GUIDE how to achieve Perfect Real View with Pimax IPD compensation

1. Ideally yes, but I think you can work with different spaced cameras and just adjust after - after all VR videos are shot with single spaced distance but it does not mean that other people can’t watch it. Also with 3D photos I sometimes adjusted spacing later with good effect (esp. for macro shots where it was just off).

2.-3. Not really, it depends on lens design. Usually you are supposed to look through the centre, but most lenses are symmetric circular design, which Pimax lenses are obviously not. The image itself (LCD screen) is not centered in front of you (as i.e. in camera or telescope), but is more to the side on angled screen, so who knows what kind of geometry you actually need to achieve good result.

3 Likes

Well I’ll be damned. IPD offset -2 made image perfect for me. Yep, there need to be a some kind of simple guidance to set this. Two or three sentences and a test pattern. But what is the best approach to find your values in the shortest amount of words?

4 Likes

Mine became wow at -2 too. Interesting when so many people don’t even go beyond -0.5

2 Likes

I think most people stay at 0.0 and get good image (like me). The slider was introduced mostly for cases where people could not get good picture just by adjusting IPD.

3 Likes

Edit: Would be cool if there was an easy test, sadly my expirement fails 2nd time around(no double vision through all HW IPDs)

For science I’d like to introduce the flinch test, possible with Virtual Desktop or similar SBS viewers.
Because I saw double vision instead of 3D in some SBS clips I had to recalibrate my settings.

If you can watch the clip without flinching when the baseball is hurled at you, you’re either a cool dude, not human or your headset could be miscalibrated (at least for this clip).

Clip

LG DEMO DISC 3D vol 2 SBS 2011 ENG BluRay 1080p Side by Side - YouTube

An easier but less meaningful way could be a test image

Test Image

For fullscreen, open with image viewer, start slideshow and pause immediately.

For people more qualified in the topic, is this test meaningful at all and will it translate into a better gaming experience. If so how is eye strain affected?

3 Likes

I tried -1.0. It gave me instant eyestrain; -0.5 gave me a headache after ~30 minutes. I’ve gone back to 0.0. If you are already getting a good image, this adjustment may actually make things worse.

5 Likes

But my experience is similar. Dialling the soft IPD down produces eye strain but I was simply experimenting with what the different settings would do because I couldn’t get a good result in the small ranges.

The I suddenly stumbled on this combination of big soft IPD change and adjusting the hardware IPD back again.

2 Likes

OMG when you get this adjusted close to correctly it is absolutely sensational! I didn’t realise how sub optimal my previous configuration on different headsets has been!

7 Likes

I’ve never known a sense of presence like that before in VR. It’s not ‘like’ i’m there. My brain is convinced I am there!

5 Likes

@Fitzy Now quick! Play Richie’s Plank Experience!

6 Likes

can you change it on the fly or does the hmd has to be reset everytime?

1 Like

“2.Add the function of IPD offset adjustment (when physical IPD adjustment is unable to continue anymore, try to use this function, Beta function)”

This means you can use the software offset to set the IPD above or below the min or max that the physical rotary dial allows.

2 Likes

I have just been messing about with IPD offset adjustment and come to the conclusion that for me I need the IPD dial as low as it will go and soft IPD at zero, and that is as good as its going to get, I will have to live with the fact that it feels like I have a finger print or a smudge on the left lens as I cant get the hard ware IPD low enought, its usable but not optimal.

2 Likes

That’s a lens flaw and not something the ipd settings are inherently made to fix.

Having an IPD of 76.5 I am very happy with this innovation of IPD offset adjustment, maybe after 3 years of VR I will seriously start with relevant amount of that fun. Chapeau to Mr. Weng and his colleagues!

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with the lens, it is just I cant get the lens in front of My eye, it is to the left of MY left eye, I need to be able to move it to the right by about 3-5mm, it is out of focus, its like having a smudge on the lens when its out of focus.

Weng :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can set both from what others said on the fly (no resets needed)

1 Like

This is likely going to be difficult to get a patch for because it will be viewed as a corner case (no pun intended).

Is the measured IPD from one eye center to another? I mean in real take a measure tape and measure by mirror?