Hand-Tracking (Leap Motion) in Beta v0.30 - Watch the video and try it out! :)

Hey Marcin! My feedback: WOW, just wow! Finally some true use for my dusty old Leap Motion controllers. Very nice and rather flawless feeling, minority report in VR, how cool is that!!! trully great work on that!! Very suprised by how good tracking works, can´t wait for new hand tracking device and will order it, just hoping for many games to support it and it works and feels as good as in Pimax Exp.

One question: I figured out “restart” button also recenters the view. I would prefere a separate button for recentering the view only. Also, some times when I push on restart, the view recenters and I can go one with testing, but some times it crashes pimax Exp. screen and I only see the black screen with Pimax logo and have to restart the service from within the pitool.
Cheers! :beers:

3 Likes

Thanks mate, finally! Nice to hear from someone who is just as excited as I am hehe. I actually love the hand tracking interaction, been missing it in general and havent really had any usage of the hand tracking units here collecting dust for a year or so. Its far from perfect, but this is really something refreshing I think. Its kinda weird that SteamVR havent implemented this ages ago (I know there are tweaks to get Leap Motion working in SteamVR but it wasnt really user-friendly).

I think with some more improvements, customization such as sensitiviy options, other hand models, different pointers, custom gesture-features (like dragging the UI by double-pinching with both hands), extra UI panels stuck to hands (Im looking at it right now), this could be a really cool introduction and demo for hand tracking. If not, then at least a fun feature for all Pimax owners who bought the Hand tracking during KS.

Restart simply reloads the unity Scene, and upon startup of the Scene the re-center is made (requested by beta testers in early versions), so I wonder how I can “ignore” the re-center view upon restart. Let me see what I can do, you have a good point there!

Thats weird. I have noticed another issue. There seems to be a strange behaviour with the Pimax SDK. One our of 20 times maybe when doing a “restart” or when starting a game, the HMD suddenly reboots. Nothing in the log. So weird and difficult to track whats goign on :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Pimax is making the start and as long other manufacturers don´t join and offer such hand tracking modules, once again pimax users have the chance of using best tech available first . but even with Leap motion controller attached, it is much fun! :slight_smile:

I am sure, other pointed same things out, just didn´t read it yet. :no_mouth: Those are minor things to add, but I really, REALLY like the overall look and useability already! :clap:

Well, after all it will allways be a PC running it on countless configurations and softwares/bloatwares/other background services that might interefere. It wouldn´t surprise me it´s the same here. Let me know if there is some helpful log I can send and where to find it.

2 Likes

I am!!! Unfortunately, my coding skills aren’t up to actually being useful and I don’t have my 8kX or tracking module, yet, so all I can do is watch and drool… :drooling_face:
Keep up the good work, my stuff will be here soon enough! How’s your caffeine supply? :crazy_face:

1 Like

Got the hand tracking module as part of the “mystery box”. It works great in supported applications - like Pimax Experience!
One thing: Cannot find a way to save the profile in a way that hand tracking stays enabled by default. If I scroll down in the customization panel then there is no save button, just a message “changes are saved automatically” - which doesn’t seem to be the case. Thus have th reenable hand tracking each time when returning to PE. Is there a way?
Thanks and kudos for the great work!

1 Like