GUIDE how to achieve Perfect Real View with Pimax IPD compensation

I assume that if we made a poll… and several users with differents IPDs adjust correctly the measure of Stereoscopic Depth… we can know what’s the perfect value of IPD offset and IPD hardware for each user.

3 Likes

This method will have its limitations to those that have to set the ipd to the hardware minimum

1 Like

I’m not sure how exactly but setting the IPD to -1.5 and then dialling the headset back to my measured 66.4 created a miracle!

I can see in real 3D now! It’s a world of difference, I thought I was seeing 3D before but nope, but I do now!! Wow!

I am so happy, it is amazing I thought I was seeing 3D before but clearly I did not, haha.

I tried using the SoftIPD before but it didn’t really click because I didn’t know which way to go. When you change the SoftIPD suddenly the dial shows a different number, so I wasn’t sure what to do with that. I just set the SoftIPD to -1.5 just to have a big effect and then just tried dialling back to my 66.4 and boom! I noticed the leaves and branches suddenly seem exactly 2 meters away where they should be. I truly had my mouth fall open and if I wasn’t such a badass I’m sure I would have teared up there too.

:sunglasses:

15 Likes

There really needs to a simple software that helps easily calibrate the Pimax for personal use.
It should be as easy as a 3D test image that you hone in on by adjusting settings step by step much as you do for 2D with monitors and/or GPU’s display settings.

13 Likes

All in due time. Soft ipd offset for example was needed.

Now once Eyetracking is out should be easier to have a program say set Hardware ipd to & Soft ipd offset to…

2 Likes

Eye tracking is a very incredible feature to achieve a perfect VR view and adjustments :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes! For me was only -0.5 of difference… but it was a world of distance! Now it’s real and I can play for hours heheh

4 Likes

With negative offset (-1.5) I was able to improve the 3-D effect. A nice side effect: world scale was a bit too big before, now it’s just right. Reference is my Lenovo Explorer. My ipd is 65.5.

Yen, many thanks for this efficient test procedure.

4 Likes

Thanks @Yen, I thought I had my IPD dialed in, but your suggestion to offset the SoftIPD eliminated a ‘nose overlap’ I was seeing in the middle of my view.

4 Likes

@kellerbach @g-coded it’s my pleasure! :smiley:

3 Likes

I actually now feel Pimax can potentially rule the VR scene with this epic improvement

6 Likes

To make such a massive difference for you, I am really wondering what you were looking at before this change?

For me a positive setting makes the world look much bigger until I reach a point of double vision in the distance but fine close up. A negative setting is the reverse.

3 Likes

Me too. It seems eyes are not as similar to everyone as it seems.

Maybe my brain was adding depth information from other aspects more than I realised.

3 Likes

If you recall @VRGIMP27 posted some monoscopic images.

This back and forth of what could work is getting ridiculous. We and an OFFICIAL way to setup your IPD from pimax that everyone can follow.

I.E step by step process of setting up the HMD for it to look correct for each user.
@pimaxusa Can we please get an official process for setting the correct IPD & IPD offset for the 5&8k? I’m going out of my mind with these posts.

As far risa2000 posts which are very helpful and insightful, I really do not care about them! I didn’t buy a HMD to do calculations on what the angle of screen is in relation to my IPD and distance of my eyes from the HMD. I want to calibrate my HMD once for me be done with it. (yes I do have my official IPD from my optometrists. Which is all I needed for my Vive)

15 Likes

You overestimated the company which produces your headset. It will come, but it will take some time and pushing from our side. It was the same with the 4K model. It’s both the charm of the small company and ofcourse also the frustration when comparing to the other players

4 Likes

Its time to stop with this. We are over 1 & 1/2 years out from when the kickstater was funded. They also had their 4k HMD piror to the kickstarter. that means 2 1/2 to 3 years in VR. Oculus and HTC/Vavle had just as much time before their HMD’s came out.
Also this is an ESSENTIAL component of a HMD. It should not be shipped with out instructions and this stuff worked out.

6 Likes

I sort of agree! It’s amazing how ppl on this forum figure stuff out and share it with the community. Actually that should make it even easier for Pimax to provide comprehensable How-To’s at an official level.
I for example do not get the how the hardware ipd and offset ipd play together and it’s a u necessary hit and miss procedure as I struggle with a black bar in the mid, supposably due to nose overlap. I can decrease this effect by entirely removing the facepad but this makes everything more uncomfortable. People report that the offset helps but finding the “right” hardware IPD in combination did not work for me for now.

A list of examples would help a lot at least as a starting point.
Let’s say something like (purely fictional)
If you’re measured (far) IPD is 66.5,
choose 64 (as the HMD shows near IPD?) as hardware IPD and fine tune offset accordingly in a range of ±0,5 2,0
Symetrical faces usually require less offset, where as less symetrical faces and low IPD may require higher offset values.
A calculater tool may come in handy to provide, more likely settings as a starting point.
If they implement eye tracking they gonna need sort of calculating anyway, so why not providing some math how those settings play together based on optricians (far?) IPD (and presamably thickness of facepad/distance to screen) in advance?

I do not get btw. why there is a left/right option for contrast. I’m no pro at all on that matter but I think a left/right option would be best for the IPD offset and may do a lot for a asymetrical faces?

@PimaxUSA

5 Likes

Well I agree and it was just a a bit of cynical fun. I was there when they worked on the 4K and figured all things learned would flow into the 8K development, like one would expect. It has just been an amazing paradoxal ride to see all this happening exactly the same again. I have simply given up on expecting anything truly professional and simply consider them a bunch of dudes doing a tech project that works out pretty well.

5 Likes

It seems to me like its actually the Vive scale that is off, not the Pimax’s.
Playing Elite:Dangerous with a Vive, your avatar has a stupidly tiny body. With Pimax it’s much closer to realistic size. It’s just missing the beer gut. :smiley:

5 Likes