the thing on, so any info on working units, and possible fixes, or what the issue is would be great :slight_smile:

1 Like

I haven’t tested yet(og 8k). However if you have silicone protective sleeve(spikey boi) the silicone interferes with the usb-c connector. So I need to remove HT module to reconnect HT without the sleeve interfering.

1 Like

Yes, I tried first with the silicone on but took it off as it clearly wasn’t going to work with. Will need cutting to shape if I ever get the tracking working. Sadly not such a simple issue here though :frowning: I even tried with extension adaptors in case it was the fit between the unit and the headset.

1 Like

It might be an idea to test with a usb-c to usb-A connection to pc.

As the usb-c connector is maybe backwards as we now know the usb-c is only connected to Usb2 controller as only the 8kX has usb3 controller.

So like the ET it is possible the usb-c connector might be need to be connected rotated. Which would be very bad if this is the case.

Just be sure if testing with an standalone usb cable to connect to a usb2 slot to match headset ports.

I’m not quite sure what you’re meaning with this one? I did the USB-C to A with the leapmotion directly into the pc and it installed ok like that, and shows up in PiTool no matter which of the USB ports it’s in on the pc.
I just tried turning the leapmotion round and plugging it back to front on the headset to see if port orientation makes a difference, but it still has the same error. I’ve tried plugging it into the top USB port with a cable too to see if it’s just a problem with the lower port, but the error is there also.

1 Like

Okay then you have tested in the way I was mentioning.

I was only suggesting usb2 ports on mobo as the headset is only usb2

You might be able to use a flash drive to test the pimax hmd usb ports.

I would recommend filing a ticket as it is possible the hmd usb-c port might need a teamviewer session to determine what the issue is.

A good idea testing a flash drive, just put one in with some videos on and it’s recognised ok and the files play.
I’ll have to file a ticket I guess unless anyone has any other ideas.

1 Like

id be interested in the results of this as i have the same issue/

(Heron-Beautiful)

1 Like

anyone managed to get it to work?
The handtracker is not recognized by pitools as shown in the how to.
Seemed that some stuff got installed on windows though right at the moment I connected it to the HMD.
I mean, I was prepared for it not to go smoothly, it’s a Pimax product afterall.
Nonetheless I‘d like to know if it is broken or if they just dish out broken drivers that may be problematic with certain PC configs.

1 Like

i got it working but not through the headset (headset issue i think 201 serial number so pretty early) used a usb c adapter and stuck it to the front of the headset the pitool then saw it and loaded the necessary sware

s

1 Like

you needed this workaround just for the first init? then replugged it to where it supposed to be?

Are you using the silicone sleeve? If so you need to remove it or cut out tye area for HT as it prevents the USB-C connecter doesn’t plug in far enough.

1 Like

203 serial here. It installs fine connected directly to the pc, but when connected via the headset it shows in device manager that it hasn’t started properly, so even after installing won’t detect in pitool. They can’t seem to reproduce the problem, so I’m waiting on a ticket reply to see if they can remote connect and see what the issue is. Hopefully it’s a firmware or Windows issue, and not a hardware limitation on certain units.

1 Like

Hello,

Just to follow up your issue sir, does the technician contact with you recently about the remote session or still no response at all?
Maybe you could provide us the ticket number, and we will urge them to arrange the remote session to resolve the issue.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a wonderful new year.

Sincerely.

1 Like

@PimaxQuorra Not had a reply to my ticket #11399 yet, but just assuming that’s what they’d want to have a look at. If you wanted to have a look into that, that’s be great :slight_smile:
Merry Chrimbo

1 Like

nope unfortunately thats the only way i can use it. and i am all out of warranty

S

1 Like

i am using a sleeve but figured out early it would be in the way and took it off - still no joy

S

1 Like

omg just when i hoped the odyssey is over I‘ll get lured for tickets all over again.

I already knew about issues with the sleeve, therefore I removed it but I‘ll wait to cut it because:

1. maybe the usb of HMD has issues
    no warranty
  2. maybe the HMD has issues
  3. the tracker has issues
  4. drivers have issues
  5. help of support takes longer than I may be interested to deal with Pimax
2 Likes

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they can figure something out.