Got my pimax artisan yesterday,here my impressions

Hello there,

The pimax artisan arrived yesterday so i had some time to test it…
First when i tried it there were again those sparkles in the image…

And yes a bad cable again,my luck i had one laying from my old pimax 5kplus.
After changing the cable the sparkles were gone,so again a bad quality control from pimax!

So a bad start again…

Also it came with not the comfort kit but with the old face plate,they send that afterwards but they told me that…so its okay and it arrived today…

I tried the artisan with the normal face plate and there was almost no distortion and almost no eyestrain so thats good!

But then i installed the comfort kit and that did pushed me away too far from the image and it did give me a worse image(i had this with the 8kplus too)

The image is a little better then the old 5kplus i used to have, so thats a another good thing.

But the colors are almost the same as the 8kplus,and that is for me not that great…I like the valve index better in color,comfort and sharpness and brightness.

But for the price its a nice device with some short comings,i would even prefer the artisan over the 8kplus! Also half life alyx did look great on the artisan!

So now i am waiting on the pimax 8kx,and let see how that device is…For now i am back to my index…

17 Likes

What exactly makes you think that the image is better then the 5k+ ?
I´m curious , since the 5k+ has: higher resolution, higher FOV and higher Framerate (144Hz) if you´re on SN 203/204.

Do you know the pixel per degree of both headsets? I don’t but would really like to. Martin was very quick to throw a lot of ppd numbers around when he found out about the new StarOne headset but didn’t answer my question about the ppd of the artisan. I suspect it has a higher ppd which is one of the reasons John2910 might feel it has a better image. But who knows until someone comes up with the numbers.

2 Likes

The Artisan have greater panel utilization, smaller display so the density increases a bit.

Take a look at Seviver Xtal Review. He will go over why the Xtal with the same pentile Oled had less Screen door than the 5k+

2 Likes

Well on the plus you have the og Gasket for when the 8kX arrives as it seems the comfory kit is not compatible. Which will likely make folks nervous about investing in one.

1 Like

Yep as @VR-TECH said. It may even have more ppi as a result as well if a smaller panel.

@john2910 can you checkout @risa2000 hmdq tool as I am sure he’d like to have another set of Artisan Data to compare.

1 Like

What do you mean Heliosurge that the comfort kit is not compatible? Have I missed something?

ReRead John’s post. He has had the 8k+ and now the Artisan. The Comfort kit is not compatible with his face shape. See quote Below says it all.

Comfort kit is going to be a hit and miss. They should give folks the option to received the improved face Gasket pictured just before summer.

2 Likes

OK, you mean not compatible with HIS face shape. I really wasn’t sure if I had missed something. I think we need to be clear on these things - as there’s a lot confusion out there already. I think you should edit your post to say ‘it seems the comfort kit doesn’t work for your face shape’.

2 Likes

My bad should know better with pimax details. :beers::wink::vulcan_salute::sparkles:

2 Likes

OMG, seriously? they started shipping with old housings that were known to have issues. ok, stuff happens. now they ship those sparkle cables, again?? „it‘s just the only faulty cable that was shipped, we tested all of them“ ;-irony aside:
good for you that you have a 2nd one.
I‘m sure it‘s a great HMD and it‘s a ton of fun but WTH?

7 Likes

i think indeed its has to do with that The Artisan have greater panel utilization…

What i also have reconised and that was also with the pimax 8kplus is that the tracking from the headset is not that good compared to the valve index…

i had on the artisan and on the pimax 8kplus sometimes skipping frames when i moved my head… this never happens on the valve index

3 Likes

Skipping frames is not bad tracking. It’s probably a rendering issue and You might have luck in tweaking the GPU catalyst setting down.

That said, we really shouldn’t have to… :wink:

8 Likes

My understanding is that these are not the “old housings”, but are improved housings which simply lack the rubberized coating. That coating is apparently somewhat pricy and therefor, not suitable for a low-cost headset like the Artisan.

4 Likes

This, i reproducibly get the same skipping when turning my head if i increase the catalyst setting above 0.

I ve had the same happen in earlier versions of pitool before the gpu catalyst slider had been added, when i did i would install an older version and the skipping would go away so i expect they have been playing with the catalyst setting between versions before exposing it to the user base.

2 Likes

Yeah. I’m almost certain that what they’ve been doing when people were complaining either about skipping or low utilisation… :wink:

Not sure how Valve did it as I don’t recall having issues with neither when using my Vive.

Maybe it was/is tweaked automatically when using the SteamVR rendering?

EDIT: Maybe that’s what the GPU values in the SteamVR settings are for? The ones that are automatically set/calculated (I believe there are ten from the last 10 sessions I guess)

1 Like

Cant recall any skipping on my Vive either, ive not been interested enough to look at cpu/gpu utilization to realize it wasnt topping out with my 5k+ and be angry about it… If games ran well then good, id increase ingame settings or render resolution until i found the sweet spot of looking its best for the performance of my machine.

2 Likes

Maybe so, I didn’t notice Pimax mentioning something like that but could have missed it.
There are at least 2 reports of cracking by Ludx and 16Bit, hopefully they received old housings.

2 Likes

The only apps which can fully utilize a GPU are benchmarks. In general, games will have a few different bottlenecks (CPU, GPU, memory bandwidth, etc.). Imo, GPU utilization isn’t a good measure of performance. What matters is overall framerate, especially the minimums.

3 Likes

This is totally right and causes a lot of confusion around here.

2 Likes