Got my 8k+! Mini review and screenshots ( ISSUE SOLVED ! )

Great pics! How do you avoid the Moiré effect and get such clean pics with a cell phone?

1 Like

Looks amazing thank you for taking the time to share your experience. What is your take on the build quality improvement?

3 Likes

OMG… 8K+ looks absolutely amazing… and with this FOV… 8Kx may be astonishing…

7 Likes

Dunno, I just stick my phone in there close enough to look through the sweet spot, and then move the camera around until it looks good. I generally take a buncha pictures moving the camera and the headset around and choose the best. It’s an iPhone XS, which has a pretty good camera.

8 Likes

Wow, thanks a lot for all the info and the great pictures you share with us. I am looking forward to my 8k+.

5 Likes

Do you feel any pressure on your face from wearing glasses inside the headset? When I wore glasses with my Index, I could feel the glasses pressing down on the bridge of my nose. Can you post a picture of your glasses?

What are your PC specs and how is the framerate on wide FOV at 90Hz or higher?

Can you take photos of the device itself? Like the comfort kit and all, I’ve hurd from konger it’s supposed to be pu leather not the foam

Hello Dreamwriter,

Thank you so much for supporting us! We do appreciate on the reviews, hopefully you can have a best VR experience with Pimax.

Sorry that we can’t deliver MAS along with the headset, but we are trying our best to. Please be patient for a bit, as you will receive it soon!

Have a nice day.

Sincerely,
Quorra.Pimax

3 Likes

I took this picture last night, to show a friend the relative size of the head strap compared to the Samsung Odyssey strap (which doesn’t fit him). I’ve never heard of leather or seen a single picture of a leather comfort-kit pad, that would suck - I have a leather face pad for my Quest, it gets extra hot, isn’t as comfortable as foam, and sticks to your face. Its advantages on Quest is, the sweet spot is so small the default foam easily slips down just enough to get your eyes out of the sweet spot; leather sticks to your face so it doesn’t happen. And it’s easier to wipe off when giving demos (I use my Quest at work).

The Pimax Vision face foam is very soft and comfortable.

Like I say, this is the best headset for glasses I’ve used - my glasses fit entirely within the headset without touching it at all.

I gave my computer specs earlier; framerate like any pc game is entirely dependent on the game you are playing and its settings.

13 Likes

Some more details:

Upgraded build quality: the rubberized coating is very noticeable, makes it feel more “premium” and far less likely to scratch. Aside from that, dunno - I never had problems with my 8k, aside from a scratch on the front that I just noticed. I can’t tell a difference on build quality, squeezing different parts seems to have about the same amount of “give” between the two.

Here’s what’s happening with my glasses in the Pimax headset (and a closeup of the foam as well). Note that the glasses frame fits entirely within without touching the foam on the sides - this is how it is when I wear the headset, it’s like my glasses are fitting neatly in a box. The facial foam keeps my face (and glasses) from getting close to touching the VR lenses as well, and when I take the headset off, my glasses stay on my face (Oculus Rift and Quest both liked to eat my glasses afterwards).

And to get a better sense of my glasses size (5.5" to 5.75" wide depending on where you measure), I chose them specifically for easier fitting in VR and AR headsets:

11 Likes

Through the Lens: A 4k YouTube video playing in BigScreen

25 Likes

You may have just sold me! Damb that looks sharp!

4 Likes

Do you think it would be easy to remove and reinsert the cable from the HMD? Imagine that you already have a wireless kit, which you don’t want to use in SIMs but only in standing games. Do you think it would be feasible to remove and put back the cable easily and without doing damage, on a daily basis?

1 Like

Okay now this is getting close to Imax quality. Could you try a non compressed 3D movie for us?

3 Likes

Looks like a really clean DVD quality in terms of the resolution of the movie in bigscreen. Very impressive for an 8K+

3 Likes

Could you try with a 3d movie and report back on visual comfort?

2 Likes

Just as comparison. This is footage I took through the lens of the Pimax 4K

And for real @SweViver When are you going to check out a Pimax 4K so you can tell us about the differences? I am so curious to learn your take on that

6 Likes

Do you like Avengers on 8K + ?

2 Likes

Just watched a full 2 hour movie in the 8k+, Top Gun 3D (I rented it in Bigscreen Cinema). The 3D comfort was fine, I had no problems with that - more comfortable 3D than in the theater because in the theater it can slightly blur if you move your head wrong, but not in VR. I can’t speak for the 3D quality, since this was of course shot as a 2D movie, then converted to 3D years later, but the 3D worked, I could clearly see the depth in the image, especially compared to the edges of the theater screen. The picture quality was good for a 30 year old movie - occasionally I saw film grain. But it wasn’t an amazingly sharp experience - no SDE, good colors, but 10 mbps isn’t really enough for a 1080p 3D movie.

The headset comfort was as good as you can get with this kind of flexible strap - good enough for a 2 hour movie, but I wouldn’t have really wanted much longer, felt good to take off. No pressure marks on my face afterwards.

18 Likes

Have you considered the Vive DAS mod in the mean time until your MAS arrives?

3 Likes